Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 nothing gold can stay

Looks like that’s everyone doing CD quality now! Did the five families have a meeting at Bada Bing?

jokes aside this is a good thing. Now if they enable bit perfect gapless streaming w Apple TV and Chromecast I’ll be set.

Crawdad, Encore, Mindhead1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn’t trust what Tidal is doing. Most likely they are still giving you MQA and just removing the name off of it. Better off using another service if you can.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Manutius, Crawdad, SKBubba and 3 others like this.
  3. Stereosound

Worth looking at them and seeing how many are complaining in each as to get a read on where problem areas lie for each service.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. noladaoh

noladaoh Forum Resident

I’m in the Apple ecosystem so I just started a 90 day free trial. I bought a HomePod mini just for fun to play with. I must say I am shocked at how tight and articulate the base is when I place it on my mantle next to the wall. When I move to a table, not nearly as good. For casual listening it is much better than I anticipated.

Freebird likes this.
  5. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Tried Qobuz, SQ was great but their app etc. was very glitchy, to the point of annoying.
    Never tried Tidal.
    Already Amazon prime member so I upgraded.
    With the Node 2i, Amazon hi res comes through my dac bit perfect, and it shows it on the dac.
    As with every service some hi res stuff is amazing and some well meh. Sometimes the CD version is better quality than the hi res probably due to up sampling.

displayname and Mindhead1 like this.
  6. The critics of MQA and Tidal seem to be a lot louder than those that favor it. Just look at the pole results, Tidal sits comfortably in second.

displayname likes this.
  7. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Well-Known Member

This is a good move for Tidal. It makes them more price competitive. Pricing was a large reason a chose Qobuz over Tidal. Paying a premium for MQA ,are no sense to me since I have no MQA gear.

Qobuz will need to step things up to survive in terms of app quality and connectivity options. The addition of Tidal Connect makes is another strong move by Tidal.

8. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Qobuz app and connectivity issues is what drove me away from them, they have a lot of work to do to get me back.
    Kind of sucks because they by far have the best SQ.

9. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

for now. Amazon haven't long been in the hi res game. give it a few years and it'll be them and Spotify having the lions share, with the rest picking up the scraps

BSU and Freebird like this.
  10. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Only way Amazon can be more successful is if they get their heads out of their arses and become more compatible with a larger variety of streaming devices besides the Node 2i.
    The Node is the only device I know of that streams Amazon hi res bit perfect but I could be wrong.

displayname, Mindhead1 and Freebird like this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

This will determine whether I will re-up with them for a second year. It's been fine with 96/24 content, but not 192/24.

Steve356 likes this.
  12. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

192/24 is where I had a ton of issues as well on multiple devices, but mainly streaming from a nice laptop at the time I had Qobuz

I have since moved on from computer streaming, to archaic for me.

13. What was your next step or where do you find yourself now?

14. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Well, because I use Amazon as my service I am kind of stuck with the Node.
    Which at this point in time is a good bit of kit for the price to stream hi res, at least to me anyways

Freebird likes this.
  15. I’d love to take the Node for a test drive. It doesn’t looks like it performs as well with Apple Music in regards to functionality.

However, Apple Music has allowed access to the Google Home Mini device which talks with the Node so there may be a legitimate path to integrate the Node into the Apple ecosystem.

16. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Not sure on the apple integration, I personally am not an apple fan, love hate relationship for me.

I don't see me parting ways with the node anytime soon.

Great streamer, I am not fond of the internal dac, its not bad by any means just did not work for me.

17. I’ve read the word ‘dull’ used when talking about the Nodes potential DAC shortcomings.

I take it you have an external DAC connected.

I wonder what differentiates the Node from something like the Google Audiocast that provides a digital out at a fraction of the cost.

18. Stereosound

19. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Amazon Music will buy-out a large competitor as streaming devices become more mainstream. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they buy Tidal within the next 12 months.

Roger P likes this.
  20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Replace Node with all BluOS devices and you would be closer.

Freebird likes this.
  21. Mindhead1

Absolutely this. I would have probably gone with Amazon for hi-res if they made it easier to use with non-Amazon devices. I use a Raspberry Pi for streaming and Spotify, Tidal, and Qobuz make it relatively easy to use their services with the RPi and get the hi res quality.

22. Mindhead1

Via Chromecast Audio I can’t use Qobuz over 16/44. Qobuz needs a Qobuz Connect option like Spotify and Tidal and while they are developing that need to improve the app.

23. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Do you see Apple or Amazon integrating with Roon?

24. Mindhead1

If your looking for a quality streaming option at a killer price point you should be looking at Raspberry Pi based streamers. They support AirPlay and Bluetooth if your an Apple Music, YouTube Music or other lossy service user, they can playback local or network FLAC/MP3/AAC, they support Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect (depending on OS used), can be used as room end points(if you are into that) and can also support Tidal and Qobuz via UpNP. All this can be had for less than $100.

Freebird likes this.
  25. Can you direct me to a web source so I can educate myself more? I’m interested.