Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Well-Known Member

The following are a couple of good posts to get you up to speed. I’m happy to answer any questions. My RPi setup is the best $200 i have spent on audio in a long time.

My setup uses MoOde for the OS and includes a SPDIF HAT (John Darko video describes these), but if I was setting up a new RPi now using the latest RPi 4 I would bypass the HAT and use the native USB out into a USB DAC. This the sub $100 price point.

Personal Raspberry Pi music streamer - Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi audio streaming 101 | Darko.Audio

Freebird, Mugrug12 and 500Homeruns like this.
  2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Also, the Pecan Pi from Orchard is getting great reviews (although more expensive).

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Also John Darko latest... getting TIDAL Connect on Raspberry Pi

500Homeruns likes this.
  4. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

I’d sit tight on BluOS for the moment. They’ve been teasing a major announcement on May 10. Not sure if it is for an updated product, branding change, or something more subtle like Apple Music integration. As an owner of a Node 2, not the 2i, I’d welcome the latter development.

500Homeruns likes this.
  5. yamfan

yamfan Well-Known Member

Also there are so many classical music radio streaming, WFMT for example from Chicago.

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unless Amazon just wanted to put Tidal out of business immediately they have no reason to buy them out. Not to mention Tidal was just purchased by Jack Dorsey and Square. We’ll see how much more Tidal will screw up or not going forward. Not looking too good so far however...

displayname and BSU like this.
  7. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Yeah I didn't know about the Square acquisition. I also didn't realize Tidal has only a 5% share of the streaming market. It wouldn't really make much sense for Amazon unless they can get it at a large discount to it's current market cap.

8. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

I thought the Node was the only BluOS device that would stream Amazon hi res?
    So.your saying some.of the other equipment that has the BluOS operating system is Amazon hi res compatible?
    I tried reading up on the other devices and I can't find one that is compatible or at least say anything about it.
    Maybe I am missing something, which would not surprise me.

9. 500Homeruns

I have an NAD M12 preamp with an MDC BluOS module installed. I can stream Amazon in full hi-res. There are newer NAD units than mine. I can’t imagine newer equipment couldn’t also stream Amazon in hi-res.

10. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

That's good to know, thanks

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 nothing gold can stay

Qobuz does have Qobuz connect.

12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Tidal Connect was a great move, but it's almost too little too late. Tidal's overal functionality has always been second to Spotify for me. I keep Spotify because I like the UI and suggestions better everywhere outside of my main system.

With Spotify Hifi on the horizon, I'll only keep Tidal if it somehow sounds noticeably better than Spotify hifi, which I doubt.

Really? I must have missed that announcement. But I admittedly don't track Qobuz as closely because I'm not a subscriber.

13. Mugrug12

Yes I started an account a couple weeks ago and use it.

I think I will ditch it when Spotify lossless comes out, but will wait to see if they mess it up some how!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    displayname likes this.
  14. Mugrug12

Can you tweek a raspberry pi to stream over WiFi, or Ethernet only?

15. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

It works fine over WiFi, which is built in.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  16. 500Homeruns

I’d be curious to know what you are using for Qobuz “Connect” because I just used the Qobuz app from my iPhone to my NAD M12 and there is no Connect option like Spotify and Tidal have.

17. Mindhead1

Using Chromecast and Airplay aren’t the same as Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect.

500Homeruns likes this.
  18. Mindhead1

RPi can do WiFi or Ethernet. I use mine over WiFi. No issues.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

You can read about Qobuz Connect right on their website:

Qobuz Connect is a feature that allows you to connect your Qobuz app to a wide range of equipment, including hi-fi equipment, car stereos, and multi-room equipment. The Qobuz application therefore naturally serves as the hub for the media center.

Qobuz Connect is not a proprietary format. It is therefore designed to work with a wide range of brands and devices. Of course, it requires the manufacturer to implement the option on the device.

20. Mugrug12

You are right about airplay but wrong about Chromecast which does support Spotify/tidal/qobuz connect. Streaming direct from their servers.

displayname likes this.
  21. Mugrug12

I’ve been using Chromecast audio. Do you see this icon in the top right corner of the qobuz app?

[​IMG]

like Spotify connect you can power off your phone or take a call and it keeps playing. The Chromecast is bit perfect to 24/96 but that’s the highest sample rate it can do.

22. Mindhead1

I get it, but Qobuz “Connect” is not implemented the same way that Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect are.

Also, Qobuz and Chromecast Audio doesn’t work well. On multiple CCA devices playing anything over 16/44 via CCA results in stuttering. Also, there is no hapless playback support.

displayname likes this.
  23. Mugrug12

How does it differ? I use Spotify connect and qobuz connect and they seem the same. I’ve never used tidal.

sharedon likes this.
  24. 500Homeruns

Qobuz doesn’t have a “Connect” option yet. They will tell you that they don’t, but they say that they are working on it. Not sure of the timeframe though.

displayname and Steve356 like this.
  25. Mugrug12

It does though, I’ve been using it daily for two weeks. Maybe it’s in select markets only? See the poster’s link below. It has the same icon and functionality as Spotify connect at my place with the dac reading the correct sample rate.

Qobuz - Your music everywhere with you

sharedon likes this.