Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I think this will turn out to be important down the road.

2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Stereosound

From Deezer’s reddit page:

[​IMG]
    r/deezer

[​IMG]hutch_man01d

Deezer plans for "fan powered royalty" artist payment system?
    Discussion
    [​IMG]
    I recently got Deezer Premium but came across Soundcloud's "fan powered royalties" which seem sooo much better than the pro rata system currently used by most streaming services. It is fair and that's the way it should be. Artists should be paid directly instead of just making the big artists richer. Should we push for Deezer to adopt a 'fan powered royalty' system to make it more equitable? Is Deezer looking at this?
    SoundCloud Is Trying to Fix the Broken Way Streaming Services Pay Artists

9 Comments sorted byNew

[​IMG]DisconnectedAG
    Top Contributor
    15h

Ok, hi guys. There's a lot here to unpack, so will try to be succinct in the face of complexity.

First, some context. The way ALL major streaming services with mainstream catalog (abt 70m tracks right now) work today is that we all operate on a market share based payment system. To put it simply - the royalties assigned to a certain artist are calculated on the that artist's share of the overall market (pool) of streams. To illustrate: If User A and User B both pay 5 Euro a month (we're going to ignore the 30% we take from that), the total pool of money for each month is €10. User A plays only Taylor Swift and streams 900 songs a month. User B plays only Aerosmith and plays 100 songs a month. In this scenario, €9 of the royalties will be assigned to the rights holder for Taylor Swift's music and €1 to Aerosmith.

Does this sound fair to you? It shouldn't. Given that both users pay the same amount, there is really no reason that the money from user B should go to the artist listened by user A. What **should** happen is that all of the money from user A should go to Taylor Swift and all money from user B should go to Aerosmith.

This is the user centric approach. We call it a User Centric Payment System (UCPS for short, we haven't done as good a job as Soundcloud in naming things smartly here). Under a User Centric Payment System, the money you pay is divided ONLY between artists you love.

We started talking about trialling UCPS around 2017. In 2019 we launched our first public campaign about it. In 2019 we launched a website to explain how it works. We have everything in place to launch a UCPS pilot on Deezer and we've been ready for a couple of years now.

Your next question should be: Why haven't you launched it then? The answer is, unfortunately, fairly simple: in order to do so, we have to get all labels to agree to a pilot. We can't launch with only some labels agreeing to a user centric approach, because it's not possible to calculate market share if some royalties are paid on a user centric basis and some on the old market share one. We've provided a lot of data to labels over the last 3 years, but these decisions are complex, and we haven't been allowed to get a pilot off the ground.

But Soundcloud clearly has gotten their pilot off the ground, what you're saying must be wrong.

Unfortunately not. Soundcloud has done a very cool thing, which is to change how revenues for their direct registered (I'm not using their proper terminology) artists are paid. We think it's a great initiative and for a lot of artist it matters a lot. However, it's important to understand that Soundcloud haven't managed to get the major labels to agree to a pilot, so royalties for their label-provided catalog are paid exactly as ours and everybody else's. On a market share basis. So things still really aren't fair for a vast majority of artists around the world.

That's not what I expected. How can I help?

At the time of writing this, Deezer is the only major global streaming service that's ready to launch a UCPS pilot at any stage. We have the processes ready, the tech is ready and we're super keen. We have been talking and pushing for this for the last several years. Every voice that helps share the situation today and how it could work helps. You as fans matter, and you make a difference. You can reach out to artists you love and ask them to look into it. You'd be surprised how many artists don't know how the system works today. Their voices matter and will help change labels' minds. You can also help us amplify the conversation. And you can (rightly) support initiatives like Soundcloud's, that raise awareness and make life better for a large number of musicians out there.

BTW, I'm happy to answer any questions on user centric that people may have, so just use this thread.(see Reddit)

4. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

5. Stereosound

6. Stereosound

Interview with Music Direct:

7. Stereosound

8. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

I agree with the premise of the article, despite it reading in part like an Amazon press release.

9. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

If Apple goes Hi-Fi, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Apple iPhones without a headphone jack now? Wireless headphones would limit the ability to enjoy Hi-Fi rates?

10. Stereosound

The majority perhaps but not everyone uses new phones or WiFi headphones. Plus hopefully they improve the specs for future phones and headphones at least so those customers can.

britt2001b likes this.
  11. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

Yes. Most people who are steaming aren’t going to realize the benefit of any hifi service under normal usage.

britt2001b likes this.
  12. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I use Apple Music through Airplay, which uses WiFi at 16/48. I’m sure Apple knows lots of customers uses airplay and CarPlay to stream and not bluetooth. But you can still hardwire using the lightning Jack as well.

Billy Infinity and britt2001b like this.
  13. ludovicien

ludovicien Forum Resident

I'm 3 weeks into a Spotify trial after a few months with Qobuz. When it's over I'm going to spring for a year of Qobuz at €14.99/mth vs €9.99/mth for Spotify.
    Mainly listening on Sennheiser HD 600 via headphone out of an LG V40 or Chromecast Audio > optical out > dac > amp.
    I appreciate the convenience of having podcasts integrated within Spotify but I find the interface too busy, Google podcasts is fine and I don't really care about the algorithms.
    Qobuz just sounds better so I'll pay a little more.

14. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

woodpigeon likes this.
  15. Stereosound

16. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Has anyone tried the new Audirvana Studio that went on line today? I've noticed a definite sound improvement over Audirvana 3.5 after activating the new kernel streaming setting. They added a interesting nifty little feature that will tell you if the track is true hi-rez or an up sample.

[​IMG]

contium and Kristofferabild like this.
  17. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Anyone curious about the Apple Music Lossless and Lossless Hi Res announcement? Supposed to be happening tomorrow. Those of us with Bluesound equipment will presumably still be left out in the cold though.

18. PAYUPSKI

PAYUPSKI Well-Known Member

I use Tidal with my Blusound streamer.

19. I am.
    [​IMG]

20. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Exactly , but I might force other companies to lower the price of their hifi subscriptions.

woodpigeon likes this.
  21. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

It's official...

Apple Music announces Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio

Apple Music announces Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos; will bring Lossless Audio to entire catalog
    The next generation of sound on Apple Music is coming to subscribers June 2021 at no additional cost

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  22. Stereosound

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Forum Resident

24. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident

Darko's take: Apple Music confirms lossless streaming for $9.99/month | Darko.Audio

As today’s announcement reminds us, Apple Music running on the iPhone will top out at 24bit/48kHz. And let us not forget that almost all Android operating systems resample all outgoing audio to 48kHz (CD-quality included). Only on the desktop (MacOS/Windows) will we access Apple Music’s ‘true audiophile’ sample rates (96kHz and 192kHz) without them being kneecapped or shapeshifted.

The question Apple has yet to answer is just how Airpods users will be able to pull anything but lossy-encoded audio streams over Bluetooth from their smartphones to their Apple headphones/earphones.

britt2001b likes this.
  25. Stereosound