Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Manutius

Manutius Active Member

You can forget about big corporations like Apple or Amazon providing high resolution music properly. They only care about big numbers and clueless average users. High resolution is a task for specialized providers that know what they're doing, pay attention to detail, service a knowledgeable and demanding customer base, and whose business depends on getting this one thing right.

Staxus and Billy Infinity like this.
  2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Stereosound

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Looking at the pole, Tidal has double the subscribers here as Qobuz.

5. Stereosound

Does not really mean too much just a possible general guide and only users of this site have voted. Many could have switched services by now and not changed their vote for whatever reason. Also hard to take into account how many use more than one service and which service do they really use/like the most? Which service are most new streamers signing up with compared to those that may be settled on a service? Plus some of the services votes were from before lossless was more available which is why Tidal may have more votes than it should now. Also not every service is available in every country so that may also skew some people’s real choice. Also some people could be dishonest and pumping the numbers(I would hope not but this is the internet after all). Qobuz’s numbers have also been growing it seems compared to Tidal. Too many variables to make a definite assessment. If Atmos takes off maybe Apple will surge? Pretty close with Amazon Music. Time will tell. I know you are fooled into mqa and therefore want Tidal to stay but mqa has been shot full of holes and most people see it for what it is and tend to stay away from it. Will have to see what if anything Tidal’s new owner does with the company. I still think Qobuz sounds better than Tidal mqa or not. Although Tidal has better features than Qobuz currently. Neither company has released subscriber numbers publicly lately to my knowledge either so no one really knows other than the companies themselves. Odds are both are still much smaller than most of the competitors though.

Billy Infinity, McLover and Manutius like this.
  6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Exactly, Qobuz got a late start, so you would have to change your vote if you switched. I hadn't updated mine in a while, but I did go and make it AM and Qobuz for now. Don't know if I will stick with Qobuz or not...leaning against it.

Also, the poll is an outlier. No way Tidal is close to AM, so that means the poll is incredibly skewed away from the the population outside this forum.

7. Stereosound

Agree with the skew but just a thought for yourself and others of course, should not abbreviate AM at all. Amazon Music, Apple Music, AM Radio, Before Noon or After Midnight?:shh::shake:;)

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

When did Qobuz start ? and how long does it take to change over ?
    3 years with Tidal, 100% satisfied.

9. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

The original poll is from 2016.. Qobuz came to the USA in 2019. While it is easy enough to update the poll, most are not revisiting old polls and updating them over and over for nearly 5 years. I only revisited for Apple Music. If you don’t care, you probably aren’t back in this thread.

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I suppose.
    I usually update when a thread comes to the top of the list but I may be an exception. :shrug:

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I and probably others aren’t here watching posts all day. This forum is so busy, a thing posted this morning could be on page three by the afternoon. I will usually look at the first page or search for the thing I am interested in when I am here. I personally don’t have the time to revisit every thread unless I am quoted…then I make the effort. This may be the first time I have ever updated a poll.

Sorry Apple Music is already widely known as AM! No one is talking about AM radio in a paid streaming thread and I think Amazon should have to call it Fire Music or something… just kidding.. will keep that in mind. :D

BayouTiger and Tim 2 like this.
  12. Stereosound

Well they can’t call it Alexa Music either. :cheers:

uofmtiger likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I know what your saying and agree, I don't have all day either.
    Saw this poll/thread at the top of the list after work and checked it out.

14. Stereosound

15. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Had to update my vote.
    Was using Tidal.
    Am now convinced that MQA is of no benefit to anybody other than MQA Ltd.

Cancelled Tidal, now use Qobuz. Very happy with it. Lost a few library albums from Tidal, but also gained a few in Qobuz.

Swings and roundabouts.

Manutius, Staxus and uofmtiger like this.
  16. Stereosound

You can try requesting titles missing in Qobuz’s catalog here: Why don't you have this? - Airtable

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  17. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I expect Apple to continue to lead in the arena of streaming service. Their offering of Lossless and Dolby ATMOS is quite compelling for any who desire a high quality stereo or multi-channel music streaming experience.

19. dwilpower

dwilpower Well-Known Member

So here we are at a pivotal moment in time- not quite as important as AC vs DC Tesla/Edison or BETAMAX vs VHS but the streaming services are fighting it out for their share of a growing lucrative market. Although I've finally got my head around the idea of RENTING music rather than buying a physical product I'm still hesitant to invest time and effort in a system that might easily fall by the wayside- at 60 I've been stung too many times from being an enthusiastic early adopter- first out of the trenches usually get shot! I've got my head around ROON as a user friendly hub but who to choose to deliver the sounds? Meantime I'll hang fire... or maybe not- HELP!

20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

If you now have an iPhone or an Apple TV you can enjoy both Hi-Res, as well as Dolby ATMOS for about $9.99 a month from Apple Music with literally no time or effort in set up to enjoy the experiences; plus, your thought about streaming services falling to the wayside, at least for Apple or Amazon, is really a baseless fear.

Billy Infinity and uofmtiger like this.
  21. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Well-Known Member

Thats a very expensive solution. I can’t see using Apple Music if it doesn’t expand support for working with more streaming software and/or supports UpNP like Qobuz.

My streamer of choice is the Raspberry Pi. Buying $600+ Mac Mini to sit in an audio setup seems like a huge waste of money to me. And I’m an Apple fan and own a Mac Mini.

One option that I need to try out is iPad to USB dac. I recently picked up an iPad Air which has USB-C. This might be an interesting way to get hi-res Apple Music into a setup. It also seems like a good way to use Qobuz native app in a hi fi setup.

I wonder if there is a way to remotely control an iPad? An iPad could become an awesome streamer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Manutius and Crawdad like this.
  22. dwilpower

dwilpower Well-Known Member

I do have an i-phone and Amazon Prime but I have only dabbled with Prime Music on a couple of occasions. I've bought so many CDs with free downloads that I've never activated. I still have my i-pod, thousands of mp3 files that I rarely listen to- a great un tapped reservoir of potential. There just seems to be some missing link in the chain- apart from me!

Sterling1 likes this.
  23. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

To clarify, the Apple TV must be the 4K edition, as the 4th generation doesn’t include a lossless option.

Sterling1 likes this.
  24. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

That's the main reason I have Amazon Music on my phone even during those times when I don't subscribe to anything above Prime . Hell, I was given the gift of a complete set of auto rips of the Beatles 2009 Stereo albums! I know I bought the albums from Amazon but it was a nice belated thank you. It says I have 3419 song in my library via auto rip. Not bad for free.

25. Stereosound

Most of the services offer free or low cost trial periods. It would be a good way for you to check them out and decide for yourself. I have issues with all of them as no single one has all the features and content I would like but everyone’s use case is different which is why so many people choose a different one. Qobuz is the smallest but they focus on the best sound quality and think they can maintain as a niche base for now although they will possibly try and grow over time. All the other major services have a lot more money backing them but some act like music is an afterthought. The only one I would recommend staying away from is Tidal due to their use of MQA. If they get rid of it completely then they may be ok otherwise it’s not a good idea although some people have it in regions where they don’t have much of a choice if they want higher resolution than mp3. Pandora and YouTube Music are the only holdouts from offering CD or higher resolution if that matters to you. Spotify doesn’t yet either but they announced it is forthcoming but may take them a little longer than expected as Apple has just upped the game a little. Not clear but Deezer may be lowering it’s price or will have to add higher resolution than just CD that it offers now. Using Qobuz with Audivarna or Roon helps to fix Qobuz’s feature set shortcomings in order to better compete with the bigger companies but that comes at an added cost at least until Qobuz improves it’s native app. With free or low cost trials the music streaming services are worth looking into then you can better decide if you want it to begin with or not as well as if you do which service(s) may be more to your liking and you can decide from there which to go with or keep your eyes on a little longer.

Crawdad and SKBubba like this.