Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Even more interesting that Apple says it plans to launch a standalone classical app (we'll see if that ever happens). Of course, Primephonic itself will be shut down, like Lala before it, and whichever other acquisitions by Apple that I've forgotten about.

Apple acquires Primephonic classical music streaming service to improve Apple Music

Primephonic users can continue to use the service for free until it is shut down on September 7, and they can get six months of Apple Music for free. Apple will release a dedicated app for classical music next year that will have features that Primephonic are familiar with, plus “more added features.”

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Exactly, which is why they will lose quite a few in the process.

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Spotify subscribers who would prefer Amazon’s pricing for “HD” music streaming would already be switching now, though, right? I don’t see how Spotify charging more for a service that is an improvement over their current service loses customers who currently have alternatives available but have not yet cancelled their Spotify subscriptions.

MikaelaArsenault and displayname like this.
  4. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

I see what you're saying, I just think quite a few people are going to be assuming the price will stay the same. I've tried em all and I think Spotify is the best one I've used. Which is why many have stuck around.

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I am hoping that Apple’s Music app gains support for more Classical fields such as Conductor, Ensemble, Recording Location, etc.

Bevok, MikaelaArsenault and Manutius like this.
  6. Manutius

Manutius Well-Known Member

Less choice and more concentration into mediocre providers that pay little attention to quality and detail such as Apple and Amazon.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Well it's still a very fragmented market with lots of players, including a start up that is still the market leader. But between its use of its pricing power and now its rollup move, albeit a niche rollup, Apple bears watching, not just by consumers but poasibly the FTC.

8. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Well-Known Member

I was very happy with the quality of Amazon's stream. But the user interface is not very good.

9. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

I got turned on to Spotify a few years ago by a friend in Mexico. Hooked, no hope of ever giving it up. Tried Amazon and found that it complemented Spotify Premium at times but didn't really prove itself necessary. Recently I started a Qobuz Studio trial courtesy of Music Direct. In the car, Spotify wins hands down. It feels like they have a deeper library (despite things occasionally disappearing) and Qobuz seems to be plagued with the occasional dropout or freeze even with 5G...reminds me of Sirius/XM when driving in an area with trees...like that's not possible in the PNW. At home Spotify still has more of what I want to hear, but with the benefits of WIFI and a good DAC, Qobuz sounds amazing. Looks like it will be a keeper. Between the two I would think I have it covered.

10. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Can't remember if I replied here before or not, but having tried most of the paid streaming services, my favourite is still unquestionably the (free) Radio Paradise. I find that the music they play suits my tastes well, and has led to far greater musical discovery than either Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz. And it's free (though donations are welcome) - www.radioparadise.com

PS. I know that it's not really a streaming service as such, but I listen to it way more than Tidal (for which I have a trial that's about to expire)...

11. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Well-Known Member

I think it's OK to call Radio Paradise a streaming service. Also SiriusXM.

oktapod and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

I’m quite optimistic about the new Apple Music experience. They have a good record of innovation and delivering as promised. Just over two weeks from their recent lossless/Spacial audio announcement I was sitting enjoying it, for example.

They’ve quietly been improving the classical experience anyway recently, I discover some good material via the playlists, the articles on new releases are well written and often include interviews with the artist, metadata is much better (my search works well, now playing shows work, movement, composer and artist pretty consistently) and I love the video performances. I think with perhaps Primephonic’s editorial (e.g. background on works), Maestro commentary, customisable radio and podcasts it’ll be a fantastic experience.

I haven’t really used Spotify for classical, any commentary on that experience? I use Qobuz also but I would have to say Apple is probably better for the above reasons (can’t see the composer on mixed albums for example) except for in hifi integration (although Chromecast is still ropey) and the fact booklets are available.

15. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I thought I would try the Spotify Blend feature, so following the instructions I went to Made for You section and clicked on create a blend. Nothing. So I went to about and found I did not have the latest version. Ah ha! I updated only to find the made for you section no longer had create a blend. Hmm....

displayname likes this.
  16. Stereosound

17. Stereosound

18. Stereosound

19. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

Deezer Hifi offers a 25% discount on their £14.99pm plan if you pay for an annual subscription for their 16 bit/CD quality service. The total is just £89.91 which is the equivalent of just under £7.50 per month and is a complete bargain from my perspective. Just shows how competitive the market is becoming.

20. Stereosound

While there has been speculation of Deezer lowering the price of it’s HiFi plan to probably just include it in it’s premium plan there has been no news about it yet. Also never seen a way to pay for Deezer HiFi plan upfront for the year for a discount just the Premium plan which is only 320kbps mp3 quality. The Deezer USA site is still only showing separate premium and HiFi plans with only the Premium plan offering an upfront discount. Deezer HiFi $14.99/month. Deezer Premium $9.99/month or annually upfront $89.91.

21. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Galley and woody like this.
  22. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

I worry about paying a year upfront because what happens if they go out of business? I take it you won't get any money back.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Between this, and purchasing Tidal HiFi with the Best Buy discount, I’m getting both services for the same price as subscribing to Tidal directly.

Billy Infinity and displayname like this.
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

25. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

They did this exactly five days after renewing my annual plan at the old price (33% higher). And it does not appear that they are willing to do prorated refunds. :mad: I'll be eligible for the lower price next September, if Qobuz is still in business at that point.

I agree that the high-res discounts do make the Sublime tier worthwhile, even at the higher price.