Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

My crystal ball is no better than anyone else's, but if I had to guess, I would think that someone would buy them and your subscription would be applied to the new owner's service.

kings81 likes this.
  2. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

Boo!

3. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I paid £89.94 for an annual subscription of Deezer Hifi last October. This was after I'd cancelled my previous membership just before the deadline day for automatic renewal. I gave Amazon Music, Tidal and Qobuz a trial for a month but in the end nothing came close to matching the Deezer offer for price, value and quality . I will most likely look to do the same thing next month. If I can't get any where near this price again then I will probably look again at Amazon and Qobuz for my streaming services.

Routing Deezer subscription plans via my Sonos account tends to bring up the best deals in my experience.

hifisoup and Bevok like this.
  4. AndyCC72

AndyCC72 Active Member

I think you’re right, I’ll definitely be cancelling my Tidal subscription once Spotify go high res. I love the Spotify functionality and I have a lot of playlists I’ve created over 6 years.

5. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I am trying to remain patient for this. I was on the annual renewal plan for Tidal via Best Buy. I went ahead and canceled, placing my best on Spotify hopefully rolling out soon-ish.

AndyCC72 and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Hifi Spotify won't impact my Qobuz sub. I'm keeping that. I don't really expect Spotify to have the audiophile features of Qobuz -- like bit perfect transfer to DAC -- or the the support for the third party software I use like Audirvana and USB Audio Player Pro. I only keep my Spotify sub because its library is different from Qobuz' so there's material on Spotify I don't otherwise have access to, and because my wife uses it. I just also keep a Deezer sub because it has a Spotify-like library and 16/44 lossless files. But it also doesn't have all those other audiophile and other sound features so for me that one will go. I realize that the playlists seem to be the big barriers to exit for a lot of end users. Personally I almost neve make or listen to playlists so I don't care about that.

7. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

No harm in asking their support for refund.

Bungo likes this.
  8. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

At my age, I don't love getting up to turn the record over either, but having given Tidal and Spotify a try from my laptop through a Schiit Modi, the sound quality just isn't worth another major front end investment and learning a whole new set of jargon. I really hate jargon.

Prime Music is okay for auditioning new music I come across before heading to Discogs or Ebay for the 12 incher. I wonder how many of us who listen primarily to unamplified music and grew up when digital referred to appendages, do all their listening with streaming or downloads.

9. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Interesting. I find streaming Qobuz lossless 16/44 and higher res files as good or sometime better sound quality than I get from any other source in my system and with not real new investment in a front end -- I stream to my DAC via USB from my laptop, all already sunk equipment costs. I'm primarily a jazz and classical listener. Grew up in the vinyl era. Really love streaming and enormously happy not to have to buy and hold hard copy with every new recording I'm interested in hearing. Streaming is my first choice for new and new to me music listening. I'll only buy a CD if the material is not streaming in at least 16/44.1 lossless or if the material has been released on a tiny label where I'm concerned about future availability and I'm very interested in the work or performer and I know I'll want to listen to it over and over and over again. Vinyl I haven't bought in 20 years unless there's something I want to hear that's still only available on vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Jerry James, Bevok, kings81 and 3 others like this.
  10. Apple Music up another tenth of a percent.

11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. Stereosound

13. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Just sent a note to customer support asking if they could change my annual rate for Sublime to the new $180 price given that my renewal at the old price was less than a week before that date. I'll update here when/if they respond.

I'll keep the subscription either way because I like the service and think it's worth the money, but obviously I'll feel better about it if they'll give me the cheaper price. :p

14. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Update: I received the following response this morning:

"Thanks for contacting Qobuz’s support. I hope you’re doing well in these exasperating times. I’m happy to help. Qobuz will offer some customers who have current plans a chance to subscribe to a new plan at the new pricing with a prorated refund. If you are eligible, the Qobuz team will notify you by email, and the prorated amount will be in your shopping basket."

So far so good, and impressive to receive a response within 24 hours. Not that I have a reason to expect bad customer service from Qobuz in particular, I just expect it from everyone these days.

I'll update again if they come through with a prorated refund.

Manutius, OldSoul, kings81 and 2 others like this.
  15. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Great customer service there.

saturdayboy and Bungo like this.
  16. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Well-Known Member

Wow. I decided not to request a partial refund on my recent subscription, and I feel good about it now. I like good companies to thrive. :thumbsup:

Manutius likes this.
  17. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I probably would have shrugged and let it slide if it had been a bit longer since my annual renewal, but it was only six days before the price change. I'm not going to be too unhappy if they won't adjust my price, but since it was such a close call, I don't feel unreasonable making the request, and I'm happy that they're at least considering it.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely. I didn't intend my post to be critical of anyone else. I'm fortunate to be in the financial position I'm in.

Bungo likes this.
  19. Stereosound

20. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

One feature that I would love to see disappear in Spotify is continually asking me if I want to use Waze when I am in the car. I've looked at settings to disable it but am I overlooking something? As far as Qobuz, I wish it integrated with BluOs. Still, they are both keepers regardless.

displayname likes this.
  21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I use Spotify in my car all the time via Android Auto or bluetooth, and I have never been asked if I want to use Waze (which I do not use). I operate my phone in offline mode only in my car, only listening to albums and playlists I have downloaded to my phone, so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

While not a service I have been listening to a lot of Radio Paradise main mix. The guy can make some timely selections!
    He must be an audio fan too because much of the music seems like borderline audiophile recordings and the sound quality of the stream is also excellent.

23. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Likely the difference...the car is pre-Android Auto so bluetooth is how it rolls and not in offline mode. But...I looked again and found Connect to Apps in the settings and under Navigation & Other Apps I found how to toggle it off. Not quite sure how I missed that before. I'm sure they dropped that in as a default during the Spotify app upgrade.

brownie61 likes this.
  24. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I haven't bought any new music in ages (records or CDs) so if I don't own it, I stream it. I find Spotify and Pandora quite pleasing as well as Jazz24 and KJAZZ. I mostly play records in the evening on my main system (sometimes CDs as well). While I play records and CDs on occasion upstairs in the LR system, it's mostly streaming these days. Same with my bedroom and library system although I've got a turntable in the library as well. Bottom line, for just listening to music, streaming is great, even if it's slightly lower resolution. I don't notice that when I'm doing other things.

kings81 likes this.