1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

I think this leaves the door wide open for an app or a box that integrates all the services you want to subscribe to and provides a seamless search and set of recommendations. I think that Roku is trying to position themselves for this. My VC friends tell me there are a whole bunch of new start ups in this area. Plus there will undoubtedly be some consolidation of the service providers.

Kyhl and jonwoody like this.
  2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There are two iOS apps that I know of (Just Watch and Reel Good) that tell you which apps a movie or show is streaming on. Roku’ s problem is that they get into pi$$ing contests with content providers, to the point where they held them hostage from being available on the app. HBO Max, Peacock, and Spectrum are three examples of this.

Bringing this back to music streaming, my opinion is that if Warner, Sony and BMG could find a profitable way of limiting their catalogs to captive services they would do so ASAP. All along, the movie industry has been light years ahead of the music industry when it comes to managing distribution channels.

NapaBob likes this.
  3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

5. EyPee

EyPee Member

I still have high hopes for Burntable and I can't believe it doesn't come up more on this forum. I think they're attempting to be an all analog 8tracks now. Burntable Radio - Other Peoples' Vinyl

6. Stereosound

7. EyPee

EyPee Member

In what I've heard of Apple's lossless files they almost appear to be the original AACs (perhaps comically, even) encoded to ALAC. Not a good showing for me. Hook up a good DAC. Curious if you're hearing the same thing...

8. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Every track that I’ve played that is labeled “Lossless” or “Hi-Res Lossless” shows up as exactly that on my DAC, with the appropriate bit and sample rate.

Freebird likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't think that would be a great business model for them, and I suspect they know it. It would put them in the position of having to develop, maintain, market, staff and continue to keep fresh in term of tech development (and compete for the best engineers with real tech firms) and in terms of ever chaning device and network interoperability, a whole streaming system. I think they're much better off just making their content ubiquitous on every platform where listeners are paying to listen to music, and taking 50% of the revenue. It's been a great model for the music business, bringing it back from the financial brink, bringing it back to revenue levels not seen in nearly 15 years.

10. I enjoy your posts. After reading this I’m reminded how illegal downloads from Napster and Limewire really blew the doors open to the development of this current market.

Perhaps we’d still be in pre-streaming days.

11. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

This is an interesting concept. Thanks for the link. I'll be exploring it more as it sounds quite nice at 96k!

EyPee likes this.
  13. EyPee

EyPee Member

What kind of test would satisfy you? I think if I sliced up a sample accurate snippet of both I could compare the FFTs. I could also probably compare the waveforms at the sample level.

I'm also curious why Apple badges "Wildflowers and All the Rest" both "Lossless" AND "Apple Digital Master" -- but, if this is an Apple Digital Master, what are the non-Apple Digital Master "Lossless" files?

So many questions. Given what we've seen with "MQA" I don't trust anyone, that's for sure.

14. EyPee

EyPee Member

If you can, hook up a DAC. I was just using the 48k lossless with my ESS9038 dac and it's quite amazing. Even just to hear different cartridges/turntables.

britt2001b likes this.
  15. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Yes, I've been listening straight from a DAC/headphone amplifier and it shows a 96k reading. Even though the 96k setting shows a lock I could still open it and, like you, hearing the differences among the variety of source hardware is very interesting. Also, listening to records that I have only read about before was truly amazing. The MoFi mix channel is my favorite.

16. Stereosound

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

18. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Funny you mention that. The day I figured out Spotify was abandoning hifi was when her new album dropped in the summer. I figured it would be the first album to stream in hifi, accompanied with a big hoopla surrounding the hifi launch. Instead, crickets...

kings81 likes this.
  19. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

"Apple Digital Master" is the new name for "Mastered for iTunes". These designations were out long before Apple released lossless last summer. There are several albums on Apple Music (by Radiohead, Depeche Mode, The Cure for instance) that are "lossless" but not "Apple Digital Master".

20. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Apple music cuz of Atmos
    Music in surround although downmixed to 5.1

And of course physical discs bluray sacd dvda and yes those things called CDs

21. Stereosound

Qobuz says they should be compatible with HEOS sometime this summer.

22. Stereosound

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This is awesome news. Is there a link that contains more info?

Hopefully they do a better job of opening up the user interface than Amazon did.

24. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

since spotify are being dicks regarding lossless im now trialling tidal. Seems ok so far

Manutius likes this.
  25. Stereosound

No further information otherwise I would of posted it. Just a post from David Solomon who works for Qobuz on the Facebook page he hosts: Log into Facebook | Facebook

cdash99 likes this.