Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Okay. That makes sense.

2. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

Currently on Deezer (paid) purely because they had a long free trial at the time I signed up. I use it for sampling new stuff that I might want to buy and it works fine for that, sound is normally very good. I tried Tidal but couldn't hear any benefit to the lossless files.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just checked and Tidal has four of her albums.
    Little Fugitive
    Til The Wheels Fall Off
    Re: Live At Cat's Cradle
    18 Again - An Anthology

4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

spotify(premium) great library of tunes.easy to navigate.sound seems more than adequate for use in my car via iPhone.and at home either through home stereo with iStreamer DAC,and home computer Macbook Pro, audioengine DA DAC,audioquest jitterbug and audioengine A2 speakers or grado 225 headphones.

i also listen to thinks on soundcloud and youtube.not sure what youtube red is will check that out!

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Same here! Sounds great to these ears!!

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Paid version without ads.

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Spotify Premium. Because any place where I can find the Orange Juice Box set Coals to Glasgow, all the Scrawl albums, glam obscurity Breathlessly Brett by Brett Smiley and gay folk/chamber pop band Flare is a good place.

MikaelaArsenault and Synthfreek like this.
  8. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I use Apple Music (paid).:hide:

9. noname74

noname74 nocustomtitle

Tidal Lossless. I am still a physical media guy however I use Tidal to check out new artists or albums from the past that I know I only need to hear once and I will be set for another 10 years.

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium, mostly for checking out music I haven't heard to decide whether or not to buy.

ClassicsOnline where I can stream classical music in Hi-Res or CD quality.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

I got a free 3 month trial of Tidal, so I'm trying that out now. I've subscribed to Google Play off and on, but a lot of the time I end up not using it. I'd rather listen to CDs/LPs/FLACs. I got the streaming account mostly so I could check stuff out without risking a purchase on something I might not like, but it's just not my preferred way to listen to music. I like the Tidal interface a lot better than Google Play, and it seems to crash less. That said, I have had some minor problems with Tidal, so it's not perfect.

12. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Spotify, mainly because it's now integrated w/ my Sony digital music player. Use it primarily to screen for new music purchases.

13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe Forum Resident

About YouTube Red
    From what I've heard, YouTube Red includes Google Play Music, which seems to be a very good deal for $10 a month. I quite like Play's artist specific "radio stations". Listening to the Imogen Heap one right now as I wait for a bus, and have discovered several new artists. I wish it were more popular, and included in apps like Songkick, which support Spotify and Pandora only.

OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

Tidal, for the great selection and sound quality. And also its integration with Roon.

indycardude likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apple Music (paid). I would consider it excellent, except for one fatal flaw... to download songs for offline listening, you have to turn on iCloud Music Library. iCML royally screws up your local music, replacing artwork, etc with "cloud" versions. So, leaving it off is the only solution for me. If they ever get that fixed, I would consider it an ideal service, at a fair price.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Spotify Premium for the car. Portability and access, plus sharing mixes with friends.
    Turntable at home. Stability and much better sound.
    If I really like what I hear on Spotify, I grab the record.

17. sberger

sberger Grumpy(but grateful) geezer

I use and like Spotify, but feel guilty about using it for obvious reasons. Use Amazon's streaming service too since I've bought so much physical music from them so it's already in the library.

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Listener

Predictably Spotify is cleaning up in the poll but I wish the free tier and premiun service had both been available to vote for.

I stream Apple Music with occasional month-long forays into Spotify premium to see what the wily Swedes are up to.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo No music, no Life

I’m holding out.... :magoo:

Jack Flannery likes this.
  20. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I have tested the Amazon, Apple, Google, Pandora, Spotify and Tidal services (at premium levels where available) for the past year or so. I'm settled on Spotify. The Spotify user experience leaves all the other services in the dust for me, regardless of the Tidal lossless option... I'm not using it for critical listening. I'm not sure I could hear the difference anyway, to be honest. Especially in the rooms/systems I use it in most.

I recently decommissioned my Squeezebox ecosystem and NAS devices in favor of the $25 Chromecast audio devices and "Spotify Connect".

I can't recommend the Spotify service highly enough. It is wonderful.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe Forum Resident

I have Google Fiber in one of my apartments, and they recently offered a streaming service that could be added onto my bill.

Spotify.

This explains SO much, like why Google has half a dozen different messaging services. Apparently, nobody at Google actually uses Google for search, where they would find that the company that pays them offers their own, quite excellent streaming service. Also, they have not offered YouTube Red for our TV Box units.

22. arem

arem Forum Resident

Spotify Premium has served me fine for streaming albums the last few years, I tried Apple Music and hated it. I also use Soundcloud and Mixcloud a lot to stream DJ mixes, there are some amazing things out there on those platforms.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk If You Fly A Flag Of Hate You Ain't No Kin To Me

I was an early adapter to CDs and jumped in pretty quickly to computer based music also but for whatever reasons I've not ever tried or shown any interest in streaming. If I had any impression that would be an objection it's the loss of being able to select the particular versions/masterings of albums that I wish to listen to.

Stereosound likes this.
  24. jbuhl

jbuhl New Member

Long time Spotify user that just recently switched to Deezer primarily because it streams lossless (16/48) FLAC to my Sonos player. I prefer the Deezer interface to Spotify. Never did get used to the fuster cluck interface Spotify had. Deezer has a bit more sound stage depth and imaging qualities.

Ignominious likes this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You know it's not mutually exclusive? You get to "keep" all the music you collected over the years. Yet now you have access to thousands of albums you've casually seen in the bins, and can listen to them through (or a million times over) at the included price. When you find something you like, go hunt down the best sounding version/mastering.

Higlander and Ignominious like this.