Which 'Past Masters' songs should have been on the Beatles' Red Album (1962-1966) compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Sep 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

While the Past Masters albums were not released until 1988, when the Beatles' music was being reissued on compact disc, it does collect all of their non-album tracks together.

Of the 1962-1966 songs available on the Past Masters collection, which ones do you think should have been included on the 1962-1966 compilation (commonly referred to as the Red Album)? Choose as many or as few as you want.

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

All of then. PM should have been released in 1973 INSTEAD of the red and blue. Would have cleared everything up (for the UK at least) in 1973, instead of having to wait until 1988.

Frances the Mute likes this.
  3. dbone828

I wouldn't remove any of the songs they chose to include, but I would adda few more B-sides: "This Boy," "I'm Down" and "Rain." A strong case could be made for most the B-sides, but the only one that I think was a definite snub was "Rain."

Hermes likes this.
  4. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Aren't Paperback Writer and Day Tripper already on the Red Album ? What am I missing here?

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  5. dbone828

Yes, they are. I have kept them as options in the poll so that if there are ones that were included that you don't think should have been, you can choose not to vote for it. For example, in the Rubber Soul poll, 81.2% of people would include "In My Life," while only 26.7% would include "Girl," both of which were included on the Red Album. This is to give a bigger picture of which songs people think really belonged on the set (whether they were there or not), and which ones didn't belong.

6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Voted for a lot of them:

Love Me Do
    From Me To You
    She Loves You
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    This Boy
    I Feel Fine
    She's A Woman
    Day Tripper
    We Can Work It Out
    Paperback Writer
    Rain

dbone828 likes this.
  7. dbone828

I considered voting for "She's a Woman"...it was their highest-charting B-side in the USA, peaking at #4 (giving it a surprisingly higher Billboard peak than arguably more iconic/popular songs songs like "Day Tripper," "I Am the Walrus," "Eleanor Rigby," "Revolution," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Rain," "Don't Let Me Down"). That being said, I don't think "She's a Woman" is one of their best songs, and I think they made the right call by not including it.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  8. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I Want To Hold Your Hand
    Slow Down
    I Feel Fine
    She's A Woman
    Day Tripper
    We Can Work It Out
    Paperback Writer
    Rain

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Voted for 'Rain' and 'I'm Down'. Otherwise the 'red' and 'blue' double albums were quite perfect for me.

10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm Down and Rain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.