Which Phono Preamp for my combination?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

I'm currently wondering whether I should replace my Lehmann Black Cube Statement with a maybe better sounding alternative. Don't think that I'd say the Lehmann doesn't perform well, it's good, however, as often in live, there may be better choices. I'm relatively new into all that stuff, started buying my equipment (turntable etc.) a few month ago. So what do I own right now?

- Clearaudio Concept
    - Ortofon 2M Black
    - Unison Simply Two
    - Unison Max 1 speakers

Well, an the Lehmann Black Cube Statement preamp.

I'm looking for a preamp, that supports voices. Doesn't really have to be "neutral".

I'm come across the following options:

1. EAR 834p (too old? Is it still good today???)
    2. Unison Simply Phono (same here => old, but still good???)
    3. Musical Fidelity MX-Vynl
    4. Rega Aria

Which one would you prefer? Any recommendations or comments??? Every comment it highly appreciated! Thank you very much in advance!

2. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

My 2nd Schiit Mani will arrive tomorrow. Can’t recommend it enough.

3. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I have found that ticks and pops are much less intrusive with a tubed preamp. My Lehmann Twin Cube has been in storage since I got the Quicksilver Full Function Preamp. I never looked back.

Balthazar likes this.
  4. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Whatever one you choose, make sure it has the mono switch.....

33na3rd likes this.
  5. zeitlos

Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by "mono switch"?

6. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

When playing mono records, it is desirable to have a mono switch on either your phono preamp or your preamp. The switch combines the channels coming in from your stereo cartridge, eliminating all of the vertical component of the stereo image (which is just noise on a mono record which only has the music in the lateral movement of the cartridge), thereby significantly cutting out a great deal of the clicks, pops, and rumble that might be on the record.

johnny q likes this.
  7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I found exactly the same thing when I switched over to the all tube Icon Audio PS2 from the solid state Lounge LCR. That said the Lounge is still a heck if a fine sounding phono stage.

SandAndGlass and morinix like this.
  8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I always try to future proof my next upgrade, meaning that if I buy a new piece of gear...then it will support more options in the future. However, if you don't ever plan to get a low output cartridge or go to a fully balanced setup then you can eliminate these options and just look for a really good single ended low gain preamp. There are many options in this area.

I also like to buy full sized components, not a big fan of the small format phono preamps that tend to need constant tinkering when moving cables around. Sutherland gear is very good and offers upgrade paths to lower output cartridges (should you want to go this route).

Also, what is your budget? You mention the EAR 834p and the Lehmann Black Cube Statement, these are worlds apart in terms of cost...

9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you don't have any mono records, then this should be very low on your option list (if at all). Not many phono preamps have this feature.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. zeitlos

@all: Thank you very much for your replies. Highly appreciated!
    I think since I don't have mono records, it's not really on my priority list.

Well, worlds apart in costs, yes, but are they "worlds" apart in terms of performance? That's the main question. The Black Cube Statement is what I currently own. The EAR 834p is one option I'm dreaming of. However, I don't know if it's worth the m0ney and if it fits my equipment.

My budget? Basically I planed not to spend more than 800 Euro (but if it's necessary and worth it, I'd increase this amount...)

Furthermore, there seem to be clones of the 834p on the market. Are they of equal (sound) quality?
    MM Tube Phono Turntable Preamplifier HiFi Plattenspieler Röhrenvorverstärker | eBay

11. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Have you considered the higher end Lehmann products? If you are in Germany, these may be more price efficient than an imported product that might have extra tax and shipping applied. Might even be able to trade up if you bought from a dealer.

12. zeitlos

Basically yes. But most people say they are rather neutral. I'm looking for something more "warm". So maybe Lehmann products are not first choice in this regard? Would you agree?

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I don't know their products, I was just making a suggestion based on your location and previous purchase. If you want a preamp with a particular characteristic, then I'll let others chime in....I was just commenting on making sure you don't buy something with features you don't need...but also don't limit yourself on a future upgrade either.

14. zeitlos

Thank you, I appreciate your comments. I'm a rookie so I am grateful for your judgement. Maybe you are right and I should give other Lehmann products a chance as well. However, I'm still trying to take it into the direction of more "warmth", so maybe it's better to favor products from other brands first? Not sure.

15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

You already have an integrated tube amplifier, I'm not so sure you'll get a big payoff going with a "warm" phono stage...I'd be looking for accuracy and balance. I was amazed how much better my vinyl sounded when I upgraded to a higher end component phono stage that had low noise floor with detail and dynamics. AS you have a high output cartridge, I'd be looking for a used component level preamp (not a brick with a wall wart).

16. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying my new Goldnote PH-10. You could take a look at one of these units. Great review in Mono and Stereo.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can you describe the midrange on your Mani? :)

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Totally unnecessary; no need to make sure of it at all. :)

cyclistsb likes this.
  19. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

The Mani replaced a highly modified CA 640p which I found to be on the warmish, blah side. In comparison, the Mani is clean, very revealing of the source material. What I am trying to say is it adds no color to the music.

Chris Schoen and bluemooze like this.
  20. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I will approach this a little bit different. You have a nice preamp. Have you thought about another cartridge? I think it would be easier to find a cartridge that has the sound you are looking for. Maybe a Grado, SoundSmith, Nagaoka, Goldring just to name a few.

21. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Agreed. I'd get the the EAR or Unison. When something is good, old doesn't matter.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 and ArneW like this.
  22. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

+1 on the Gold Note PH-10. Incredible and versatile unit. Best I've seen, er heard, for the money!

Diskhound likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Some stereo preamps or receivers feature such a switch so it's a necessity to ensure one is included with a phono preamp.

OP, if you want something warmer, you could always try tube-rolling for the integrated you currently have.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

FWIW, I had an EAR 834P quite some time ago and thought it was excellent. I'm pretty sure at the time I was running a Dynavector DV20H on a VPI Scout.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Ear 834P :wiggle:

Tube roll when you want to have fun

If you ever go MC you can add their MC-4 SUT and have a pretty high end setup.

royzak2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.