Which Rolling Stones sound has aged better, the mid '60s psych or the later 60'/'70s rock sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

I used to prefer the later rock sound, but lately I'm liking the earlier Brian Jones psych stuff better.

2. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Mick Taylor era

3. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Jimmy Miller producing era that includes Taylor and a little Jones. Look at the current bands setlists,they know what the stadium wants to hear.

4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Black & Blue album

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Both till Its Only R&R

6. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

The mid 60's mono sound has been getting the most attention from me.

7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

What do you mean 'aged better'? Still popular, still relevant to modern ears, still enjoyable...?

If we're speaking about production, some of their stuff produced by Andrew Loog Oldham sounds very '60s (the reverb!) but that adds to the charm.

I'm a huge fan of their entire career and I think most of it has aged remarkably well.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I’ll take It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (the album) or Some Girls over any Jones era record except for Beggars Banquet any day. Now that I think about it, give me Dirty Work and Aftermath and I will play DW more.

Brian era records have aged very badly.

RhodyDave125 and slop101 like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love all the years of the Stones. Stones and ABB ( all incarnations ) probably get played more than any other rock bands.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Why not both?

12. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Late '60's to early '70's rock sound.

All Down The Line and DK Pete like this.
  13. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

+1

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I listened to the new Beggars Banquet 50th the other night and thought, “this is great, but I prefer Satanic Majesties.” Of those two, I know I listen to Satanic Majesties more often.

I’d still say that Sticky Fingers and Exile represent their absolute peak, but don’t agree that the Brian era records have aged badly.

15. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Really? .... Under My Thumb, Ruby Tuesday? .. they still sound pretty good to me.

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I had Satanic Majesties on the turntable the other day, and while I very much enjoy the album & its charms, it's simply not a great Stones record.

Now, "We Love You", "Dandelion", "She's A Rainbow", "2000 Light Years From Home"? All great psych rock by the Stones. Nearly as good as anything else of the era that was big in that style.

But I don't think this stuff holds a candle to what they did Beggars - Exile. I don't think going psychedelic suited them too much, and they were trying to keep up with the scene a bit.

Rojo, Panama Hotel, Hammerpeg and 3 others like this.
  17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I still like the comment - The Stones were better on smack than they were on coke......

Tone likes this.
  18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I prefer the Mick Taylor era, but the two in question are a bit apples and oranges. By that I mean they were trying to do different things, with the latter period one where they were simultaneously becoming or already were the greatest live band. And crafted their albums accordingly. The latter period also had superior production. Of course that was already present imo on Beggar's Banquet, which most do not consider part of their psychedelic period but was also pre Mick Taylor.

Still, Aftermath which I consider the beginning of their psychedelic period is one of my favorites, and Between the Buttons the one I consider most underrated by others. What makes the earlier period a bit problematic was a lot of their b sides like Child of the Moon did not make it onto regular studio albums, but they all should be included in considering that period. And Jumping Jack Flash my favorite of theirs.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Stones’ top two most popular songs on Spotify, and three of the top five, are from the Jones era.

Aftermath and audiomixer like this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

At the risk of getting too specific, I tend to rank the eras as the "Where's Brian" era of Beggars/LIB 1st, the Mick Taylor era second, the pre-psych, but Mick and Keith were writing third, early Ronnie fourth, psych Stones 5th, 80's Stones (post Tattoo You) 6th, cover band era 7th and post Wyman Stones last. But that's just me.

entropyfan likes this.
  21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Every era of the Stones only gets better with age.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But are they from the psychedelic Jones era, or are they earlier?

23. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Agreed. After hearing the stereo cuts for so long, I understand why I didn't like much of the stones from that era. They're just crap mixes. The mono is the real deal.

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

#1 is Satisfaction, #2 is Paint It, Black

The Stones’ psychedelic era is holding up just fine, I think. When Alex Turner name-checked the Stones on the biggest British rock album of the past decade, he sang “listening to the Stones / 2,000 light years from home.” That’s the hip era to reference, not the 70s.

sekaer likes this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But what about acid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.