Which Rolling Stones sound has aged better, the mid '60s psych or the later 60'/'70s rock sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's my opinion as well..almost. Depending what you mean by late 60's...I'd start with the Between The Buttons period through to Exile On Main Street. Stuff from their brief psychedelic period, I think, sounds better than ever these days and seems to be getting a bit more attention (She's a Rainbow has actually been used in two different commercials). And the period of the "big 3" (BB, LIB and SF) -which always sounded great-only sounds greater with the passing of time.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

When I was younger, I probably would have said the Mick Taylor years, but over the years, my appreciation for the later Jones period has grown stronger and stronger. This includes Aftermath, Between the Buttons, Flowers, Satanic Majesties (yup, the whole thing, it easily ranks with my top Stones albums), Beggar's Banquet of course and the other singles, b-sides and outtakes. This was an extraordinarily fertile, creative period for the band where they diversified their sound and found their own voice. There's a vitality here that was gradually drained away over the course of the 70s, in my opinion, though they still often produced great work. But who knows, in a few years I may change my tune and revisit their "70s rock sound" with fresh ears and renewed appreciation.

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

My feeling as well.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

It's all good.

5. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

It seems to me that for whatever reason 70s Stones are completely erased from pop culture while 60s are overused, even though they were selling way more records in the 70s. I wonder if it's because of the rights or because they played purer rock-n-roll in the 70s that's less popular these days. Brian Jones is also way more popular now. People think he was some kind of genius behind Stones or something.

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

All eras have aged quite well.

All Down The Line, Neonbeam and grbl like this.
  7. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

The blues is timeless, so the late 60's/early 70's recordings have maybe aged better than the trippy psychedelic stuff, but those mid-60's recordings still sound great. "Paint It Black", "Get Off of My Cloud", etc. still sound fresh and exciting. The psych stuff has aged better than some of mediocre mid-80's onward stuff.

Heard Jason & The Scorchers' excellent version of "19th Nervous Breakdown" again recently, and sometimes not hearing a great song done by the original artist can make one appreciate how well constructed and clever the songwriting is.

8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

All of it has aged better than I have. :sigh:

All Down The Line and stef1205 like this.
  9. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Both have aged well for me.

10. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

This^^

11. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Why not include the Mach 3 version w Ron Wood? That period started off strong at least... each period deteriorated and each period is important in its own way.

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My fave. Yep, holds up very well.

13. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

There is greatness in all eras including the eighties and beyond, but if the catalog began with Aftermath and ended with Tattoo You I would be fine with that.

14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Mid-sixties Stones, especially their run of singles, is one of the great periods of rock music. They were going places no one else could. Paint It Black was used in Westworld, so I cannot see how anyone could think this music dated. I think that perhaps because the contemporary Stones, for many years, have been a reiteration of that seventies version, people may see that as the "authentic" Stones. For me, the "exciting and dangerous" Stones, are much superior. Put another way: one era's Jagger is in gaol; the latter version's eventually gets a knighthood.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

From the early 70s onwards, their sound has fundamentally stayed the same, a few detours into funk or disco notwithstanding. From 1964 through 1967, they went through more changes and sounds than they have since. If you can listen to it with fresh ears, Paint It Black is still a shockingly odd, and shockingly powerful, track, and one of the most successful integrations of the sitar into rock music ever.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Good to know. "Paint It Black" is one of the Stones greatest singles.

Overall I personally prefer the mid to late 60's psych pop up to Beggars Banquet. Aside from a couple of classics Let It Bleed is a step down. Sticky Fingers a return to form. The rest I don't rate that highly with the exception of a few great singles such as "Emotional Rescue" &"Start Me Up"

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"She's A Rainbow" has been in a couple of commercials. Nice to see it appreciated but it risks overexposure

18. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Well...this is the first time I’ve ever heard anybody refer to Let It Bleed as a step down. Seriously???

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

This is one of my favorite collections

[​IMG]

20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a great album IMO. "Gimme Shelter" and a couple of others I rate but overall not as good as the albums that precede and follow it.

21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Beggars Banquet through Tatoo You. Classic AOR.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Huh. I decided awhile back that Let It Bleed is my favorite.

23. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I much prefer LIB to sticky fingers. In fact I’m not really a great fan of the Mick Taylor period , I don’t get the whole Exile on Main St love. I find the album quite dull to be honest. I’d much rather listen to Satanic Majesties!

Vignus and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  24. davers

davers Forum Resident

Outside of the OP's range, but I vote for all eras up through Dirty Work, and maybe beyond by a few more years. I would've said the Taylor years when I was younger, but no longer; that's just one several excellent Stones eras.

RogerB likes this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I went into Let It Bleed with all the massive hype around it and just felt it didn't measure up - the single version of "Honky Tonk Women" would have improved it. Agree with the rest. If I had to name a favourite album it would be either Between The Buttons or Aftermath

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.