Which 'Rubber Soul' songs should have been on the Beatles' Red Album (1962-1966) compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

One of the most common criticisms of the Beatles' 1962-1966 compilation (commonly referred to as the Red Album), is that Rubber Soul, is over-represented with six songs ("Drive My Car," "Nowhere Man," "Norwegian Wood," "In My Life," "Michelle" and "Girl").

Which songs do you think should have been included? Would you cut any? Add any? Choose as many or as few as you want. Or, do you think that no songs from Rubber Soul should have been included?

Stephen J and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I actually feel that the RS songs that were included were perfectly chosen. There are others which people have as personal favorites like The Word or I'm Looking Through You but then you'd have more than half the album on there. I think the ones that *are* on there all should be (even though I'm personally not crazy about Michelle, it's a very major song and can't be ignored).

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Pretty solid selection back in the day. Can’t quibble with it.

4. dbone828

Interesting that both of you say you would keep the same songs that were selected for the Red Album, yet neither of you voted for the songs selected for the Red Album ;)

ARK likes this.
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Nowhere Man, Norwegian Wood, In My Life, and Michelle are my picks. These were the four most popular songs from this album.
    If I were to pick two more, it would be Drive My Car and If I Needed Someone. Girl (while not a bad song) would not even be under consideration for me.

btomarra, dbone828 and ralph7109 like this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I voted for the three obvious John songs that everyone else is voting for as well.

dbone828 likes this.
  7. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I think the right choices were made, especially in the cases of “In My Life,” “Nowhere Man,” and “Norwegian Wood.” If I was going to bump one, it would be “Drive My Car;” it doesn’t do much for me as Beatles songs go, but it’s harmless. But really, I wouldn’t change a thing about that second disc of ‘62-‘66. I think it’s perfect the way it is.

8. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Beep Beep, Beep Beep NO!

Helter Skelter and ARK like this.
  9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They got it right.

BDC likes this.
  10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

4 songs
    Norwegian Wood
    In My Life
    Nowhere Man
    Michelle

Those songs plus We Can Work it Out/Daytripper are plenty of representation for the Rubber Soul sessions.

The Red album had 8 which it too many but that is a discussion for another thread.

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Except add the two missing songs (13 does not equal 14) and maybe even more if you lop of the two extraneous songs from Rubber Soul.

But that’s a topic for another thread...again.

dbone828 likes this.
  12. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I always thought "Girl" shoulda been left off. I love the song, just I don't feel it's 'hit'-worthy. If we were talking the Blue album, definitely "Old Brown Shoe." Another one of my favs, but does it belong among the 'hits'? Eh, don't think so. But that's just me ;)

Big Pasi and dbone828 like this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Norwegian Wood
    Nowhere Man
    In My Life

dbone828 likes this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yeah, I didn’t vote because I didn’t want to change anything.

15. dbone828

That would make an excellent campaign slogan.

Chew, ARK and Chemguy like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nowhere Man, Norwegian Wood and In My Life are a given. I'd say that's where you'd stop if you're trying to give a fair shake to the rest of their releases from that era.

dbone828 likes this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

:righton:

dbone828 likes this.
  18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Over represented indeed. Could've given slots to other underrepresented albums. I voted for "Drive My Car", "Nowhere Man", "Michelle" and "In My Life". It's also a quite Lennon heavy representation.

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Only Nowhere Man (a 45), Michelle (a hit in a cover version) and In My Life (a excellent mature reflection on Johns' life) with all else best heard on that album and the space given to songs from Beatles For Sale and Revolver.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think it's perfect as is, it's the ultimate introduction to the Fabs

21. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

While a great song, it's fair to say 'Girl' holds the less "historical" value of the selected tracks, so it could've been left out and replaced by a Revolver song, Taxman for instance. Because to me, the real issues in the Red selection are the under representation of Revolver and the absence of any George songs…

dbone828 and SixOClockBoos like this.
  22. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I'm quite sure my votes in this poll were highly influenced by the fact that I grew up with the red (and blue) album. Hence, I unwittingly selected five of the six tracks that were on the red album. Not seeing the attached info, and not having listened to the red album in decades, I was thinking the story was going to be that the red album didn't have any tracks from Rubber Soul - but should have.

I was in the target audience as a teen who only had a couple of other Beatles albums when the red and blue albums were originally released. They were mind-blowing and led my interest in the rest of the Beatles catalog. The original albums were far more compelling with their amazing "deep tracks", so in a few years, the red and blue were completely out of rotation in my Beatles listening routine. I guess the Rubber Soul songs that made it were still branded in my head as the biggies.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  23. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

I don't think anymore should have been included. There is definitely enough of them on there and the whole point of this album is to get you to buy the albums yourself.

24. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Cut Drive My Car and include Rain right after Paperback Writer.

dbone828 and saborlord123 like this.
  25. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

Oh my god that would have been awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.