Which Star Wars trilogy was better: Prequels or Sequels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by twicks, Dec 23, 2019.

1. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Rogue One was alright to me. I think it's a lot easier to write a story when the backstory has already been established and the outcome of the story has already been written for you, and you only have one movie to worry about rather than a whole trilogy. You don't have to worry about the following two movies, you can just let it all hang out in one movie.

2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Grain of salt should be taken before viewing:
    Growing rumblings from Disney saying that the Sequel trilogy will be removed from cannon and placed in the "Legends" category.

What a waste of the original cast. Never able to reunite again.

Dyland and TrekkiELO like this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Finally saw #9. And I still couldn't tell anyone what the plot was about. Something about resurrecting Palpatine.

Prequels were better.

4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

The sequels were flawed and really suffered from the lack of a vision for the trilogy, but still a lot better overall.

Regarding the prequels, Phantom isn't very good, but it does have a great fight at the end with a cool villain and a top Williams score in Duel of the Fates. I get that some like the pod race, so I'll give it that too.

There is nothing that I care for about Clones. Nothing.

Now Revenge of the Sith... that one deserves a little more love than its. Hayden Christensen isn't very good at all still, but the rest of it makes up for it. Much better story than previous two and more interesting.

For the sequels, I generally like the Force Awakens, though wish Abrams didn't feel compelled to mirror A New Hope so much and on that note, have a ridiculous Death Star.

I'm in the minority in liking The Last Jedi. It has some well down scenes and looks fantastic. It's too long and there are some specific things I don't like, but overall, I don't think it had a chance to be appreciated and what happens after it doesn't help.

We're back with Abrams and I like him, but whatever vision spat he has with the Last Jedi didn't help the Rise of Skywalker.

The movie isn't bad, but I really had a hard to buying the emperor being back. It's ok I guess, but kind of fell flat with me.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Watching the Clone Wars animated TV series really highlights all of the many problems with the prequel trilogy. Anakin is flat when he's not whining, Dooku is just there as a generic bad guy Jedi and coasting on the screen presence of Christoper Lee, and Grievous is a joke. A coughing four-spinning-bladed cowardly joke. (Okay, Grievous doesn't fare much better in the TV series, but still.)

Again, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid (and Samuel L Jackson, a little) are the only ones coming out of those movies unscathed.

CraigBic likes this.
  6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I voted prequels.

True, the prequels are deeply flawed - but at least they tell the story (or so we are led to believe) that Lucas wanted to tell.

The sequels are simply cynical cash-grabs. And Solo and Rogue One are just...utterly redundant.

Dyland, twicks and Propinquity like this.
  7. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I preferred the sequels-aside from the last fifteen minutes of Rise of Skywalker, they’re enjoyable, undemanding entertainment. That said, Revenge of The Sith gets my vote as best non-OT film.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

The "no-equals"

[​IMG]

9. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Surprised. Prequels are just more enjoyable to me. The sequels were just borrrring. They lost me at The Last Jedi

Dyland and twicks like this.
  10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will angrily disagree with this but I just think the sequels overall are much better movies. I think the storytelling is better, the casting is better and their failings have more to do with how the overall story fits together than the individual films themselves. The problem with the prequels is that they are somewhat sloppy films with some compelling ideas and a little too much of a missed opportunity. A lot of people seem to point to the clone wars or a comic book or a novelization to justify why it's good but if you have to point to things that aren't in the movie to make it better is the movie itself really all that good?
    Compelling as it is to hear George's ideas behind the prequels (and they did make me enjoy the prequels for a while) I eventually began wonder if George really saw them as little more than tech demos. Throw a rock and you'll find a fan who doesn't like the direction they went on this character or that character but as a filmmaker when I watch the sequels I feel they are made by people who have a real passion for the material. Passion enough to make a good movie rather than 2 hours of fan service.

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sequels (The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker)

12. It’s a tie.

Both are MAJOR disappointments. Neither had any of the“Magic” that the Originals had. The Prequels were uniformly bad. The Sequel started out OK (but was clearly a rehash of A New Hope), then fell apart completely.

13. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I voted prequels not because I think they are good, but because the only movie I somewhat enjoyed from either the prequels or sequels was Episode 3. I love the original trilogy, and wanted to love the rest of the movies too because I love the Star Wars universe, but I just can’t do it.

The prequels have a lot of writing/dialogue issues and I think they misfired on casting with both Anakins. The sequels seem to try to please everybody making them bloated and disjointed. I like a lot of the characters, but otherwise, I think everything good about them the original trilogy did better.

I don’t see myself watching the prequels or sequels again, but I will definitely be rewatching the originals from time to time.

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

How about a write-in for The Mandalorian? Honorable mention for Solo, just because it's fun.

15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The original source of this story is the channel Overlord DVD, a.k.a. Doomcock. So....I'm calling this bullcrap.

Love em or hate em,the sequels are here to stay,just as the prequels before them. Thank god. STAR WARS is one franchise that doesn't need to be rebooted or get bogged down in continuity minutia and some convoluted "multiverse" nonsense. The 11 movies are what they are. Just make more stories set before or after the existing stuff. The universe is bigger than Luke (or Rey) Skywalker's adventures.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Literally zero percent chance that happens...

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I quite like the Prequels, especially compared to the sequel trilogy

Dyland and twicks like this.
  18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Good question
    I didn't like some aspects of both versions of Star Wars. The classic original versions 'un-altered' are still the best.

19. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Amen.

TrekkiELO and FACE OF BOE like this.
  20. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

i actually think " solo " is alright, its watchable!

now the mandalorian is the best piece of star wars media full stop since "EMPIRE " !!! its awesome - this is how star wars should look now

Solaris likes this.
  21. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Never seen the sequels and given the general reception to them I don't think I will. I wasn't all that bothered when Force Awakens opened in 2015 I was probably one of the few people in the world at the time who wasn't bothered by it and then after that things looked to have gotten worse. I kind of have a weird nostalgia for Phantom at least given my age when it came out though I don't have that with the two other prequels even though I saw them when they came out though.

22. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Prequels (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith)

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Prequels were badly done, but necessary and original takes on the franchise. The sequels were well done, but unnecessary duplicates of the original trilogy. As awkward as the romance was, and as boring as the politics were, I gotta say PREQUELS.

The sequels were basically Disney getting a hold of the scripts for the original trilogy and swapping Luke for Rey, Darth for Kylo Ren, Yoda for Luke, and Palpatine for......Palpatine. Otherwise each movie is a complete copy, 1, 2 and 3.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  24. Sequels. Even if they were retreads of the first three films in the original trilogy.

Keith V likes this.
  25. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

I don't like sand and I prefer the sequels, although they got progressively worse with each release.

Keith V likes this.