Which Supertramp should I get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quadjoe, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, well, well, I just received my UK pressing of Crime of the Century and the disc was in excellent condition: there were only two little clicks on the lead-in, and that was all, the vinyl looks like it was well-cared for (no scuff marks or scratches), and there is no sound of wear. Speaking of how the record sounds, it is absolutely fantastic: stereo balance and imaging is superb, the bass is tight and natural and the mid and high ranges are clear and well defined. This disc sounds way better than what I remember. Anyway, as you all can tell I'm very pleased. In fact, I'm so happy with it, I am having second thoughts as to whether or not I should get the Speaker Corners edition. What do you all think?

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Hi Joe,

I just got the Speakers Corner version of "Crime" from Red Trumpet. I have never heard the UK LP, I've only hear the US version and the MoFi version, but the Speakers Corner album sounded INCREDIBLE. Worth every penny! The clarity on this recording is amazing. If I were to sell it on eBay, I would call it STUNNING. You simply gotta buy this pressing!

Sean

3. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Besides a variety of vinyl I have Breakfast and Crime on CD on the A&M label, early versions with AM+ (Audio Master Plus Series) CD-3708 (DIDX-26) and CD-3647 (DIDX-25) respectively. Both pressed in Japan.

Does anyone know how these compare to the MFSL or later versions?

4. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

"Crime Of The Century" MFSL Gold disk sounds great in my opinion. Very good soundstage . The only thing that I have noticed about this version is that it has a very low audio volume. You have to crank it up to really hear the great sonics on this disk. I ahve notices that some of the earlier MFSL releases seem to be mastered at a low volume.

5. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

That's great to hear about the Speakers Corner vinyl of "Crime" as I'm still debating about buying it. The UK version I picked up on eBay is very, very good as I mentioned before, and the vinyl is utterly quiet (except for two small clicks as noted earlier). Over the holidays, I played the record for my sister and brother-in-law, and they kept remarking how good it sounded. The vinyl is so quiet that my sister said "I forgot we were listening to a record until you got up to play side two!" (BTW, I feel as if I've made a STUNNING purchase. :) )

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

That's my opinion also. Listen tio the bottle rolling and the voice in the train station, absolutely clear on the Speakers Corner.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I had (and still may have) that original AM+ version of Crime along with the MoFi (both CD and vinyl). IMHO it was a disappointment going from MoFi vinyl to AM+ CD, since that CD sounded a little more congested and dull to me. I feel the MoFi CD is better. As for Breakfast, it seemed well recorded to begin with and I really haven't felt like replacing my AM+ CD at all.

8. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Old thread, but anyone still looking for a Speakers Corner of COTC can get it at Diamond Groove Inc.com or Adagioplus.com for about $31 US. Got my copies and keeping two sealed for another day.

Good luck!

9. fraser

fraser Forum Resident

As far as Breakfast vinyl goes - I have the MOFI, A&M 1/2 and UK & US 1st issues - The standard 2 are way more enjoyable to my ears ( and were to my wallet too! £2 each - the other 2 were $35 each !!) The UK 1st issue I have sounds just wonderful through my old Tannoy monitors which I think it was mastered through ( an old tannoy brochure from way back had BIA, Crime of the century & Abbey Road among others as examples of discs mastered or mixed through Tannoys ). Take the Long way home is just just perfect.The 1/2 speeds sound so different you`d think it was another mix - they just don`t sound as dynamic or as "right" as the standard issues ( to my ears at least )- the US & UK are pretty close and I find it hard to choose between them. I only have the Mofi COTC which I like a lot , Even in the quietest moments 1/2 speed has a very similar sonic sig to the BIA 1/2 speed but I don`t have a regular issue to compare it to - I should probably get one as I suspect I`ll prefer it. Original Uk "Crisis" sounds great too - that`s the only copy I have.
    Nobody has mentioned Paris - not the greatest sonically but I must have listened to it 1000`s of times as a teenager and would love to have been there , what a great finale of the two of us followed by COTC.
    Think I`ll be listening to some Supertramp over the next few days....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.