Which TV to buy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gone, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gone

Gone Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I am new here. Actually my older 32 inch Philips TV is dead. So we are planning to buy a new one. I wanted to know what size will be the best for 1080p resolution. I have a 1080p Amazon firestick. And the viewing distance is about 9 to 10 feet. So I was wondering if 60 inch TV would display 1080p resolution clearly or not because bigger screens require more pixels to display the picture clearly. So as I can't buy a 4k TV becuase my firestick is not 4k, I wanted to know what is the maximum size for a TV to display 1080p resolution clearly without noticing individual pixels.

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

We have a 60-inch TV in our living room. 1080p with our seating about 8 feet from the TV and we generally don't see any pixelation (this is really dependent on the source video, though, I think).

Also, your Firestick should work fine with a 4k TV.

3. Gone

Oh well then I will have to see which TV would be best. Thanks for your help. Means a lot.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Just an FYI, but this thread probably belongs in the "Visual Arts" Discussion. You'll definitely get more traffic there than here.

I will contact a gort to get this moved.

5. Gone

Ohh ok. Actually I am new here so don't know much about this.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Don't see any pixilation on my 80" TV, but I don't have the best eyesight!

roverb likes this.
  7. Gone

Ok! Thanks a lot for your opinion.

8. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I posted this in another thread to provide understanding in distance to definition in how one sees detail and sharpness with modern HDtv's. If I can get the picture below with just a 720p 32in. HDtv at 3 ft. away then anything bigger and better will look just fine especially if you view 8 to 9 feet away.

[​IMG]

10. Gone

11. Gone

Ok. Maybe now I will go with an FHD TV. Thanks for the help.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

For what it's worth, Amazon Fire Sticks go on sale a few times each year. If you are interested in a 4k stick they can be had for about $30. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your tv purchase.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

There is a formula that works for most peoples eyes. The idea is you want to set close enough that you can actually resolve 1080p. I know that for 1080p and a 60" screen 8 feet is the right distance. Thus for 9 to 10 feet viewing I would recommend a 65" or a 70" screen.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

In my situation my recliner is about 8 feet away from my 65” 4k wall mounted tv. I find it an ideal distance.

15. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

I have a 3 year old 55" LG OLED 4K ultra. Think it was on sale for less than $1500. Viewing distance is about 9-10 feet. I use a Roku streaming stick Plus $±39. Works for me.

16. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

There are a bunch of charts like this.

[​IMG]
    @Tim Lookingbill, according to this chart 32in. @ 720p is not good enough at 3 ft. viewing distance. Or, rather, you may see an improvement if you get a FullHD or 4K TV.

There are also recommendations about how close one should sit to a TV to be able to see the whole screen without moving the head. Some say it should be about 30 degrees, other say 20 degrees. The old-fashioned CRT would take as little as 10 degrees.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Second vote for LG OLED. We have a Roku, Apple TV, 4K Blu-ray, everything, and it can look pretty good with good source material.

My own day-to-day experience is 4K does make a positive difference and you can see if it you're not 20-25 feet away. Any closer than that, it looks fantastic. But since there's so much 4K content these days, I think it's a good way to go; HD-only sets are pretty much gone now in 2021.

The other thing to look out for is Dolby Vision and/or HDR, and that makes a tremendous difference on pictures when the show is well-mastered.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Especially important if you wear glasses where the lenses are best through the center but not as good at the sides/edges. I.e., if you get a tv that is too large you will be subtly turning your head left and right through the program. Smaller is sometimes better.

CDV likes this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The main reason I didn’t go OLED is the probability of image retention or burn in. I’d suffered that problem before with previous LED TVs We leave the tv on news stations many hours a day with all sorts of those static generated bars and continuous screen crawls and such.

There are only very few new technologies that are completely burn proof but not developed for small enough pixel size for home use yet. They are designed for movie theatres. I hope they advance the technology in the near future for home use.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  20. Gone

Ok. Thanks everyone for the help. I will go with a 4k TV.

21. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I see you've already committed to a 4k TV but I'll just point out that Sony makes the KDL43W660F which is a 1080p TV with HDR 10 and is available in 43 and 50-inch sizes.

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Does the photo of my Samsung showing the Greenland BD look soft to you? It doesn't to me on my calibrated LG computer display I've processed thousands of my own digital images to get exactly what I see.

But you seemed to miss my point to the OP that distance makes any HDtv look reasonably sharp. All I did was move as close to my tv to where it didn't look sharp and then backed off a bit which was pretty close to 3 feet away. I don't go by charts to tell me what I see.

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

4K and as big as you can get. I'd do at least 65 at your distance, with 75 even better.

You won't regret it. ;)

EVOLVIST and Khorn like this.
  24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's not the just the screen. It's the number of buttons and dials. Don't fall for the 'big screen' sales pitch

[​IMG]

skisdlimit and Classic Car Guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.