Which version of Aftermath by the Rolling Stones do you like better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Actually, wasn't the shorter "Out of Time" on the Flowers album, with "Take it or Leave It." I don't think it was on the US Aftermath album.

I guess another question could be the mono or stereo versions. I rather like the UK Aftermath stereo album best, but I like my mono Paint it Black 45 better than stereo versions.

I like that we all have personalized Aftermath CD-r's customized to our individualized tastes. Very futuristic.

Here's to the future, where we will be living the rest of our lives (to quote Ed Wood).

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't! Very nice tunes IMO. "Lady Jane" I could live without, though - along with the too long "Going Home", it's the album's weakest link (in EITHER incarnation)...

3. Bryon

Bryon Forum Resident

Definately the UK - I'm voting with the majority for a change.

Bryon

4. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Yessir! I normally listen to the first 3 minutes and then press skip. Conversely, my personalised version of Satanic Majesties is edited to include only the "verse" (i.e. non-jam) parts of Sing This All Together (See What Happens) and Gomper.

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Comparing my mono US LONDON records to the stereo LONDON CD - no contest. I'm glad to have both; in a pinch I'd pick the UK stereo.

Now, it's a different story with Out of Our Heads...:)

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

The MoFi version! which ever one that was, I can't remember. The other I have is the vinyl remaster, which is the other version. They both sound good, I'm just talking about track listing.

7. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I prefer the UK version for a number of reasons, not least of which being a) it's what The Rolling Stones themselves intended and b) it's got more songs.

I will admit, though, that I still can't get used to MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPER starting the album...odd choice, IMO, and hearing GOIN' HOME at the end of side ONE is also something that strikes me as odd...but, hey...s'what thay wanted.

BTW, if anyone cares, I was told that the US versions of 12 X 5 and OUT OF OUR HEADS are actually the REAL Rolling Stones LPs that were made to their specifications. These are the only two 1960's RS LPs where this applies. The UK LP for every other album is the real deal. But these two American albums, having been recorded in the U.S. and for other reasons, should be considered among the UK albums when one is trying to put together a definitive 1960's Stones collection.

8. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

I prefer the UK version, also seems to be the only place we can get "Mother's Little Helper" in true stereo. I heard somewhere that the Uk version has wider stereo separation than the US version. I don't have either on the new SACD-hybrids, but is the stereo separation difference between the US/UK versions still on these new CDs?

9. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

No; they're both narrowed AFAIK.

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If you're talking about Paint It Black on the U.S. Aftermath, it's in stereo on the hybrid I believe (I only have it on Through the Past Darkly) and in mono or in very narrow stereo on the ABKCO CD. So maybe the difference is in the mix?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Interesting tidbit, thanks.

12. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

I agree about Out Of Our Heads and 12x5. It supports the idea that the US Stones catalog contains more music. Anyway, my favourite Aftermath is a CDR comp with 15 tracks beginning with Paint It Black and ending with Going Home.
    Bob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.