Which version of the Planet of the apes will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape ! "

Zoot Marimba and skisdlimit like this.
  2. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Hard question. I prefer the first two original films, and then that series gets a bit boring for me. After those initial two, I like the recent rebooted trilogy--they did a good job with those.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In time, the newest movies (which I don't like, I must add) will look as dated as the original ones. The very first one from 1968 is still a very good film.
    I think I know what I'm gonna watch tonight :winkgrin:

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am a huge Apes fan. Have been since a little kid. So...

The new version is one of the best trilogies ever put to film. It's up their with the original Star Wars and beats the likes of Godfather as there is no weak film.

The original film though is iconic and is a classic. None of the others are up to that standard though.

So I think in the future what people will watch will be the current trilogy and the original debut on its own, so I guess the trilogy wins due to it being there films.

apesfan and Jack Lord like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I made it through ten minutes of the newest one, it's cliche garbage.

You can never reinvent the original concept/idea behind Pierre Boulle's "Planet of the Apes" and make it better, no matter how many brain- dead movie executives think they can. Period.

6. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yes, I think the younger ADHD generation would find the original boring because there isn't a jump cut every 5 seconds. :hide:

I will say I've seen the first two of the new series and thought they were quite good for what they are, but I still prefer the original.

apesfan, alexpop and Jack Lord like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Charlton Heston owned that film made the whole goddamn wt so believable.

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

That is the clincher: Charlton Heston. He is mostly remembered for his latter day politics, but once upon a time he was a superb actor. One of the best.

apesfan and Ghostworld like this.
  9. The original series, surely (or at least the original film with Heston). But I will say that the recent reboot efforts have been remarkably better than I expected. 100x better than the recent Star Trek reboot, for instance -- at least IMHO.

One other gauge -- I think all the reboot films (NOT Burton's, mind you -- but this most recent batch) -- all of the most recent reboot films have been (overall) of a higher consistent quality than the original 5 movies from back in the day.

I have a warm spot in my heart for all of the original 5 films (especially #1 and #4(!!! - the one set in 1991), and also #3 too mostly). But #2 and #5 are a mixed bag at best (no matter how much of a guilty pleasure they might be now, for some of us at least).

But I think all of this recent reboot series has been solid, and each one I've walked out of the theater thinking the pros outweighed the cons by a wide margin, and gosh I hope they keep making more of these.

apesfan likes this.
  10. Agree completely.

I posted it entirely as a response for my opinion to the OP's question. No contest whatever IMO.

apesfan likes this.
  11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Oh Man!:sigh:

12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think Burton gets a bad rep. I liked the film and I liked the ending....but it was ripped off from Jay and Silent Bob comic.

Of course it harkens back to Megatron woth Transformers Lincoln Memorial removal from cartoon.

13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

*Spoiler Alert*

The Burton ending is the one that actually most resembles the ending of the Boulet novel.

Grand_Ennui and apesfan like this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I did not know that. Interesting. After looking at the plot, while not the same, it is amazing actually. I used to dislike Burton's version, but not anymore. I got as a gift just to complete collection. I gave it a watch, and found it to be very fun and not at all as bad as I remember.

Rooster_Ties and apesfan like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Oh man, the original in my opinion.

Grand_Ennui, apesfan and Jack Lord like this.
  16. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea it is far from horrid. It has lots of good moments.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

True, I remember it being ok. I haven't watched it since its original theatrical release date, though.

18. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

I really enjoyed the new trilogy a lot.
    It stirred an interest in me to seek out the originals, and I finally saw the first classic 'Apes' film earlier this year.
    Enjoyed it quite a bit.

The first, original film will be the one I think most folks in the future will want to see.
    Despite the excellence of the newer trilogy, I'm not really sure how those will hold up say twenty years from now.
    The first film from the 60s will always be a classic and viewed as such.

Grand_Ennui and apesfan like this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I suspect the newer version will be found in the overflowing bin marked CGI action movies. A bit unjust, I know (and unjust to others in there), but the original has thought at the forefront. I really don't like Heston -'stiff as a board' as James Garner put it, but he's very good in this, Soylent Green, The Omega Man, El Cid, The Warlord and he's even better in Will Penny.

Grand_Ennui, Ghostworld and apesfan like this.
  20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I've seen 4 out of 5 of the o.g. movies. The first is a classic but the series suffers from diminishing returns as it went on. The current trilogy started strong and ended just as strong imo.

21. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

As most know, in those days scifi did not have the legitimacy for lack of a better word like today. Think about it, their might of been since "Metropolis" to " Pota68/ 2001 Space Odyssey, " five decent scifi films over 50 years Imho. Times were tough for the film industry then like the Record industry now. In fact the music industry made more money than movies then, WoW. Though in fairness records/cd/cassettes sold well into the early 2000s.
    Imagine if LPs and CDs sold tens of billions now. So even though Planet 68 made 42 million domestically and saved Foxes ass and started a franchise with toys and stuff Fox still had its head in the 1940s and did not make each sequel bigger and better. My favorite is uncut "Conquest" but imagine it the money was there.
    One thing is sure Apes proved their was a huge market for good scifi and their next franchise because of this was "Star Wars" and that turned out OK I guess.
    I hope, as I always pine for, a new set of original Pota68 film series 4k remasters as if this happens will probably be the last improvement I will see in my lifetime thats worth anything. Anyway take care, John M.

22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Of course the first movie is a classic and I hear good things about the recent trilogy, for me the ultimate POTA would have to be

smilin ed and apesfan like this.
  23. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I personally prefer the original version(s) b/c that’s my frame of reference but I don’t know if future generations would agree. The production is dated, the costumes are fakey-looking and the storyline leaves gaps compared to the more recent versions. It could go the way of “Father of the Bride” or “Mission Impossible” where younger people don’t even know they were re-makes.

As someone else pointed out, it can’t really be determined for at least another generation.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

What I meant by "diminishing returns" was not so much the box office numbers but, the stories that proceeded Planet '68 .

25. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The original... saw it when I was 7 in 1975 and I can still remember the visceral reaction I had at the end... saw the new reboot and can't even remember it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.