Which Year Produced the Best 3 Rock Lp's and Why that Year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

SH Members-please tell us what is in your opinion the best 3 lp's ever released in one year and why you consider that year to be the best ever for rock n roll.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

How about 1967
    Sgt. Peppers
    Doors
    Are You Experienced
    ad more (Grateful Dead etc..)

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

4. spotlightkid

yes 1967 is a good vintage but is that really the best year?

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I'll second 1967, plus Moby Grape, Surrellistic Pillow, and many others!It was hard not to buy a great LP that year!!!!!!

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

No Way!!

1964!!!!!

Meet The Beatles

Any Beach Boys LP

Any Rolling Stones LP

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

1969, anyone?

The Band
    Abbey Road
    Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Let It Bleed
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Tommy
    Nashville Skyline
    (say what you will about this one, I love it)

Sorry I gave more than twice the requested number, but ah well ... pick any 3 you like.

8. spotlightkid

1969 is a Great Vintage-how about the 50's,70's or 80's.

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Add to 1969

Led Zeppelin I--Led Zeppelin
    Yes--Yes
    Nashville Skyline--Bob Dylan

Bob

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm with 1969

Led Zepplin 1
    Abbey Road
    Let It Bleed

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

1967. Dittos as well. Couldn't agree more.

12. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Well, 1967 also gets you Love's Forever Changes, Velvet Underground's first two discs, two great Hendrix albums, and the Byrd's Younger Than Yesterday, but 1969 also nabs Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, Abbey Road, CCR's Green River, The Velvet Underground, Elvis' From Elvis in Memphis, the first two Zeps, and Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief and Unhalfbricking. Add the previously mentioned albums, and you have a very tough choice indeed.

For the 90s, 94 gets you Nirvana's Unplugged (my favorite from the group), Blur's Parklife, Portishead's Dummy, and Pavement's Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, which, in my book at least, puts it in competition with 91.

For the 80's, 87 gives you a Dinosaur Jr. album, U2's Joshua Tree, Sonic Youth's Sister, REM's Document, Guns N' Roses' debut, Lyle Lovett's Pontiac, Prince's Sign O the Times, and Husker Du's Warehouse, for starters.

For the 70's, I also dig 78, which put out Elvis Costello's This Year's Model, Rolling Stones' Some Girls, Van Halen, Talking Head's More Songs, The Jam's All Mod Cons, Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove, Cheap Trick's Heaven Tonight, Blondie's Parallel Lines, and I believe the first appearance of Big Star's Third

Alright, I've probably exposed my strange tastes enough now, but there's some ideas...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

13. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Oh, by the way, my vote goes with 69 - hard to argue with Trout Mask Replica, The Band, and Abbey Road.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Without a doubt: 1966

Revolver
    Pet Sounds
    Blonde on Blonde

15. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Yes, 1966...Revolver, Aftermath, Pet Sounds, Blonde On Blonde...1965 is not far behind. Surprised nobody mentioned it.
    Leave 1967 to the flower children!;)

16. Bob Lovely

The 60's

All,

It is interesting note that so many of us are stating 1966, 1968 and 1969 regardless of our respective ages.

Looking back historically, those years were very cutting edge with regard to creative exploration of musical styles. I was in high school from 1965--1969 and can clearly remember the "latest" hot album was often the topic of conversation and "serious" listening!

Bob

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I haven't seen Disraeli Gears mentioned yet - 1967

18. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I'm really rather jealous. Heck, I choose 1969, and I wasn't even alive in 69!

For what it is worth, however, I suspect the last 12 years won't fare so poorly with the passing of time. With the sorry state of the airwaves over the last decade or so, the great stuff is often sitting unnoticed. 1994 alreadly looks pretty good, and that's despite the fact that radio wasn't playing much worth listening to at the time. What does that mean? That there still could be some classic albums most of us just haven't been lucky enough to hear yet!

At least, I can hope.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

19. Bob Lovely

L Bangs,

I wonder if that will play out? Radio today has become so narrowly formatted that I have probably missed some great music in the last several years. I cannot listen to every station. In the 1960's Top 40 radio played everything from Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams to Jimi Hendrix and the Doors.

As such, we were all exposed to such a wide variety of music everyday!

Bob

20. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Sadly enough, I'm not sure if the situation for broadcast radio will improve. I suspect that with the large national companies swooping in to every city and buy up half or more of the existing stations, the narrow formats are actually rather self-serving. After all, no stations owned by the same company are actually competing with each other. Their formats don't allow it. I suspect the companies really like it this way.

Of course, the possibility (possibly reality) of internet radio may help. I've no idea.

Let's cross our fingers. Maybe something will give. The only new rock music getting airplay nowadays is subpar postgrunge copycat junk, and a sampling of this boring genre hardly does modern music the credit it deserves.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

21. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Here's the headline from an article I clipped out of the newspaper a short while back: "Critics generally agree:1966 rocked" I was surprised to see this story in the newspaper.

I've always favored '66 and '68 but any year from '64-'69 is fine for me. It sure started going downhill by the mid 70s though.

22. Bob Lovely

I attended a concert in 1966 that included The Hollies, The Yardbirds and The Who all for $5. And, it was held in a building no bigger than a high school gym on a Friday evening.

Yeah!, 66' rocked!

Bob

23. Matt

Matt New Member

The 60's were definitely the best, especially 1966-1969.

Beyond that, I'd like to throw some votes in for:

Rocket To Russia
    Talking Heads '77
    Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
    or The Clash

Let It Be
    Born In The USA
    Purple Rain

(runner-ups)
    Zen Arcade
    Run D.M.C.
    1984 - Van Halen
    Born In The USA
    She's So Unusual
    Reckoning

24. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Let's not forget 1971:

Who's Next
    Sticky Fingers
    Live At Fillmore East (Allmans)
    Aqualung
    Pearl
    Imagine
    Muswell Hillbillies
    Every Picture Tells A Story

Jeff

25. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

You all have a different definition for ROCK than me,

Led zeppeling, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, The Who, The Doors... That's rock.

But,

Prince, Run DMC and even The Beatles I wouldn't call that Rock. (Well who am I)

BTW If I take the best 20 rock albums I know, I will not find 3 of them in the same year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.