Which Year Produced the Best 3 Rock Lp's and Why that Year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Now, what I *really* want to know...

How many people chose a year when they were attending high school or college?

Just curious...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Nope Jr. high

3. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I choose 1966. I was 2. Of course that's when I first learned about the Beatles. The music during my high school years is, what I consider to be, some of the WORST music ever made. 1978-1982. The only thing that saved it were the Punks and a few of the bands from NY.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

All,

I picked 1969 and I was 18 years old.

Bob

5. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

1978-1982. Man, if I wasn't an Elvis Costello, The Pretenders, and punk fan, I'd probably agree with you! Some truly terrible stuff.

By the way, I ask not to make any sort of point, but simply out of curiousity. It hit me that if I asked this same question of the group of friends my age, I probably hear years between, oh, say 1987 and 1994.

Nothing wrong with those years, but I still go with 1969, although 1967 and 1966 are all excellent choices as well.

In fact, I bet I could think of three great albums I love from ANY year!

Just don't ask me to prove that... :)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

One interesting fact has just pounced upon me... I'd be surprised if anybody chose a year that was *after* they graduated from high school or college. (Most of my peers believe great music died after they graduated. I disagree, but ah well...)

Anybody an exception to this rule?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

7. Bob Lovely

All,

While I picked 1969 and I was a Senior in high school my pick is merely coincidential. Some of my other favorite albums are from the 50's, 70's and 80's. My observation is that many albums from the 1966--1969 are timeless classics that still sound fresh today. They just happened to be clustered in those years. Many of the forum members picked those years based on the musical value.

Bob

8. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

I Believe rock music is the music where the musicians are the most important, after I graduated from high school (it's called different here) in about 1984, there was a tendency that most music was going to be the music of the producers and the marketing people. This is still going on in my opinion. That doesn't mean that the music is bad or all bad but there is in general a different edge to it which makes it no rock for me.

9. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

For the record, I hope no one thinks I'm hinting that anybody chose the year they did for any reason other than musical value. I'm just nerd, and I find things like this interesting...

Like I said, I could probably name 3 great albums from any year.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

10. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

'94 -- DOGMAN! Thank you.

11. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

...and Van Halen and Ozzy/Randy.

12. Bob Lovely

...and those Scott Joplin cylinders from 1892...

Bob

13. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Just for fun:

Houses of the Holy
    Larks' Tongue in Aspic
    DSOTM

This year is shaping up great for me. New Dream Theater, new Jelly Jam, new Ty Tabor, new Steve Morse -- all in the first four months. Of course, I daresay I'm the only one on this forum who will own those four titles. :rolleyes:

14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Well, as something of a King's X fan, I am interested in the new Tabor album. Pretty yummy, eh?

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

15. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Can't wait for the remasters of those.:eek:

16. Bob Lovely

Scott Joplin Remasters

My understanding is that they are going to 96K/24bit! Pre-order now...

Bob

17. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

For me the year is 1965. I'm not sure if albums were really important to the artists at that time but there were some great singles that year. Here are few big ones:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
    Yesterday - The Beatles
    I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops
    You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - The Righteous Brothers
    I Hear A Symphony - The Supremes
    Eight Days A Week - The Beatles
    Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds
    My Girl - The Temptations
    I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
    California Girls - The Beach Boys
    Get Off My Cloud - The Rolling Stones

Yep, If I had to get stuck with one year this is the year I'd pick.

18. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

I have only heard one new Ty song all the way through. Samples for the new Ty and Jelly Jam albums are here:

http://www.tytabor.net/discog.htm

Have fun!

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

"Nevermind"
    "Ten"
    "Metallica"

20. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

1975:

Doobie Bros-Stampede
    Elton John-Captain Fantastic
    10cc-The Original Soundtrack
    Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
    Bruce Springsteen-Born To Run
    Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
    Fleetwood Mac-Fleetwood Mac
    Golden Earring-Switch

I could go on...

21. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

<<RTI releases the first 5 Creedence Clearwater Revival lps!>>

How's that for being "creative" with the topic?!

:D

22. Ben

Ben New Member

Second the Beagle-man's list!

Ben

23. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

You guys are the best! This thread has been a lot of fun to read and it brought back some great memories. I really can't pick a favorite year as I sorta moved in and out of listening to music during my childhood. I was an absolute Beatles fanatic. The first album I ever bought (with mom's money, btw) was "Meet The Beatles" (still have the vinyl, Steve). I was a huge fan and stayed that way until they started to move into musical styles that I was too young (and stupid) to understand. It took their breakup for me to go back and discover what I had missed.

Also, I lived in an area that was so far away from any decent rock stations that it was mostly static in the daylight hours. We had one local station that had an afternoon "Teen Time"-style show but it was lame to say the least. However, most nights were spent searching the airwaves for "clear channel" stations half a continent away. They were the ones playing all the stuff that I couldn't hear locally...the sound of that drifting radio signal really came back to me when I heard the intro to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

I apologize for the sentimental journey, but I really suffered through the "corporate rock" of the mid- to late 70's (Asia, et al). I was absolutely knocked out by how accurate Cameron Crowe was with "Almost Famous". Do yourself a favor and get the Special Edition of the movie and listen to his commentary about the music business in the 70's....right on the money. Except for Steely Dan and a couple others, I'd rather just forget the 70's.

I finally started to see some hope in the late 70's and early 80's when it seemed like music finally started to get "dangerous" again (Sex Pistols, Clash, etc.). I probably got as interested in music in the 80's as I did in the 60's, but I'd never try to compare the two decades. They were both great in their own way.

Right now, I'm putting together the music for my <gulp> 30th high school reunion and I'm pulling together songs from roughly 1969 to 1972 so this thread has turned into a great resource. Again, sorry for the long rant.

Dave

24. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

1970 Three great guitar albums E.C. 1st solo Layla Get Your Ya-Yas Out

25. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

...The Stooges: "Funhouse"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.