Which Year Produced the Best 3 Rock Lp's and Why that Year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

The year, 1988

Cinderella | Long Cold Winter
    Poison | Open Up & Say...Ahh!
    Winger | Winger

2. clayton

clayton Senior Member

my vote goes to 1969 and the three albums are

the Who Tommy
    Beatles Abby Road
    CCR Green River (a lesson in simplicity rumored to have been recorded
    in 3 days)

I might add that it seems that a lot of this discussion centers around the sixties, I think that rock went through its biggest evolution during this time, top forty radio was changing drastically, I remember goin to scout camp and coming home two weeks later and hardly recognizing any songs on the radio, the turnover of new songs was amazing.

Clayton

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

1967 hands down.
    Big Brother/Janis-1st album
    Kaliedoscope-Side Trips
    Nico-Chelsea Girl
    Stones-Satanic Majesties Request
    pink floyd-piper at the gates of dawn
    not to mention great albums by the beatles, jefferson airplane, hendrix, country joe and the fish, simon and garfunkel, moody blues, moby grape, mamas and papas, frank zappa, procol harum, the who and many many more who made seminal works during that year....1969 would come close, but the great innovations were just about over and many bands were discoving how to become formulaic. 68 was great but there was terrible turmoil that year. 66 was good but not quite as brill as 67. Yes, 67 is the year.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

1892? :)

And... I have to completley disagree! I loved this period! I, too, was in jr-high/high school, and lots of my favs did their best work during this era:

The Police
    Rush
    The Fixx
    Pretenders
    Joe Jackson
    Van Halen
    Genesis
    Oingo Boingo
    Squeeze
    Split Enz
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    Blondie
    The Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    David Bowie
    Queen
    AC/DC
    Ozzy (Rhodes era)

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

HZ,

I thought by 1982 the Eagles had broken up and were recording as solo artists? Big hits by Don Henley and Glenn Frey during that period as I recall.

Bob :)

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

The range stated was 1978 - 1982. The Eagles were most certainly not broken up in 1978! :)

But really, why nitpick these dates and whether something landed within 6 months of them? He chose those years because those were his high-school years, there's no other significance there really. 1977 - 1981, 1979-1982 --- basically the same era.

The point is that there was lots of really great music coming out in the late 70's, early to mid 80's. Sure, Henley and Frey went solo around 1982 -- and made more great music! :D

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

HZ,

I actually like that period very much! A lot of great music that I still listen to very often. Most of the recordings from that period sound very good....lots of dynamic range. Some great DCC gold discs as well. The Cars are frequently in the rotation in my home!

I was in no way attempting to be contentious with my posting!

Bob :)

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yes: Close to the Edge
    Fragile
    Genesis: Selling England by the Pound
    Led Zeppelin: IV
    Steely Dan: Can't buy a Thrill

just to name a few

9. wes

wes Senior Member

I'll vote 1966, Blonde on Blonde, Revolver, Pet Sounds, Face To Face, Freak out, and the doors actually recorded their debut in 66..The Byrds 5th Dimension also..

Pop/Rock at its peak..

-Wes

10. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Foo Fighters: self-titled
    Oasis: "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"
    Smashing Pumpkins: "Mellon Collie..."

Honorable Mention:
    Supergrass: "I Should Coco"

11. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

You're right HZ, I forgot Squeeze!

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I vote for 1971

Black Sabbath: Masters Of Reality

Yes: Fragile

Uriah Heep: Demons And Wizards

13. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I used to think that 1965 was the year, since it included my favorite Dylan album (Highway 61 Revisted) and my favorite Beatles LP (Rubber Soul) but maybe it was 1967 with Pepper, Doors, (1st LP), Stones (Buttons [criminally underrated]) Moby Grape (I bought Pepper and the 1st Grape on the same day--in mono!!-- unfortunately long gone due to theft, water damage, etc.), Velvet Underground, etc.

From an album standpoint, 1967 was a pivotal year. I believe that was the first year that album sales exceded singles sales, at least in the U.S.

And face it, any year in your teen/early 20's years will probably be your favorite. That's when we all got sucked into the rock vortex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.