DCC Archive White Album 30th Anniversary Lim Ed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

With all the posts on Beatles boots, I haven't seen any mention of the UK White Album 30th Anniversary Limited Edition release. It's a huge improvement over the US CD (not hard to do). There's no reference to any remastering on the CD. I don't have any boots to compare it to (Doc Ebbetts is on the way) but it sounds pretty good to me.

Anybody out there familiar with this CD or have any info on what was done or who did it?

Just wondering????? :D

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

It was not remastered. There was some advance word before it was released that it would be, but then EMI corrected themselves and announced it would NOT be.

I bought it anyway. Can't detect any real difference in sound between it and the standard CD ... never did a direct A/B comparison, though.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Partyka ]

3. Unknown

That's interesting.

I wonder if there was more than one "pressing" of the US CD? I've had my copy of the US White Album for some time. It's two individual CD's as opposed to the double jewel case release. I mention this because the difference in sound quality with the 30th Anniv. CD is not subtle. Especially noticeable is the separation between instruments and vocals.

I burned a copy for a friend who has an older US copy like mine and he also found a big difference in the sound.

Maybe they got a cleaner master for later pressings which is what they used for the Anniv ed? I really should try to find someone with a newer release of the US CD and see which one it matches up with.

Mike

4. JPartyka

Mike,

I guess that's possible. I have the original 2-jewel-case edition, as well as a much later edition that came in a single double-jewel-case. I never thought to compare them, but maybe I should (along with the 30th Anniv. edition).

-- JP

5. Unknown

I'm such a collector/hoarder that mine's still sealed...it's right next to that sealed longbox of Macca's "Unplugged"....
    ;)

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

hey! the same as mine!

the one i have is even numbered, 372396.

later, chris

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes that's mine too. Seperate CDs that were originally in one heavy longbox.

The only seperate pressings they've made are directly from the SWINDON (sic) plate, only difference has been the Apple appearence and the packaging to facilitate a 2Cd swingbox package. The 30 Anniversary is the same damn mastering, sorry to say. Nothing better, nothing worse.

8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Apple blew it big time on that one. It coulda been a contenduh! :(

9. Douglas

Douglas New Member

My copy of the 2 CD 30th Anniversary White Album, with the great packaging and numbered cover, sounds exactly the same as the standard issue.

10. feinstein

feinstein Member

They are the same "mastering" although they did correct some sequencing errors in the original issue (where each track starts -- moving the start of track 5 from the start of Revolution 9 to "Can You Take Me Back".

Tommy19 likes this.
  11. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

There's more than one edition of the pre-anniversary White ALbum, FWIW...the two separate jewel box one, the double set with DICS, and now the double set without.

-D

12. Mike

Mike New Member

190057, beat ya! I read that the first 200,00 sound better than the later numbers. :rolleyes:

Mike

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My 30th Anniversary reissue (0293957) sounds exactly the same as the 2 separate CD version as well as the double CD version. I like the packaging however. Pity it couldn't have been laminated like the original.

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I got # 347429, although its not still sealed. I also have all the longboxes... somewhere. :D

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I have # 156200...let's see who has the lowest number on the original release! I remember buying my copy fairly soon after it was released. Anybody have one lower than # 100,000 for starters???? :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, I have 049402.

17. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Damn... Steve just beat me...

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Maybe Californian's got that batch...

I was actually impressed that my White Album CD's matched pretty well to my White Vinyl Parlophone cutting of 1976.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

19. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

What's the story on these German vinyl pressings of the White Album, 1962-1966, 1967-1970 that are in colored vinyl? The sticker says DMM Direct Metal Mastering. I haven't played these in quite a few years and am waiting to get a new needle before I try them out again. Thumbs up or down on the sound quality of these? (actually I bought them just for the cool factor @ $9 each new back in the 80s).

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Telefunken ]

20. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The grand daddy is supposedly a mid- 70's German White Vinyl pressing, not the DMM. Something tells me it's not true, but I don't have a copy to compare.

I still enjoy my Japanese TOJP very much, as well as the MFSL.

21. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I had a white vinyl version that I had to get rid of because the sound was so bad. I think it was domestic, from the early 80s, however.

22. feinstein

feinstein Member

A bit of White Album CD trivia...

I bought the White Album CD from the HMV Record store in London in a specially issued "first edition" HMV issued box set when it was first issued in the late 80's (these are still available fairly inexpensively in collector circles). It was issued in a double jewel box case. The first run of the British jewel boxes were actually numbered. I have number 4834.

23. JPartyka

I like the MFSL LP a lot, too. One of their better Beatle efforts, I think.

I don't have the TOJP, but the Japanese EAS I have isn't bad either. I usually go to the MFSL, though ... very smooth, with a bit more low-end information than on many other issues (very welcome in this case).

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

My favorite White Album CD is the Japanese MFSL boot.
    In one A/B comparison to the 30th anniversary CD the drums sounded remarkably better on the MFSL boot on the song "I'm So Tired" for example.
    As far as the white vinyl LP pressings go, Steve is right that the best one is the British version from the late 70's. The Capitol white vinyl is great for lining bird cages with, and the 80's German DMM is ok, but the stereo separation is noticeably narrower.

25. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

Okay, everybody. I have a copy of "Elvis: The Complete '50's Masters" CD Box Set....number 848! It has the number emblazoned upon a holographic RCA sticker on the end of the case. I purchased this shortly after it came out at a "Phar-Mor" drugstore which was having a wild cd sale. Can anyone beat this? If anybody hasn't caught on, I think it is getting to the point where cd collecting is getting as fun as vinyl collecting always has been. There really is a large variation of versions, pressings, labels, and remasterings that is starting to get really interesting. Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.