White Lotus on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Houseplants, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

She’s funny as hell IRL, though

Leviethan likes this.
  2. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Really enjoyed S1. Two episodes into season 2 and waiting to see where this is going. So far I'm not hooked.

hbbfam and Armjim like this.
  3. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

So when Daphne and Cam are setting up Ethan for kompromat, right? Daphne intimates that Cam is in a Madoff-type business so he's desperate for investors to keep things rolling. She says she knows of at least one time he's cheated (as they are speaking). She also warns Harper that Cam is pretty rotten but it's his coworkers you have to really watch out for. I think Daphne is the coworker. The whole 'let's go to a different resort' thing seemed fishy at first but as the episode rolled along I became more and more convinced.

Danny Duberstein, ampmods and JohnG like this.
  4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Aubrey did a live interview/Q&A at my daughter’s school and she is funny as hell.

Tanx and Jack_Straw like this.
  5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I really liked season 1. Season 2 is more bleak to me and not as funny.

But what I really want to know is what is that fruity drink they all seem to be consuming.

Also I’ll bet @Lars Medley is right. They definitely going to shake him down.

Lars Medley likes this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The orange drink? Aperol Spritz. I've had a couple. Nice, a little too sweet, and I don't go for mixed drinks much.

ampmods likes this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is it me, or are the prostitutes getting a whole lot of screen time?

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I would sincerely hope that's not a complaint!

Frank Discussion and Myke like this.
  9. Jack_Straw

I wish Haley Lu Richardson would get some more screen time! I love her “girl next door” look and vibe. Spent the whole first episode wondering where I’d seen her before - turns out it was “The Edge Of Seventeen” which I caught by accident one night on one of the free streaming channels and thought it was pretty good.

Anyway, I’m following her character with interest. Is she going to snap and lose her **** on Tanya? It’s starting to look like she may not be that into Dominic’s son after all, but she’s going to hook up with someone, at some point, right?

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

maybe, dominic...................

Lars Medley likes this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Can't see it. This show is all about people taking the "icky" road, not the rightous path. :-popcorn:

12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Watched first episode, I’m hooked all over again with this awesome new cast of horrible individuals lol

audiomixer, Lars Medley and RSteven like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A 3rd season has been approved.

Billy Infinity and RSteven like this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm hoping the new season will be set in the Caribbean or South Pacific. In Season 1, the newlywed couple (Rachel and Shane) said they were next going to a resort in either Tahiti or Fiji (I don't remember which). That would be a great setting.

RSteven likes this.
  15. Jack_Straw

I wouldn’t call horning in on his son’s love interest the “righteous path” for Dominic. It certainly wouldn’t be righteous for Portia. You know, the more I think about it, I think it’s exactly the kind of thing Mike White would do. It would definitely create some drama between Dominic and his son. Then again, he already did the “sympathetic female character makes a self-destructive, masochistic relationship choice” thing at the end of Season 1. I don’t think he would go that route again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    rpd likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Season two started as a bore for me, but I am getting more intrigued every week.

RSteven and Riktator like this.
  17. Jack_Straw

Looks like we were kind of on the right track with Albie and Dominic.

I’m a little puzzled by that whole dynamic between the hotel manager and the female employee. (The pin?). Wondering if I may have missed something along the way.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hotel manager has no friends, no one that likes her in any way shape or form.
    Along comes this woman who said kind things, and shown attention.
    Hotel manager is so happy to finally have someone not loathing and avoiding her, she's overreacting.

RSteven, jpelg and Jack_Straw like this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't think you missed anything. At first glance it appears she is just reacting to someone being nice to her which is obviously not something she is used to. But I am sure we are going to find out there is more to it than that, and it isn't going to end well.

The part that surprised me before that is the younger employee appears to be better at the job than her boss. When Michael Imperioli's character asks a completely understandable question from a guest, the manager reacts like she has no idea and can't be bothered. She seems genuinely surprised when the younger employee offers a helpful answer. And then she reads way more into it and goes and buys her something from the same store just because she said she "loves everything they have there."

EDIT: It occurred to me after posting this that the manager has good reason to be resentful of Imperioli's character based on their interaction in an earlier episode.

Jack_Straw and Lars Medley like this.
  20. Jack_Straw

Yeah, my impression was that she was being intentionally unhelpful there.

mmars982 likes this.
  21. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Uh... it looks to me like a crush, not an overreaction.

22. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

That’s my take on it as well.

RSteven likes this.
  23. bangkok19

bangkok19 I drank to your health, but ruined mine!

Just viewed the "That's Amore" episode.
    The end with the 2 guys 'making out' came as a shock.
    This show always leaves me hanging out for the next episode.
    Love it.

GeetarFreek, bopdd and sberger like this.
  24. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Just watched the latest episode (thats amore- which is episode five). Great stuff- and looking quickly at wikipedia, was happy to hear that this season its seven episodes, not six, like the first season.

(very glad about that for several reasons, there are so many different plots in the air that it seems only one more episode would not be enough time- glad there's two episodes to go!)

(and I usually watch a few days after the sunday new episode- so 'no spoilers! here :)

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, Mike White himself claims to be bi, and I think one of his motivations for making this show is to indulge in a sort of amorphous sexual dysphoria, particularly among the wealthy. But yeah, that last reveal was not something I enjoyed seeing. If they both walked out of the room together naked (that would have been bad enough) I think we viewers would have gotten the message just fine, thank you.