White Lotus on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Houseplants, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Nailed it!

Enjoying the show very much. On top of everything else, the cinematography is the star for me. Really stunning. Makes me want to go visit Sicily for sure. Especially that opera house in Palermo!

Is it just me, or is it getting funnier as the season progresses? I think I’ve laughed more in the last 2 episodes than at any of the other ones in the first two seasons.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is aubrey plaza going to hook up with her husbands best friend..........sure hinted at it when he was toucher her thigh under the table.

RSteven likes this.
  3. Albie’s gonna end up dead, probably at the hands of the pimp.
    Fits with the opera/Godfather tragedy subtext.
    Just an opinion

GeetarFreek and Lars Medley like this.
  4. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Except the message of this show is that the white privilege is, for the most part, oblivious to the struggles of the working class. Lucia is the one who keeps saying she's going to get punished. And she's so centrally involved with that storyline. Albie may be a bystander, a victim in some sense, but he won't get killed.

Lars Medley likes this.
  5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I have a feeling that the “pimp” is just playacting and he and Lucia are running a grift.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I agree. There was no evidence of any pimp before this episode. She knows it will get Albie to do whatever she wants. My guess is he ends up going after Cameron for the money he owes at some point, and someone ends up getting killed by accident.

AveryKG, Lars Medley and Leviethan like this.
  7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"Those are some upscale gays!" Tanya has the best lines. :laugh:

Tanx, Jack_Straw, audiomixer and 4 others like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Bert comes close.

"I can't be held responsible for everything I say. I'm concussed!"

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Looking forward to my trip to Italy in 2023!

10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Jennifer Coolidge is a genius.

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

At least as far as pursing one's lips and faux victimhood in exclusive resorts is concerned.

RSteven and marcb like this.
  12. Maybe, although hopefully Mike White isn't such a one trick pony.
    Actually the death of Lucia would slightly parallel Madame Butterfly nicely and hopefully somewhat scar the entitled Di Grasso family.

I seem to recall Lucia or Mia mentioning a "boyfriend" in the first episode.

13. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I smell foursome.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Man, watch her in Christopher Guest’s movies. She a great improviser.

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Me too! Watching reminds me of my week in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast back in 2018. Planning of going over in the Fall of 2023.

Lars Medley and brimuchmuze like this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ya, I'm going to Ravello for my daughters wedding :)

Spending three weeks in Italy, living la dolce vita!

Lars Medley likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nah, threesome maybe, but i still think its aubrey plaza and her husbands 'best friend''. she seemed very interested when he got naked in front of her.

RSteven likes this.
  18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I was having a hard time believing that Hollander is genuinely interested in her. But, it does seem he sees her as a kindred spirit. He somehow sensed that she's interested in the arts etc. But, in the back of my mind I keep thinking he's going to extract some money from her to maintain his lifestyle.

And, I can't figure out Plaza's husband. He obviously has problems expressing affection, and she's passive in that regard. But, is he not interested in her, is he secretly gay, or what?

Lars Medley likes this.
  19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Quintin is up to no good. In both of the episodes he’s been in he’s mentioned death. One the woman who wouldn’t sell her property that was murdered and then asking if Tanya would be willing to die for beauty. I can’t figure out what he wants from her yet and the whole cowboy theory seems a little on the nose. But we’ll see. I can’t help but think that the floating bodies are maybe from his boat.

20. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

That has been teed up and would be unsurprising and dramatically flat. Our fab four has undercurrents going on between the girls and the between the boys so they could match up any which way and at this point no one sees themselves as having anything to lose by throwing caution to the wind.

Jack_Straw likes this.
  21. Jack_Straw

Agree. I don’t see it happening. Too obvious, and she — more than anyone — seems to be aware of what a scumbag he is.

EDIT: I do think she’s going to do something drastic to get her husband’s attention, but it won’t be with Cameron.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Lars Medley likes this.
  22. Jack_Straw

Nice!

Between this show and Stanley Tucci’s one on CNN, Italy has moved to the top of the list for when I’m ready for overseas travel again.

brimuchmuze and audiomixer like this.
  23. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

This season is better than first !

Daphne is such a great character

I even love hapless Rocco lol

can’t wait to see how this ends up

My top candidates for death are :

1. Cameron
    2. Lucia
    3. Albie
    4. Grandpa

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Remember they said multiple bodies in the first episode so it won't be just one person. I don't know where this ending is going.

25. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

After that last scene, I hope Tanya's suspicious nature kicks in and she becomes very cautious in her interactions with that bunch. (Not because of the gay sex - she wasn't shocked by that in itself - but because they are not who they presented themselves to be. Jack is Q's nephew? LOL And Jack is being dishonest to Portia.)

Michael Imperioli is doing a good job in undoing the typecasting from the Sopranos. As Christopher those prostitutes wouldn't have dared defy him. And if they did ..... But here he gets no respect from anyone it seems and he just becomes meek to the point where I wonder if he's becoming suicidal.

Lars Medley likes this.