Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought the same...he reminisces in a positive way about their work together.....

Really looking forward to this set....I know it was a big seller, but never felt it got the credit it deserved. This forum mentions Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zep 4, Who's Next etc endlessly, and I rate this album up there with them.

2. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Is the video version of Here I Go Again the original uncensored version?

3. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Anybody else get a Gloria Steinem vibe from David in the video? Not a good look with that hair and glasses.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Dunno....but I will be sure to find out.....

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That box looks to be the same size and shape of the new Hysteria box set. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The box was shipped and arrives Thursday from Best Buy.

Curveboy likes this.
  7. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

Been listening to it on Deezer Elite (CD quality) on my phone with headphones (both audiophile quality) and it's definitely loud (to the point of distortion at times), but I really like the added warmth and thickness of this remaster (particularly the bass). However, while for my taste the top end is tolerable, it sometimes gets harsh and brittle on cymbals. Bad Boys is the worst example.

I'm receiving the deluxe CD box set on Friday; I'll report back then with more thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I've been listening to the deluxe edition this morning on Tidal and really love the disc with the "evolutions" material, with what sounds like early rehearsal recordings of most of the album. The SQ is relatively poor but the performances are fantastic! Much heavier than the album as released, with none of the glossy synths and over the top production.

Blimpboy likes this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

My first impression of the remaster is that whilst it is definitely louder, they have managed to remove the slight muddy-ness of the origional (UK) CD but retaining the warmth.....gonna take a bit of time getting use to Give Me All Your Love as track 2 though (track 3 on origional UK release).

Snakeskins Boots much better sounding than I thought it might be although guitars are a little bit low in mix....but given it comes from soundboard tapes you can't complain and dare I say sounds better than I remember the line up.

As fsutall mentions above, the evolutions disc is actually really interesting...I am not a fan of demo's per se however this is real sketch pad stuff.

Not watched the DVD yet....but really great set....although who actually uses these fold out posters...an A5 print would be more use.

Curveboy likes this.
  10. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I will say that the 2017 remixes are lame and completely pointless. They shouldn't have bothered.

11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I will probably extract Standing In The Shadow Of Love and Need Your Love So Bad onto Ipod and shelve the disk.

12. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Not had a chance to listen yet but the packaging of the deluxe set feels nicely put together. Had a read of the book. Some cool photos from the writing sessions in France and Coverdale seems to fall all over himself to praise Sykes.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Jumped right to the Evolutions disc....I like thus type of thing :) Sound quality be damned....

Curveboy likes this.
  14. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Received my copy this morning, but I'll have to wait to open it up and go through it when the replacement arrives. Since amazon decided to send it in just a padded envelope instead of a box. Resulting in a big gouge in the front of the box... Not amused, amazon. Not amused.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Yeah....Amazon has been sloppy with my orders recently. Specifically, not shipping my LPs in the so-called "frustration free" LP mailers. Instead, they throw the darn things in a big box.....loose.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not watched it yet but rated 12 so imagine not

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

They shipped a CD to me in a jewel case with a case of soda...the jewel case did not survive but they were quick to refund me a few bucks for it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

There we go again....not cool. And don't even get me started on their Amazon Fresh packaging:thumbsdow

Ok, we are off topic. Whitesnake!!!!! :)

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Man.....does Sykes overplay in a big way on these Evolutions recordings! I am familiar with his playing, but this is another level altogether! :) He should be awarded the Yngwie Malmsteen Guitar Hero II achievement award! :)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

See, i also had an LP delivered today as well. It was in the frustration free package, which was placed inside of another box... So, it arrived safely. The box set arrived in a yellow padded envelope. Lame.

21. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Hoping they do a Slide It In deluxe edition as well featuring both UK and USA editions in full amongst the other goodies.

Matthew Tate and johnny q like this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

This anniversary edition is crap...... the sound is horrible!

Rhino just released Montrose great debut..... DR 11 vs DR 7.

JasonA likes this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That's why I love him. :)

johnny q likes this.