Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

On CD, I would imagine. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

That's why I'm wondering if it's an original difference or something added for extended cd releases.

3. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Just putting my note in now so I can stick with the thread :wiggle:
    Also looking forward to all the fine folks insight and input.
    Interested in this release for sure, have original CD and vinyl but always love me a remaster if it's done well.

Curveboy likes this.
  4. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Box set and 2LP ordered.
    I'm hoping this new vinyl release is in the same league as the Hysteria vinyl reissue which I think sounds great.
    I'm primarily buying the box set for the extra material as I already have the 1987 Dutch EMI CD.

bartels76 and Rocketdog like this.
  5. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Does anyone know of any other CD masterings of "Here I Go Again" (US single remix) other than the following?

1987 Versions Japan EP (track DR 11)

"Give Me All Your Love" UK CD5 (Sounds like it might be same mastering as above)

Greatest Hits (1994) (track DR 9)

Here I Go Again, The Whitesnake Collection
    , (I don't see a DR and haven't measured it but it is brickwalled).

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

looking forward to this

7. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I listened to this album so many times back in the day that I can't listen to the non Euro versions. It just doesn't sound right!

Looking forward to hearing the 'evolution' mixes.

Porkpie and Curveboy like this.
  8. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

This has me really interested on the one hand, because this album is one of my all-time favourites, but very wary on the other, because Whitesnake remasters have become increasingly unlistenable over the last 10 years. Plus I literally just finished tracking down all of these B-sides/single mixes from their original sources to compile my own special edition. (The '87 re-do of "Standing in the Shadow" is ludicrous, but amazing :D)

Still, good that they're actually including stuff like single mixes and non-album B-sides this time. That's exactly the kind of obvious stuff they inexplicably left off the last reissue. The live stuff will be nice to hear too, even if there's no Sykes.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    bartels76, JasonA and sandimascharvel like this.
  9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Cloverdale, a poor Robert Plant impersonator.

10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Perhaps, but when DC sings in a controlled, smokey baritone it's sublime. Mr. Plant can't compare. Having said that I got no complaints w/ Mr. Plant.

11. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

Recording “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake - MusicBrainz

Or for even more choices, go through all the entries at MusicBrainz for "Here I Go Again" and look at the running time:
    Song “Here I Go Again” - MusicBrainz

sandimascharvel likes this.
  12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I actually think Plant became a better singer after LZ. This Cloverdale thinks he's a top tier rock star. Please! Have you heard this guy singing recently? My God. And they knock McCartney because he can't hit the high notes in Maybe I'm Amazed anymore. For a lark I you tubed Cloverdale 2016. His vocals were so bad. He had the audience singing most of it. Wow.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  13. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I don't think anybody seriously cares about what 65 year old DC sounds like now. I sure don't. He has a million screaming miles (and cigarettes) on that voice. As far as Plant, I tend to agree because the only thing I didn't like about Plant in the early days was his screech. Now that he sings many steps down, he's great. I would ever say better, but certainly still great.

14. sandimascharvel

I don't understand why someone feels the need to thread crap. It doesn't matter to me who DC sounds like because he has a distinctive, and great, tone. Sure, a lot of vocalists have trouble these days in their older ages while some can still kill it. All of them have given rock fans many albums and many shows. DC's vocals on this album are powerful, some of the best of that era, and great to listen to. He's also a great frontman.

So back to the reissue:

I preordered it and am hoping for nice mastering. I might keep it sealed until I see reviews about the SQ as I don't really have $50 to "Burn" post-divorce, although that's very reasonable for a set like this. I really want this for the 11 track remastered album plus the remastered remixes and b-sides although some of the extras would be really interesting regardless so we'll see.

Interesting article. He's really into digging through the archives: David Coverdale Feels Sorry for Jimmy Page

15. sandimascharvel

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Let me make it perfectly clear: Robert Plant is awful. Screechy and ruins just about every song he sings on. Led Zep might have been great musically, but Plant makes them unlistenable.

Coverdale is all blues, balls and heart. Keep your horrible opinions out of an otherwise respectful thread.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw Whitesnake last year and David sounded great. He knows his limitations and has some great vocalists in his band to tackle the high notes.

18. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

:biglaugh:

Wow, how do you really feel @Curveboy ?

I enjoy both Plant and Coverdale, and while both Clarksdale and C/P have some nice highlights from both singers neither are examples of their finest work.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's fine if you enjoy Plants vocal histrionics but Dudley came here just to poop on David, while the rest of us seem to be trying to celebrate the 30th anniversary of a classic album.

Anthrax, Jupitermadcat and Weirwolfe like this.
  20. sandimascharvel

I just received this nice response from Rhino:

"I have been advised that the Whitesnake 30th Anniversary reissue will be available in high resolution download format at ProStudioMasters and HD Tracks.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino"

johnny q, Rocketdog and PTgraphics like this.
  21. sandimascharvel

I hope D.C. doesn't still hold this philosophy:

"There’s nothing wrong with tweaking it this way or that… adding a touch of bass e.q… boosting the mid-range of the guitars… Bringing it into a more modern sonic… & making it LOUDER! "

I didn't all-caps the "louder".

The 1987 Album - Happy 30th! - Whitesnake Official Site.

Interesting quote from same interview:

"I was shocked when Kalodnar said he wanted ‘Children Of The Night’ over ‘Looking For Love’… Speechless, as a matter of fact… I still feel ‘Looking For Love’ is one of the best songs John & I wrote together…"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Rocketdog likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I can't believe Looking For Love isn't on this new remaster. They've dropped the plodding US remix of Here I Go Again in favour of HIGA 87, good move, but dropped Looking For Love, bad move. Maybe the 40th anniversary edition will be the one to get it right :laugh:

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Curveboy likes this.
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

25. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken, the version of "Here I Go Again" on the album was the same in both regions. The only difference with the UK releases were the two extra tracks.

The US remix of "Here I Go Again" (the one where the band kicks in right away instead of the keyboard intro) was done for a single release, it was never on the album.

Rocketdog, Matthew Tate and JasonA like this.