Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh gotcha

2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Thanks for your intelligent input :imwithstupid:

Anthrax, jackinbox and peteham like this.
  3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

You are correct, sir. The "US remix" was a single only. The album versions are exactly the same.

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Nope, I have the UK vinyl with Here I Go Again (US mix) where the band kicks in straight away and it sucks. All these years I had the CD and thought HIGA 87 was the only remake of the track, then I got a vinyl copy a couple months ago and when it got to that song I was shocked to hear this mix as I'd never heard it before.

It's really odd that it was including whilst the single release was 87.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Nope, sadly not correct.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

is there a specific copyright date on these vinyls? as far as I know the album was released in the usa and uk prior to the recording of the us rock mix that was released as a single.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Whitesnake - 1987

8. Matthew Tate

so from what I can tell you have a repressing and not the original pressing. there are 2 vinyl releases listed for the uk . in the notes part of the link you sent

This release includes the USA Remix of "Here I Go Again".

here is the original uk pressing

Whitesnake - 1987

Rocketdog likes this.
  9. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Yeah, as Matthew says, that's not the original release. The track listing is completely rearranged and only numbers 10 tracks instead of 11 as all other UK vinyl/CD releases have.

Porkpie and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

For the original release it certainly is, as I have copies of both. You must have gotten a re-issue of some sort. It's also missing "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again", which is on original pressings. He track run order is different, too.

I don't know when the copy you got was issued, but it wasn't a first run pressing. That said, in the US at least, it'she not uncommon for later pressings of an album to be changed, where the second (or later versions) contain the single mix of a song, instead of the original album version. The general reasoning behind this is that often the "single mix" was a hit, and the version people are expecting to hear when the buy the album. That was definitely not the case with this album, though, as it was the original 1987 album version that was featured in the original video of the song, and drove the album's sales. (And yes, I know that technically, the "original" version of the song comes from the Saints & Sinners album from 1982.) Aside from Top 40 stations, I don't recall the US Remix even getting much play here in the US. The only reason I can think they changed it was to give the UK market a special version of the album, as it was never changed here in the US.

Porkpie and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Leigh Burne

The US Mix was also issued as a B-side to "Give Me All Your Love" here in the UK, labelled the "USA Single Remix". The cover of my CD single actually has a banner in the corner making a point of the alternate version's inclusion.

To be honest, it's the version I've always known. I think it was on some various artists compilation I had when I was a kid. One of the Air Guitar albums maybe? I remember being really surprised when I finally bought 1987 several years later and finding a completely different recording of the song.

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

God this album is confusing! So I'm in the UK and grew up knowing the single version HIGA 87 as well as the CD with this version. I wanted to get a vinyl copy with HIGA 87 on and wasn't aware of the US mix so assumed it was the same. Can someone post a discogs of the UK vinyl with HIGA 87 on as that I would I like to track down

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I guess it's a good thing we are getting everything in one nice new package

:D

John Bliss and Rocketdog like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

i posted a link to the original uk pressing it should have the version with the slow organ intro. the organ version has the scream before the solo. the single remix has a full band. no scream and the keyboards are way up in the mix

single version

1987 version
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again 1987

Curveboy likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Yep, that's the single mix I have but want to avoid. I'll have a look for your link to the version with the slow intro (I'm looking for vinyl though not the CD you linked a couple posts above)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

shoot you are right. i posted the cd version. i can't find a uk vinyl listing with the original track listing

17. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I recall that back in 1987 I listened almost 100% to rock/AOR radio, not top 40, and that summer the album version of "Here I Go Again" was seemingly played every 5 minutes or so on my local station. Was shocked when I happened to tune in to a top 40 station as the song was heading to (USA) #1, and heard the single version. Had never heard a single remix so different from what was on the CD i had bought, the album version was pure heavy rock, with jackhammer guitars, the single version that the top 40 stations got had the guitars turned way down and was embellished with melodic keyboards and synths, a total soft-pop makeover.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  18. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

This is the limited embossed sleeve version I bought when it was originally released. It has 9 tracks and no Here I Go Again.
    Whitesnake - 1987

Here I Go Again (1987) was just the B-side of Still Of The Night in the UK and a bonus track on the UK CD.
    Whitesnake - Still Of The Night

Gavaxeman and sandimascharvel like this.
  19. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Original U.K. picture disc. 9 tracks. Does NOT have "Here I Go Again" (any version!) or "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again"
    Whitesnake '1987' UK 9-tracks Album LP Picture Disc EMCP3528 Rare EX Coverdale | eBay

Original U.K. LP, same as above:
    WHITESNAKE - 1987 - UK LP rare embossed cover | eBay

I remember seeing the UK LP back in 1987 and thinking, "WOW, EMI didn't realize that "Here I Go Again" was going to be huge and they must have thought it was just another re-record, along with "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again" which is a re-working of "Don't Break My Heart Again". Maybe it was "let's not put 3 re-do's" on the album and make 2 of them the CD bonus tracks. That must be why those two songs are tacked onto the end of the original U.K. CD. Apparently John Kalodnar at Geffen and EMI had very different ideas of what was best.

BYW, I can't emphasize enough what a great sounding version of the CD that is. If they can beat that with the box set though, that would always be welcome.

20. Leigh Burne

Looking through Discogs, it seems like others here are indeed right - none of the original UK vinyls had the full track listing. Most don't seem to have "Here I Go Again" at all, and the ones that do have it use the US Mix. I'd guess the fact that the original '82 version had been reasonably successful in the UK is probably what led to them leaving the '87 album version off. Only the CD and cassette editions had all 11 songs.

21. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Funny they thought it was just non-LP b-side material.

22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It was later released as a single here and was one of their biggest hits, that's why it's so strange that they used the US mix on the vinyl. Especially in the UK??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Mike Riding

Here in the UK it had already been a hit in 1982. To us it was just a reworked version, done by the new band in the new direction it had taken musically. As so many bands have done with similar updated versions, it was just to put out as a B-side.

I never understood why this LP's 'Crying In The Rain' didn't have (1987) tagged onto the end.

Looking at Discogs, in 1987 the only single of 'Here I Go Again' I can see released in the UK was the USA Remix. Probably why that was added to the later LP versions.

There seems to have been a 7" and 12" released in Europe which had the Edit and LP Version on them. They could have been the (1987) album version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That's so weird because until I got this album on vinyl recently I'd never heard that mix and I remember when the single came out. I guess I always heard the 87 version on the music video but I hear this song a lot still on the radio and it's always the 87 version they play. Let's face it, there is no logic when it comes to anything relating to this album except to saw it's a great 80s rock record! :agree:

Mike Riding likes this.
  25. Mike Riding

I'm sure I just used to hear the 87 version at the time. It was weird hearing the USA Remix for the first time, it was very jarring as it just didn't sound right.

I agree it's a great record, I'm just so used to the UK CD version now any other tracklist will take a lot of getting used to.

Porkpie likes this.