Whitesnake/David Coverdale album by album (Deep Purple & Coverdale/Page)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

As
    We're the older uncool guys he got rid of

AngusStanley likes this.
  2. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

That should have said "as were" not "we're".

I think humour is pretty vital and baked in for a mostly British band. I always loved the story about Dave saying he'd love to play a little piano one day. So Bernie goes and buys him a toy piano for his birthday - "you've always wanted to play a little piano, now you've got one". The band wet themselves laughing. And when DC let everyone know he didn't find it funny, they wet themselves even more.

evarlam likes this.
  3. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I hadn’t commented on 1987 yet … hopefully not too late.

It is very understandably a polarizing record, given it was completely constructed to sell and compete in the US market, and visually, the band was deliberately styled to “look the part”, in the process, destroying the ozone layer with industrial quantities of hair spray.

So I get how those who loved the “old” (ie pre Slide It In) version struggle with the new incarnation - but is selling the same as selling out?

Personally, not my favorite Whitesnake album, but makes the top three and it’s an album I’d place alongside Hysteria and Slippery When Wet as at pinnacle of pop metal in its banner years of 1986 and, er, 1987.

paradox55, Curveboy, evarlam and 2 others like this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Before I post up the next album, I have to say after finally seeing and hearing the 87 lineup live I agree with what Vivian said about the band all being fantastic players but due to not rehearsing and not working on the arrangements of these songs they didn'y play, they just went out there and did it. It sounds like they are not listening to each other and just whittling away. They didn't work well as a unit professionally.

evarlam likes this.
  5. bartels76

SLIP OF THE TONGUE
    Released Nov 1989
    UK # 10 / US # 10
    [​IMG]

Side 1
    Slip Of The Tongue 5:21
    Cheap An' Nasty 3:29
    Fool For Your Loving 4:12
    Now You're Gone 4:12
    Kittens Got Claws 5:02

Side 2
    Wings Of The Storm 5:02
    The Deeper The Love 4:23
    Judgment Day 5:17
    Slow Poke Music 3:59
    Sailing Ships

Additional musicians:
    Don Airey, David Rosenthal, Claude Gaudette- Keyboards
    Glenn Hughes, Tommy Funderbunk, Richard Page- Backing vocals

*Adrian Vandenberg did not play on the album due to injury*

Singles:
    FOOL FOR YOUR LOVING
    Released Oct 1989
    UK # 43 / US # 37
    [​IMG]
    Remixes:
    Fool For Your Loving:
    AOR Mix
    Vai Voltage Mix
    CHR Mix

Judgement Day
    For Rockers Only

THE DEEPER THE LOVE
    UK # 35 / US # 28
    Released Feb 1990
    [​IMG]

NOW YOU'RE GONE
    May 1990 US/Japan/August 1990 UK
    UK # 31 / US # 96
    [​IMG]

Now Your Gone (Remix)

Notes:
    With Steve Vai playing all the guitar, Whitesnake's sound would change drastically. Whitesnake '87 contained some blues moments but on SOTT there wasn't any element of that despite Coverdale initially attracted to Vai playing a blues guitarist in the movie Crossroads. John Kalodner, their A&R man for Geffen, said later on that he knew there were no hits on the album aside from "Now Your Gone" but he was also dealing with releases from Aerosmith and Cher in late 1989 as well so he just let the album go out as is due to record company pressure rather than making them retool the album. Whitesnake was a sliver of the success the previous album was only reaching Platinum and producing no hit singles.
    Glenn Hughes would be asked to help with backing vocals along with two other people as no one else in the band could really sing well. Glenn sang on "Slow Poke Music", "Fool For Your Loving", and "Kitten's Got Claws." There was also arguments on what the first single should be as Coverdale wanted "Judgement Day" and the record company wanted "Fool For Your Loving". Geffen didn't even re-release "Ready An' Willing" with the rest of the catalog as they were anticipating it being redone. At the last minute the record company won out and Fool For Your Loving didn't light up the charts aside for Mainstream Rock radio. Tawny was quickly brought in for The Deeper The Love which did a bit better but then Now Your Gone eeked out a paltry # 96. Whitesnake would set out on tour for most of 1990...

Curveboy and evarlam like this.
  6. RyanX

RyanX and get the priest as well

the lesser of the "Geffen trilogy", I like most of the songs here but Vai was just not the right guy to bring in. I also wish the box set for this had a different live show instead of Donington...

bartels76 likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I will try and get to Slip this weekend...preview: 2 clunkers plus best Whitesnake song of them all...

bartels76 likes this.
  8. bartels76

I think Whitesnake would've at least sold Platinum if they released a live disc after Slip whether it was Donington or some other show. Coverdale wasn't a big fan of live albums so he never bothered to document shows from the past. The ones we got were TV broadcasts. It's a shame.
    He only warmed up to the fact when on his website fans asked for live albums. He never realized there was such a demand for them.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

So I never heard this album at the time. After the big disappointment of 1987, the next thing I hear from Coverdale is a video for an absolute desecration of “Fool For Your Loving.” No thanks, pass.

Sometime within the last 5 years or so, I finally plucked this cd out of a dollar bin and gave it a listen. No great shakes, but I think on the whole I prefer it to 1987. It sounds better for starters. And the good songs here are better than the majority of 1987 even if nothing comes close to “Still of the Night.” This album is ok.

10. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Was Tommy Aldridge born at 50? Of all people the glam genre did not suit, at least visually.

Presents likes this.
  11. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

The problem with Slip is that half of it is throwaway. They spent some two million bucks recording it, used two producers, reportedly gave Steve Vai another million to come in and salvage it (record execs heard the basic tracks and rejected it, the story about Vivian’s injury is exactly that) … but that doesn’t save stuff like Slow Poke Music, Cheap An Nasty and Kitten’s Got Claws.

Elmer McMuffin likes this.
  12. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Every time I read a Steve Vai comment about his time in Whitesnake he always comes off (to me) as apologizing for being in that band. I thought he did his best, considering all.

13. Levi's Tubs

Judgment Day's a good tune. I don't know if I've ever listened to the whole Slip album more than once.

14. bartels76

I haven’t reviewed it yet but everyone should give Sailing Ships a listen at least!

Use_Your_Koala and Curveboy like this.
  15. Levi's Tubs

I think we missed David Coverdale's 71st birthday yesterday. Cheers, DC!

Curveboy likes this.
  16. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

He has had the exact same hairstyle since Black Oak Arkansas or even earlier.

17. bartels76

SLIP OF THE TONGUE- my review
    Slip Of The Tongue - The album kicks off in a very dramatic fashion with some wussy keyboards and then dives into a sonic barrage. It immediately becomes apparent that this a very different overdressed Whitesnake. David sings into the stratosphere which pinches the vocals where you can barely understand the verses. Steve is all over the place. Tommy and Rudy try to hold the whole thing down but its no use. Lyrics are stupid even for Whitesnake. 2.5/5
    Cheap An' Nasty- This song has grown on me over the years as could be something you would find on Slide It In and David sings in his normal range. 3.5/5
    Fool For Your Loving- Yes this version is over dressed and complete apples and oranges to the original. I like the different take on it even though it wasn't necessary. I also like the different remixes that came out on the US single promo disc. The only weak part is Vai's solo. 4/5
    Now You're Gone - I remember the review in Kerrang! of this where they said "If I lived in North Carolina, this song would be just ducky." I think it's a well written pop song however. The single remix is a bit better than the album version. 4/5
    Kittens Got Claws - Ugh this is a bit too on the nose here. Sad they did this live throughout the tour as well. 2/5
    Wings Of The Storm - Love this fast rocker. Everyone plays great here and Steve's overworked guitar works well in this context as it's needed unlike some of the others songs that don't need a blistering solo. 4/5
    The Deeper The Love - Another well-written pop song but this should've been arranged slower and bluesier. It's too fast so it doesn't simmer like Is This Love. Vai's solo is too much for the song as well. I still like it despite all this. 4/5
    Judgment Day - I actually didn't like this song at first as I thought it was a blatant Zeppelin rip off but hearing it live and now 30+ years later it is one of the best Whitesnake songs out there. The whole band really clicks and David's vocals are perfect. 5/5
    Slow Poke Music - Like Kittens Got Claws this is another filler. Sweet Lady Luck should've replaced this. 1/5
    Sailing Ships- My favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Whitesnake songs. My god ..the lyrics, the acoustic riff, David hits the highest note I believe ever in his career. Essential. 5/5
    I would be a broken record so I'll just mention it here in the summary that the remixes on the Red White Blue Trilogy and the Greatest Hits are worth checking out as the songs are slimmed down of all the keyboards and guitar work. Also the demos and basic tracks on the Super Deluxe Edition feature Adrian's guitar so you hear what could've been. If people weren't aware or forgot how big of a coup it was to get Steve Vai as he was the biggest guitar hero that was free agent of the time so to hear the results disappointed a lot of fans. Hearing it 30 plus years later there is some good material here. Tommy and Rudy's work is fantastic too.
    Rating 3.5/5

Bonus track: Sweet Lady Luck-
    Another fast rocker that should've been on the album. 3.5/5

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Slip of the Tongue

A few notes; The sound of this album is MASSIVE. It’s a wondrous thing. Every penny spent can be heard in this mix.

I was not a fan of Steve Vai before this album came out, and I was not a fan after. But what David got out of him on this album is impressive.

My disappointment that Vandenberg wasn’t on the album was massive at the time, but at least now with the box set and remix discs we get a taste of his rhythm playing before he got injured.

A cover of Vandenberg’s Burning Heart was announced on the original track list but was never released. David said he wasn’t happy with his vocals and after hearing the rehearsal tapes I understand. The emotion just wasn’t there.

Slip of the Tongue – a heavy metal masterpiece. The combo of Aldridge and Vai in lock-step with each just makes such a fulfilling rhythmic combo, with Sarzo keeping it all moving.

Cheap ‘An Nasty – classic WS! This would fit in on any album, and I love it. Fantastic chorus, and super fun lyrics from Mr. Coverdale.

Fool For Your Loving – depends on the day, but I flip flop between which is the better version. The bluesy groove of the original, or the slick magic of the newer. Let me say this; David’s vocal on here is a thing of beauty. And Rudy’s melodic bass line is also something that brings me back here.

Now You’re Gone – not a ballad guy but this is a fantastic one. Really, stunningly beautiful and well performed.

Kitten’s Got Claws – this made it to the live show? I hate this song. I don’t like David’s vocal, they lyrics are abysmal.

Wings of the Storm – another full on metal assault. Sarzo again holding this down with that beating bass! Fantastic vocals, and that chorus! “Like a fire forever burning…” just great stuff. Vai really shines on this one too.

The Deeper The Love – ballad #2 doesn’t quite work as well for me, but it’s still pleasant and listenable. I certainly don’t skip it.

Judgment Day – and now we get to it. The WS masterpiece of masterpieces. Flawless, and can leave me as speechless today as the day I first heard it. Massive, melodic middle-eastern tinged heavy metal of the finest order. David’s best vocal? Debatable, but I’d put it forth as one of the top 5. “We walk towards desire, hand-in-hand through fields of fire, with only love to light the way…” some of my favorite lyrics of any song of any genre. One can only speculate how this album would have done if this had been the single as originally planned.

Slow Poke Music – ugh ugh ugh

Sailing Ships – OK, look...it’s great, OK? But I find it very depressing and hard to listen to. Maybe where I was in life when this alum came out, but it still brings me to the brink of tears.

B-sides:

Sweet Lady Luck – this didn’t make the album but Kitten’s Got Claws and Slow Poke Music did? This is really good rocker, and much like Cheap ‘An Nasty with a less slick mix this could fit anywhere in the WS canon.

Fool For Your Loving (Vai Voltage Mix) – more Vai for your listening pleasure? Well, the rhythms are a bit more subdue, the fills a bit bigger and plentiful. It’s an interesting alt mix but I prefer the album version.

The box set also contains alternate mixes of some songs, some tracks with Adrian’s rhythms intact too. A few incomplete demos, like Parking Ticket, which had they finished it would have probably been better than Slow Poke Music.

bartels76 and Riffraff03 like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Side note; David and Adrian teamed up for a remake of Sailing Ships on Vandenberg's Moonkings 2014 disc.

Vandenberg's MoonKings - Sailing Ships (ft. David Coverdale)

bartels76 likes this.
  20. bartels76

evarlam and Curveboy like this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Slip Of The Tongue features David Coverdale with a completely new line-up compared to the previous record, but we're still firmly in heavy metal territory. Abandon all hope those who struggled with 1987 Whitesnake, because the days of Ready An' Willing are long gone and don't appear to be coming back (even if you see Fool For Your Loving grace this album's tracklist). Though in terms of songwriting we could say it is perhaps a notch below the more immediate and rather irresistible 1987 album, Slip Of The Tongue still features plenty of hard rocking power as well as typical Coverdale/Whitesnake tongue-in-cheek swagger.

Just as in 1987 Coverdale shared the spotlight with guitarist John Sykes, this time around the MVP spot belongs to Steve Vai, who takes the opportunity to display his distinctive style for the duration. Vai may have not had a hand in the actual writing of the songs (Vandenberg took Sykes' place as Coverdale's writing partner this time around), but his signature guitar arrangements and singular musical personality are all over the album. And I mean all over. This album has energy in spades, and Vai has such an endless flow of ideas it's ridiculous. His guitar doesn't just rock the songs and inject beautiful and amazing solos at the drop of a hat, but even seems to be commenting during the songs at every opportunity too, and the seemingly endless variation of phrases and tones in those "comments" works in giving this album a different identity, a different personality. Stay away if you're allergic to Vaiisms, because Slip Of The Tongue is rife with them. It's pretty much the Coverdale/Vai show. Rudy Sarzo on bass and powerhouse Tommy Aldridge on drums complete another stellar line-up.

Stellar is probably not the word I'd use to describe the album, though, as I do believe it doesn't hit the spot as good as its predecessor, but it is still mostly excellent if you're a fan of heavy Whitesnake. I'm not too keen on this album's token ballad, The Deeper The Love, which I find not particularly inspired, but that's the only song I'd call weak, and I find it hard not to love the rest of these songs and performances.

Kittens Got Claws has to be the most fun track Coverdale has done in years, and also on the fun side of things is Cheap An' Nasty, which reminds one a bit of what Whitesnake used to be, I think it finds a bridge between both eras of the band. I must say I love the beginning of the solo on Cheap An' Nasty. How about that moment when Coverdale shouts "... babe, before you do it agaaaaainn!" and Vai matches his last note with the guitar? Glorious. Slow Poke Music also has some of that early-Whitesnake-meets-current-Whitesnake thing going, though perhaps it's not as convincing as Cheap An' Nasty in that sense. It has a bit of the old feel but presented in the guise of their late 80s sound. It's fun and it works for me, though I admit I've always overlooked it a bit being sandwiched in between two favourites.

There's also a power ballad called Now You're Gone, which scratches the sentimental itch much better than The Deeper The Love, in my opinion. Though if it's power we're after, we can find plenty of that on Judgement Day, Wings Of The Storm or on the fiery opener Slip Of The Tongue, all of which are fantastic. Judgement Day merits special mention as it is absolute class, and it builds to a very satisfying climax. Coverdale puts in a blinder, while Vai and Aldridge rightly claim the spotlight as well. A highlight.

Rounding things up is Sailing Ships. Another definite highligh, this is one of the best things I've ever heard on a Whitesnake album, a track that I find extremely moving, and it's so well done, so well constructed and executed, including a wonderful lyric that speaks to me more now with every passing year (if only Coverdale had written more like this for that album with Jimmy Page! Sigh). It's my favourite song on the album bar none, and the one track that alone would make this album worth having even if I didn't like the rest. It's simply phenomenal. Vai provides the magic and Coverdale excels again vocally, with a moving lyric bereft of his usual luvvv rubbish. Best thing on the album for me, without a doubt.

All in all, and as I mentioned above, Slip Of The Tongue is probably not as completely solid a collection of songs as 1987 was, but if you're at all into heavy Whitesnake, this is another fantastic album you should have in your collection.

7/10

22. bartels76

LIQUOR AND POKER TOUR 1990
    The band set out on another massive tour throughout the US, Canada, Japan, and Europe. On Aug 18, 1990 they headlined Castle Donington again. In a Kerrang interview around the time of the show Coverdale spoke about taking a break after the tour is over. I just found an interview with a Toronto TV station from June 1990 saying the same thing about him needing a sabbatical so it must've been on his mind for sometime.

Only the Donington show was filmed from the tour. Here is the show.

Here is the 30th Anniversary reunion of the lineup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyFxb7Iqfc&t=2847s

Bootleg from Buffalo, NY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCbqXsZg_Co

Curveboy likes this.
  23. bartels76

LAST NOTE OF FREEDOM
    Released June 1990 in the US/ UK single Oct 1990
    [​IMG]

David was already testing the water doing a solo track on this soundtrack album. Written by Hans Zimmer and Billy Idol, David sang this with a bunch of session musicians. I believe To Cruise personally asked him to sing the song on the soundtrack. It was released as a single in the UK but I don't see a record of it charting. This s the last time we would hear from Coverdale for 3 years.

Soundtrack version

There was an unreleased alternate remix done for the song that didn't come out until the Whitesnake Gold compilation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfLm_izROSM

My review: I think this song is great and it has the big 80's showy soundtrack vibe. David's vocals are impeccable. 4/5

Curveboy likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

just an FYI that a year or so ago they released the audio of the full show for digital download, and it’s much more dynamic than the edited version released on the box set.

Anthrax and bartels76 like this.
  25. bartels76

Curveboy likes this.