Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue (6CD/1DVD) Deluxe Edition - 10/04/19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Hey guys,are the DVDs in these sets region free? Would it matter if I ordered from Europe? The sets are cheaper.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

the dvd from the SOOT box has a zero "0" code, so yes

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks, so I guess they all would be then. My Donnigton set does, I wonder about the Unzipped set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. WhoDaresWins

unzipped dvd is a zero code as well. don't worry you are safe

Matthew Tate and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Got this set yesterday and it's another fantastic package.

I think I actually prefer the running order of the main album here. Must admit I sorta forgot just how good this album is.

A lot of people like to claim that vai ruined it by overplaying but I think for the most part his solo's are tasteful and what the songs required. Lets not forget this was 1989 arguably the pinnacle of the flashy playing era so....

Anyway what's not to love!?!?!

6. Jimmy Agates

7. WhoDaresWins

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Eh, that's going to be hard to pull off if there's not much extra material. What I've read about this indicates we're talking about a few extra tracks and maybe a live recording. It'd be a cold sell to keep the price point (or increase it) while just about halving the amount of substance on offer. I don't even think the bean counters are bold enough to attempt that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I posed earlier in the thread and I think the set will look something like this:

Original album plus bonus tracks (David said there are 4-5 unreleased tracks)
    Remix album
    Demos/Rehearsals
    2 CD live show from Japan

10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Plus DVD with documentary, videos and potential live material (probably not a full show)

That seems like a full box and one I would happily fork out for.....(as if I wasn't going to anyway)

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Back to this box set...

I'm listening to the Granny's House stuff...Granny's was a recording studio so this is all in pretty amazing quality.
    I'm thinking (at least up to where I am) this is all Vandenberg and before Vai joined up.

I really like Parking Ticket and wish they had continued working on it...I certainly like it more than Kitten's Got Claws.

12. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I agree the Granny's house demos are great. Just wondering if there any recording dates on the boxset?

Anyone able to clarify what tracks are re-records?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. WhoDaresWins

I listened to the first 13 tracks of the Granny's House demos in my car on my way to work this morning. I love these raw demos so far, judgement day and sailing ships are standout! It's nice to hear the 4 guys in the studio fleshing out ideas for songs.

It also great to hear DC fooling around in the studio with candid adlib to lyrics in some tracks.

I agree the track Parking Ticket had some potential and i also liked Kill for the Kut

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just got the 2 CD set in the mail, and so far I’m happy with the sound of the remaster. Sure it’s a tad louder than the original CD, but it’s also fuller sounding with a little more meat to it. Looking forward to the monitor mix CD as well as the bonus songs at the end of Disc 1.

I do enjoy the modified track listing, as well as the new way KGC’s starts. Right to the point! It’s refreshing to put a new spin on a classic, I’m down with that. Also, on my original CD there was a volume drop when Cheap and Nasty began, not anymore!

Booklet for the 2CD set leaves little to be desired. Would have liked some text from David about this album, memories, thoughts, but I guess that’s what you get when you skimp out on the deluxe set LOL

This brings back great memories for me. From getting an advance cassette single for Fool For Your Living, with Slow Poke Music included. I remember really digging Slow Poke Music and wondering what the rest of the album would sound like? I also remember sleeping overnight outside of The Bay with my friend Danny for tickets to the SOTT tour! As this was in the dead of winter we each took turns sleeping in the car, and sitting out in the cold. We got great seats for our friends and 8 of us took in the show.

Kind of kicking myself for not getting the full boxset, but I did order the Unzipped box along with the 1987 30th Anniversary Box. Can’t wait to get those.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Kind of blasphemous but I really enjoyed the edited Donington show more than the original...
    The boiled it down to it's essence and beyond a few rough patches with David's voice (methinks he was drinking a bit too much) it's a solid performance.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

PS - mastering on Donington is completely different (and better!) too.

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Loving my Unzipped box...WOW

18. WhoDaresWins

I still have donnigton & inteview cd left to listen too. I'm actually looking forward to the Donnington edited cd. I have the previous full show release and i'm hoping for judgement day to have the drum solo edited out from track. There were some segments of the full show cd to be too long and drawn out and i think the edited show in the box set might be better.

I also really enjoyed the monitor mixes. the tracks that stood for me on that cd were, Wings of the Storm & Sailing Ships. I think i prefer the monitor mixes to these two tracks than the final versions on the album. After listening to all this material, i've gained more appreciation for Wings of the Storm and Sweet Lady Luck and also Steve Vai's contributions to the final product of the album.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  19. Jimmy Agates

I actually agree.

20. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

Remaster sounds very nice indeed. I wish the 1987 set sounded as good as this one and Slide It In.

beansandcornbrea likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yes, it does seem that each box set has sounded better...

22. WhoDaresWins

i just checked the remastering credits for each box set. Dave Donnelly remastered 1987 box set & Scott Hull remastered the 3 other box sets. I believe any changes made with the person in charge of remastering was for a reason.

23. Jimmy Agates

From memory Dave Donnelly did the 20th Anniversary editions which were largely panned on this forum.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Current playlist: Slip of the Tongue revamped!

Slip of the Tongue (alternate)
    Cheap 'An Nasty (alternate)
    Now You're Gone (Chris Lord-Alge remix)
    Wings of the Storm
    The Deeper The Love
    Judgement Day (alternate)
    Sweet Lady Luck
    Fool For Your Loving (AOR mix)
    Sailing Ships

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Reading this thread with interest, as this is an album I'm very much fond of.

I was always under the impression that Vai is the only guitarist on the album, rhythm and lead guitars. I suppose all of Vandenberg's contributions happened during the demo stages prior to final production. Any info/evidence on the box as to the opposite?

Also, is there any clearer evidence of Glenn Hughes on any of the recordings prior to the final mixes?