Whitesnake: The Red, White and Blues Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

'Fool For Your Loving' is an glaring omission. Would have liked to have included some pre 84 'rock' songs

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are still two more discs coming...so it could be one of those.

Carlox, Trader Joe and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

I thought Bad Boys from 1987 would have been a definite for the Rock Album!

Regarding pre-Slide It In material being included on the next two compilations, I believe that is unlikely as David Coverdale doesn't control/have access to those albums whereby he could remix them.

Matthew Tate, Rufus rag and Curveboy like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Enjoying Rock album immensely. Just picked up a sealed copy of Good To Be Bad album 2008 limited edition 2 cd set. Haven't snail mail soon enough. Just trying to get most of the Whitesnake later albums.

5. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I love Whitesnake's Good To Be Bad 2 CD limited edition release. This is a great Whitesnake release.

I have enjoyed it for many years now.

6. Curveboy

Is now the time to bring up Still Good To Be Bad?

:hide:

7. Curveboy

I think you missed my point...you just bought Good To Be Bad...but there is another version out there...

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I gotcha now. I would love that version you posted but a little too much to the north for the price. Great edition though. Thanks for informing me about it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Yes!

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I like Good To Be Bad and have the edition that came in a little box with a bonus CD.

I had no idea there was a later edition with extra tracks. This sort of thing is maddening.

11. Curveboy

Here are some notes I made going though The ROCK Album..sorry if something doesn't make sense as I'm listening and working and trying to get my thoughts down!

The ROCK Album

Still of the Night - big sound stage...updated drum sound and HUGE guitars.
    David's voice is nice and present without overpowering the mix, but he is more upfront than the original. The middle "violin" break sounds better than ever going into Sykes flurry of lead notes. There are textures underneath brought forward as well. Brand new ending too.

Best Years - Not as dense or muddy as the original mix. Flows beautifully with Still of the Night. Keyboards toned down to focus on the guitars, and the bass guitar is much more upfront. They really gave Doug's lead room to shine.

Tell Me How - New opening and again the bass is more pronounced, giving the overall instrumentation a more democratic mix. Some great new guitar fills. Not sure if I like the new breakdown, but it's very different from the original mix.

Love Ain't No Stranger - In normal circumstances I don't think I'd ever have said Cozy Powell's drums are too loud, but if the object was to bring all these mixes into a coherent listening experience, I think this one misses the mark.

All or Nothing - OK, this one sounds more in tune with the other tracks. I think this is the same remix as the 2019 just re-EQ'd.

Give Me All Your Love - Not sure I dig the new keyboards, but the overall mix is very good. Really boosted Sykes but maybe the Campbell lead would have worked better. I think Joel adds some textures here and there that are nice.

Can You Hear The Wind Blow - Man I love this tune! But like Love Ain't No Stranger I feel like they could have backed off a little on the drums. But wow do I love whatever little tricks they used for the short break after the lead as everything sounds really cool and trippy. Hard to believe this song is 12 year old already!

Restless Heart - So glad to see this tune getting some love, as it's a great one.
    I'm still not sold on the "ooo ooo ooo" parts being so loud, but the new keys and added guitar bits are all welcome. And the new mix on David's voice is just killer.

Anything You Want - from the Japanese pressing of Restless Heart, this is a decent mid-tempo 'Snake rocker. Not my favorite tune but they did a nice job of updating it.

Here I Go Again - Here I go again

Judgement Day - how do you polish perfection?
    It lists Adrian Vandengburg on rhythm so I don't think these are the tracks that were used for Slip of the Tongue, but does list Vai on lead; some of Vai's fills are gone. And wow, love hearing Sarzo up in the mix on bass. I maintain that the original is in the top 10 best metal songs of all time!

She Give Me - From David's Into The Light Album, all 'Snaked up! Actually, it's not radically different but does sound bigger.

Crying - this is another favorite from Restless Heart. Wow, I really love this new mix. All the added stuff really beefs it up. When they get to release the full remix of Restless Heart this should be the single!

Can't Stop Now - another track from the Japanese version of Restless...again very beefed up and sounding much more like a classic 'Snake tune.

Always The Same - really good track / outtake from the Flesh & Blood sessions.

Forevermore - Not quite sure this fits "the rock album." Seems like this would be more at home on one of the other two collections. Bad Boys, Ready To Rock or maybe Slip of the Tongue would have been a better tune to close on.

12. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

No way is the ROCK album a simple remix!!! There is rerecording going on here!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Yes Coverdale stated some guitar and keyboard parts were being added

ARK, Riffraff03 and Curveboy like this.
  14. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Yes definitely hear that (e.g guitar picking the chord at the beginning of Judgement Day) also some of his vocal phrasing sound different (Here I go Again for example).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Curveboy

David in his interview with Eddie Trunk said that Joel added little bits of rhythm and textures but did not touch the leads. Derick Sherinian redid a lot of the keyboard parts.

Riffraff03 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Curveboy

Looks like (based on the liner notes) Joel did not add guitar to Judgement Day. What I think they did do was use Vandenberg's rhythms instead of Vai's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the notes are pretty detailed?

18. Curveboy

there is a paragraph on every track, then lyrics for all the songs followed by musician credits.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have literally nothing to add - as I agree 100% with your assessment!

Riffraff03, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  20. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

i have no problems when artists do remixes, but its not cool to replace the original mix track with the remix track on the official video.

YouTube

21. Curveboy

Original is still very much out there...and what you posted is clearly marked as from The Rock Album

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Curveboy

I was really referring to the 4 bonus tracks; If You Want Me, Ready To Rock, All I Want Is You and Dog. These have Chris Frazier on drums where the originals (on Live In The Shadow of the Blues) had Tommy Aldridge.

bartels76 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Curveboy

Unboxing...?

Still it is entertaining...

25. Curveboy

So on the Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon podcast David confirmed that every album from 1987 to Forevermore has been remixed and will be released at some point after the Restless Heart box set. He also said Into The Light has been remixed and will be released as a Whitesnake album.

I found this clip in my collection; an announcement on MTV news about the Coverdale/Page project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.