DCC Archive Whither DCC?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben, Sep 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

It's now been about two years since we've seen any new releases from DCC...we are fast approaching the end of the window where the principals at the company said we could be looking for new releases or, at least, some re-releases....but so far nothing...

Music Direct is also yet to be heard from as the new Mobile Fidelity....no new releases, no announcements since April...no nothing.

My question to the board is this: In your opinion are these companies really going to be producing new product or are we just being jerked around while they scramble for revenue?

Ben :confused:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Well my friend, with or without DCC and MFSL V.3, we're still in a reissue rennesance. It's not only audiophile small labels who are scrambling, but big majors are trying to get as many major older artist catalogs in decent shape. (Minus Beatles and Stones but we''ll save that for another century).

Before DCC dared to spend their money on artists like CCR and Jim Croce. Now, take a look at the CD racks. Every label and their subsidiary is trying to take a crack on reissuing and remastering everything. Now, more than ever, you've got VH1 creating a heightened awareness for a lot of older artists, and the labels that are trying to pave new aluminum for issues that have been out since the 80's.

Now, take in to just this fact alone that you've got licencing, and how hard it is with all the majors spending lots of money in marketing LOTS of new reissues, they're not going to give anyone a shot at reissuing much right now. Before, in the CD softmore era, majors didn't take to remastering things so keenly or quickly. Now, someone's got his hands in remastering something, and licences get tied up for that reason and TONS MORE other reasons too... :rolleyes:

Take a favorite title, and either it's been done before, or it's a licensing issue. Take it all with a grain of salt. Wait patiently. My feeling is, if you haven't explored a lot of the older titles on DCC CD's Gold line, concentrate on buying them now, as the market is being less overwhelmed with those titles. Don't miss what's already becoming scarce. This is a fair warning.

Right now Steve has his hands in tons of projects right now. Be patient and it's gonna happen big time. :D

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Quoth Sckott
    I don't think that's really it. I remember Steve said that with the All Things Must Pass reissue out there, it would be *easier* for DCC to do a version.

It's a shame there are issues with MCA - DCC versions of the original mixes of Tommy and Who's Next would be slick. That is, of course, assuming masters could be found for Tommy, but...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I say pick on stuff either not done, or not done very well, and more in need of attention. I wouldn't want to grab a hold of a project if a major label JUST did it.

However, I agree with you on ATMP. If DCC released a gold issue from the actual masters, nothing remixed or manipulated from the original 1/2 track, i'd buy it in seconds. I already bought the reissue box in CD and LP too. I like the soft sound of that album, the way Spector and Harrison decided on, even though that's not how everyone feels about it.

As far as WN I believe the 2 track masters are in similar fate as Tommy, am I not correct? I know some of the multi's got damaged beyond repair....

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Wasn't the last DCC release Queen last August?

Hey, I got to be user 100! My life is complete.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Quoth Sckott
    Well, Steve used the WN master for the MCA CD - I'm sure it's around somewhere, it's just a matter of where. As for the multis, I don't know anything about any of them being damaged - I know some are missing, but I've never heard about any damaged ones.

Also, there's a chance Glyn Johns has some of the multis - I don't think anyone in the Who camp talked to him when doing the recent reissues.

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I'm still waiting for the Dave Mason twofer.

8. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

And we'll wait a little longer too. Remember a couple of things (OK, several things)from the earlier boards that unfortunately were not archived and searchable.

1. DCC is not a huge company with unlimited amounts of money to license just anything since some folks want too much money.
    2. Not everyone will license things.
    3. There is still the SACD/DVD-A fight and DCC (like lots of other companies) doesn't want to dedicated lots of money on a format that might not be successful and have a warehouse of "coasters" in jewelboxes.
    4. The main emphasis on releases will be in re-releasing the back catolog on both standard Gold CD and whatever the new format is.
    5. The web site was put together by an outside firm and there have been some problems getting it updated.
    6. Steve Hoffman works for DCC so that's the only place we can get his stuff (other than the old MCA), so we'll have to be patient. By the way, in response to Junior Member #18 Ben-- making snide comments or implying the companies are lying or not producing, etc. isn't helping--it's just needless bitching and shows your ignorance about the industry.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Dough ]

9. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Yes - I am "ignorant" about "the industry," it's not my industry...unlike yourself, a music business genius...

No - I wasn't meaning to "be snide" in my remarks, just getting tired of paying "eBay" prices on CD's that were going to be "re-issued in the near future..."

I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my remarks...

Or, as Hobson would say...."on the other hand, go $#@&* yourself!"

Sincerely,

Ben :cool:

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think Steve is pretty much free to do work for whoever wants to hire him, isn't he? I know he's done work for Razor & Tie within the past 4-5 years.

11. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I'm not a genius, (and wasn't offended, just tired of hearing the bitching) but I know enough to know that you can't "complain" a company into hurrying up so you can save money. I agree we're all tired of paying Ebay prices for stuff, but we just have to sit tight.

And true, Steve works for others, but I'm not sure he has the freedom to do his magic in quite the same way for others as he does at DCC. Otherwise the only difference in the DCC would be the gold coating on the CD and the packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.