"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Now going via the Facebook who page to the store it says the 45rpm is awaiting new copies.

I had resigned myself to getting the standard copy tomorrow for $20. I’m debating on whether or not it’s worth the extra $25 and the wait.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What is the indie exclusive vinyl version?
    How many different versions of this album are there?
    I want to buy it but I'm afraid I'll buy the wrong one

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Guess I better listen again cause you guys are almost always right lol but I love that one.

4. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Theres nothing wrong with it. Including it on a Who album is mildly eyebrow raising. It made me chuckle that they have done - I'm all for it. Got to surprise us after all.

Rockford & Roll and Jet Age Eric like this.
  5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Why, oh why did Townshend allow his voice to be auto-tuned to death on this? Unnecessary! I like the songs, but the production on the vocals, especially, is overkill.

6. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

My wife and I listened to the audiobook versions of Roger's memoirs, then Pete's. Without that, probably wouldn't have thought much of seeing them again or checking out this album. But, knowing them as we feel we do now, they are both can't miss. Hoping to see them at the rescheduled date in Dallas in the spring, and teared up and laughed out loud several times listening to the new album. Get to know them for a deeper appreciation of all that is The Who.

Shoeshine likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Had to go to 4 stores before i found the single lp version.

Herman Schultz and Bomber1 like this.
  8. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Not using digital or protools there is precedence for this thing.

Dark Side Of The Moon was mixed in a similar manner, the backing and vocals mixed and well compressed, then full dynamic range drum fills laid over the top as accents.

dee likes this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I agree here, it does sound like they have energy for another studio follow up at least. Such a fun listen.

10. Target is a US big store chain like Walmart/ASDA or Carrefour in Europe. They sell an extra tracks version on CD that is different than the rest of the standard tracks CDs the other stores sell in the US.

It has nothing to do with 'target' style labels used on Warner/WEA CDs in the mid-80s.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  11. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Hate to break the news but they get along fine. Another illusion dashed...

Jon H., Fullbug and street legal like this.
  12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Before I give my first impression(like they matter) I want to say that its a good feeling to know Pete and Roger are still writing with some fire, singing like it matters and showing creativity. Its just great to have them at least trying to say something and surprisingly succeeding in fashion that holds up The Who spirit. They should be proud of adding to the legacy.

I am a fan of Endless Wire, so some of what I write is based upon that fact. I think it was and is a good album. With that here is my take..

The most immediate thing that strikes me on “Who” is Roger’s vocal ability. He is something else. He has recovered much of his vocal character. On Endless Wire I forgave some of the airiness and and swallowed sound (though Roger has always sounded a bit throaty anyway) because the songs were good. But with the album Who I was and am very surprised at how his vocals have improved. I figured we’d get a growling grizzled sound. Not so. So thats a big plus.

Im not sure how much Pete is playing. He has an awful lot of support Id think. Not saying he isnt playing for much of the album (so dont chunk your mod boots at me heel first) but some of the classic who rhythms and such sound a bit too straight to be him. I dont know if that makes sense. But where it counts I pick up on his strongest moments. It seems Pete is stronger vocally also. I like the harmony work and construction better on this album than the last, I will give him that.

I have really enjoyed Pete’s writing on these last two albums. I do think the writing on Endless was more creative. The subject matter was what Pete does best—-introspection and human character. This new album is more political it seems. Which is ok. Maybe it was time to blanket up the Brit flag again. This album is more a call back to roots and also the classic The Who sound. While Endless Wire did open with that confounded (saying this for Roger) diddling on the keyboard ala Baba O Riley, for the most part Endless Wire stayed away from the more Who’ish crunch chords.

On this new album there are much more references to songs such as Magic Bus rhythms (Detour), Who Are You effects (All This Music Must Fade)and just the general sound is more classic. This would never be done if Pete couldnt use it in the best way. Which he does. Hell, who knows The Who sound better? He invented it for the most part. There are also moments of “A Quick One” feeling. The album cover makes perfect sense to me. This is a culmination of The Who sounds.

The first two songs work better within the context of the album. I didnt care for them so much when I first heard them. But they hold together and grew on me once I heard the complete album. I love the construction of the album also. The compositional arrangement of the songs hold together better than Endless Wire, although I think EW had stronger material.

Well engineered album. Yes its somewhat loud. Thats that. But the actual engineering and what matters to balance the new with the old has been done just about as well within the creative framework as could be done. The first four songs I really like. I do agree that maybe a song or two could be replaced later on in the album. But thats Pete. He has his weird moments.

Big disappointment? Well, maybe not big but I hate the effects Pete is using on the shanty “Danny And My Ponies”. Reminds me of a Richard Thompson tune. I like it and it could have been a little reprise on the proper album. I would take it over “Ill Be Back” or “She Rocked My World”. Probably a couple of the bonus tracks on the deluxe I would prefer to those two. Later album favorite “Rockin In Rage”.

Those are my first impressions. Surprisingly good album thats sang, played and arranged great.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the DRs... if you've also heard the CD, what do your ears tell you?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Can't stop playing this.

16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Well this was a surprisingly difficult album to track down, but I finally got a copy. As I mentioned Friday, went to three different local record stores and none of them had it in either LP or CD format. One store had no idea and the other two said they ordered it and no copies showed up when expected with no timeline on when it might show up. So I saw the news about the Target version, went to four(!) different Targets, four blank spaces on the new releases endcaps where it should have been. Two Targets showed copies in stock but not one person could find them - they were all super helpful. So at that point I figured I’m going to have to bite the bullet and give Bezos more money and be a little patient, wait... the CD copy won’t be in stock until after the 11th? What the heck? Ok then. Fortunately I found a copy at my local Barnes & Noble today.

Welcome to buying physical media in 2019 I guess. That should not have been so hard. It was day of release for a highly hyped album from a band that is certainly not obscure in the least, but it took 8 stores to find a copy. Awful. This hobby is getting depressing.

17. dee

dee Senior Member

I like and think "I'll Be Back" is a little quirky, charming, endearing, and Pete delivers some sweet tones with some relatively tuneful singing.
    I think the verse coming out of the instrumental break doesn't sound quite as strong in carrying the melody and tempo, but he finishes strong at the end verse/chorus again.

18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I thinks it’s a fantastic song and fits perfectly in its slot. Do you like Pete’s solo work? This isn’t that much of a leap for him.

Herman Schultz, Modfather and Bomber1 like this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

Break The News and Rockin' In Rage remind me a little of mid 70's Who, Daltrey, Townshend solo, parts of Rough Mix meets One of the Boys, meets Pete's orchestrated demos with Ted Astley. I think Who is kind of a more mellow and melancholy record than I expected or was prepared for. I think it closes creatively and interestingly. Then there's the bonus tracks to add some more flavor. Quite enjoyable and even endearingly enigmatic on a second listen for me.

20. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

What I think is funny about their relationship as shown in public lately is what they did with making this album.

If you go back to the ‘90s, Roger really wanted to collaborate with Pete, going back to the Daltrey Sings Townshend shows. After their ‘90s Quad tours, their activity in ‘99 and tours in 2000 and even 2002, it’s clear Daltrey still wanted collaboration and new material. They do Endless Wire, Rog still talks about the great songs Pete writes and seems to want more collaboration.

Flash forward past some tours to this last year or two and making this album. Even by Rog’s own account he had a “wobble” and didn’t feel the songs were well suited. He had to be bargained with, do his symphonic tour to do this LP. More hysterical, no matter any naysayers in this thread, by all critical accounts it’s Pete’s best songwriting since the ‘80s or even ‘70s! LOL!!!

Sure, Rog likes it now, but he wasn’t loving it a year ago.

It goes to show you, there’s way more complexity in their relationship, probably a lot of it prompted by each doing their best to hold up their musical legacy, from a place of deep and a little twisted pride.

Anyway, they should both be proud about how they made this LP turn out.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Finally for me (hopefully after I receive the 3LP set - bomber1 I've done what I've needed to on my end for now and thanks again for your help) the greedy fan (me) is left wanting even more this new album is so interesting. I'll have to wait for "Sand" and after that this new 15 song "Who" collection will have to do. I enjoyed the 1st chapter of Pete's new novel also. So there's that still too. Glad they have scheduled more concerts also. Hollywood, FL especially. Cheers.

Fwiw Danny and My Ponies is more reminiscent to me of Springsteen than Thompson, but it's all good - it's a Townshend :)

Bomber1 likes this.
  22. I don't have the CD, sorry.

RubenH likes this.
  23. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

My vinyl has not shown up yet. I'm assuming no lyrics on the inner sleeve.

In Street Song, what the hell is Pete singing under Roger when he sings "Fire is burning/can't get out."?

24. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

As neither Ama*** nor jpc.de can deliver it I went to four stores and still didn't find it :cussing:

Modfather likes this.
  25. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

The same thing I think - " the fire keeps burning but you can't get out". He's singing that refrain under Daltrey's "farewell my darling/say goodbye to this world that I love" as well.

zeppo1 likes this.