"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Amazon has no vinyl

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

It takes all kinds in this crazy world, certainly musical taste & any art is subjective. To a point at least.

But knowing that, i'm still semi stunned by all the negative remarks from 'supposedly' WHO Fans. I'm sympathetic to the "it's not them without Moon & Entwistle" but even that grows tired after 41 years.

Because, we all know the circumstances, they died...nothing could or can be done. It's not as if, Entwistle was kicked out, so they could hire a guy for $750 a week, & soak up the extra Entwistle share of the loot. He died with 2 hookers & a bag of coke, the night before, opening night.

Nobody has been more careful about any new WHO Work in the studio, than Daltrey & Townshend. Only twice in nearly 20 years since the Ox died, have they gone in to do an album. Twice they also went in for a one off single...very rarely. In the 41 years since Moon died, the ( then ) surviving 3 WHO, only recorded 2 additional albums, with Kenny Jones....

So since Moon died 41 years ago...the WHO have only gone into record a new album 4 times ! In 41 years ! It's only happened because the 2 survivors happen to be the songwriter & 2 main singers.. If the survivors were Entwistle & Townshend, or any other combination besides Daltrey Townshend, they wouldn't be recording anything as the WHO...

The other anti new album reasoning, that the album is sonically unlistenable, terrible songwriting & or lyrics, or that use of melodyne or autotune has destroyed it. I think half of that is trolling to get a rise out of people, the other half might be sincere, but seriously misguided.

Was My Generation destroyed in people's eyes in 1965-66, because they heard it blasting out of a mono radio, or car stereo, with traffic noise & cars honking...NO of course not ! It's just how things were...I think people that can't stand the new album, because of mastering, mixing choices. Or whatever, either have other hidden reasons or were never gonna be a fan of the album no matter what...

Now criticism from Pacific Oc Blue or Czeskleba & others, I know is sincere & honest...for example, thinking people need to wait awhile before proclaiming WHO Is the best since Quadrophenia in 1973, or saying, without Moon & Entwistle, they're records aren't as great as they once were... I may or may not agree, but they are reasonable complaints or observations.

Even the autotune, Melodyne, Mastering, mixing critiques can be perfectly reasonable....I don't think this website has many fans here...that love hearing classic rock bands, with the vocals using autotune like an outboard vocal effects box. The way people use(d) digital delay, phaser or harmonizer, reverb, compression or whatever. This is a music forum, with probably 700 professional audio engineers, & another thousand aspiring engineers....

But to say WHO is lousy, worst Who songs ever, or the mastering makes the album unlistenable...crazy talk !!!! Or autotune has ruined everything !!! Crazy talk !!

I personally really enjoy the first 3 studio albums & related singles 1964-68, probably the most of any WHO recordings....not because of the mastering ! Or Production !!! Kit Lambert is arguably the least qualified record producer in history ! Thank God the WHO had people like Glyn Johns & Bob Pridden there even in the 60s....Kit Lambert had a lot of interesting ideas, for visual images, publicity, incorporating Opera or classical music into rock....But those are just ideas, Lambert had no practical experience whatsoever, recording, arranging, producing a rock band, & boy does it show ! Lambert was a hopeless alcoholic, drug addict, apparently quite the embezzele, along with Terence Stamp's brother Chris... So I think it wasvthe songs, band & visuals I liked, not the mastering or producer.

I Dig this album a lot, I find the majority of it sounds very WHO like with Just Pete & Roger, & their current team of sidemen, producers etc

3. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

I picked up two of three cd’s my local Target had available tonight. Gave one to my buddy who introduced me to The Who many moons ago with Live at Leeds. None of the other Targets within the 100 mile range had any listed in stock so I guess I lucked out.

Herman Schultz and Modfather like this.
  4. JRSIV

JRSIV JRSIV Music Ltd.

@Shoeshine Since this is the Steve Hoffman forum there are quite a lot of members here who are either musicians themselves, have experience with audio engineering or are HiFi audiophiles (I'd count myself among the first two categories). So it's possible they're listening with a much more critical ear; I didn't say better ear, but possibly a more analytical one.

The recording tech program I went through wasn't Juilliard or Berklee but it's a well respected program here in Vegas. For the normal syllabus studies and ProTools certification, I listened to so much over the course of about 3 years all with a very critical mindset. Yes, I used to listen in similar way as a teen just learning guitar and picking up parts off of records, but the stuff later was on another level.

It is very hard for me to just sit and "hear" music and enjoy it for it's own sake. I always begin "listening" very close and surveying the sound. Eventually I can let the elements mesh and just dig the music but especially when it's something I have never heard before I go deep.

I realize that the metallic "AutoTune sheen" may not be perceptible or bothersome to a lot of people. One excuse for it's continued use is that the past two generations grew up with that sound and it's ingrained in them. I was born in 1975, has some vinyl as a kid, then cassettes, then CD & Mini-Disc into digital files both lossy and lossless. That range of delivery formats sound quite different from one another and perhaps influenced my personal perception of changes and anomalies.

JimSpark, gsmile, Sandinista and 5 others like this.
  5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I am for stubbornness sake holding out for "must hear real cd out my real stereo" instead of just streaming out my laptop. And suffering from the cheapness of holding out for my ticket freebie---which has been "shipped" for awhile---because it hasn't arrived yet! Some day I'll have a real opinion to express.

And does anyone know if that 85K US sales figure includes the ticket freebies? If so, I should imagine that accounts for MOST of them.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That’s the sense I got from the first five tracks.
    I'm pretty sure I hear it on "Hero Ground Zero." It's fairly judicious use though.

I find the sound of this album to be slightly claustrophobic. Maybe too much compression.

I like the album so far though. I''m up to "Street Song."

JRSIV and Jet Age Eric like this.
  7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Just got shipping notice for Who Indie Exclusive Deluxe 2 LP edition from Amoeba and 15% coupon applied. :agree:

wavethatflag and J_D__ like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Ordered a CD off eBay today. I'm a Who fan going back many decades so I'm looking forward to listening to this.

Weirwolfe and Fullbug like this.
  9. davers

davers Forum Resident

Based on the show I saw in October, Pete's still got it as well. His vocals were clear as a bell on a couple of key parts - meaning he doesn't necessarily have to shout sing.

10. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Popped into Newcastle (UK) and both Reflex and Windows had no Black Vinyl only Picture discs.
    Apparently they didn't get any on release day either. Still hopeful I can get a copy by Xmas.

11. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

The lyrics on “This Gun Will Misfire” are interesting and really cool.

Grassy Sound, MarkTWIC and Fullbug like this.
  12. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I’m glad somebody else noticed the similarities between “Love Is Coming Down” and much of this album.

Jet Age Eric and beatleswho like this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

To be honest, so far the album that WHO reminds me of most in regards to songwriting is Who Are You. Lots of similar key changes and chord progressions.

14. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Nice post sir. You make interesting points.

JRSIV likes this.
  15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That's fantastic. Who Are You is a great album start to finish.

WhoTapes1 and xj32 like this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yes, I probably listen to WAY more often than other Who albums. I feel like I can't listen to Quadrophenia without hearing the whole thing, same with Tommy. Who Are You became the album most used for me to get my quick Who fix.

17. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

The Who on Twitter

Probably not of huge relevance to our American cousins, but for the Brits there's a prize draw for a trip to see the band in Las Vegas, for albums bought via the official website. Existing purchases are already entered.

Modfather and Fullbug like this.
  18. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Johnny, i think this album is a masterpiece. WHO have the best Roger Daltrey since 1978? Not because he is in tune or he sounds younger, is because he’s an interpreter and he does his job better than ever since 1978. The songs are amazing, but they need time! Many people listen to the album just once and in a rush they say that the album is crap. That’s not how music works. I remember my first time with the White Album by The Beatles and i hate it. I tooks me months to get it and now is one of my favorite albums ever. WHO is a grower. In respect of the autotune, here is used with class as a vocal effect. Not to get Roger in tune. Is The Who searching new ways As it happened with vocoder in Quadrophenia or the effect in Dirty Jobs. Is just a sound and is well used. Is The who of vintage and the Who new modern tricks. I absolutely agree with you. This album is fantastic but there’s a bullying thing with The Who in this forum. I don’t know why. For me they are the best rock band ever.

19. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

people that just want to be noticed...it goes on all over...

20. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Not everyone is going to like it. Some will even hate it, that's fine - otherwise the whole world would like the same music.

All I ask of anyone is that they say why, either way. One line dismissals or approvals are just a bit dull.

davers, Herman Schultz and Bomber1 like this.
  21. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Incredible.

So I need to NOT critique something that I've paid for? Who do you think you are?

The set has lyrics - The Who / Trinifold just chose not to include them (wrongly in my opinion).

Is it not The Who's product and, therefore, the responsibility of the organisation to ensure that the product people are spending their hard-erned on is as perfect as it is possible to make? Surely, knowing that UMG Japan were going to include a lyric transalation, it was the responsbility of Trinifold to provide them with a copy of the lyrics in the source language for them to then transalate?

If UMG relied solely on listening, then they're going to have a heck of a job deciphering a huge portion of what is being sung.......

The lack of lyrics, and the lack of Roger's signature on the UK Exclusive Deluxe are the only major faults I have with the product I purchased for what it's worth.

czeskleba likes this.
  22. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I'm not sure about that you know. I don't think the artists have a great deal of say over what the record companies do - we hear that fairly often when something comes out the artist isn't happy with. For all we know they had no desire to include a libretto with the album. After all, it's not too common historically that they have done.

I guess you're right that they could have, but I rather suspect they have virtually no input in what goes out. After all, it was the record company that delayed the release, the Who had zero say in that.

Bomber1 likes this.
  23. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Very true....

24. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Just not true, all artists of the Who's stature have artistic control.
    All artists managed by Bill Curbishley are going to be getting what they want at the label.
    The record company will be making suggestions, and the artist may have gone with them, but none of this has happened without the band's consent.
    Interesting article on the making of the album here by the way

Who Are You? The Who's A&R Richard O'Donovan on the band's first album in 13 years

25. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

UMG put 1 MIL down on the record.. you sure about that?

Jet Age Eric and Herman Schultz like this.