"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Is it just me or is it almost impossible to find a standard vinyl for around 20 bucks?

Sci-Flyer, AFA and Bomber1 like this.
  2. innerturmoil

innerturmoil Forum Resident

I'm hearing:

I was young, rigged guitar
    Long hair and big car
    Not a big star
    Just be happy and go far
    Not too far, loved my town
    Loved the boys down at the local bar
    parkas and boxing boots matches we’re doing toots
    we had no cash for them
    Just passion we crashed for them
    Lost my virginity
    Dad (?) kicked the piss out of me
    Didn't care that you'd yell at me
    Then I found my dignity with you

RayS, Bomber1 and zeppo1 like this.
  3. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Thanks for this.

Listened while reading and I think you are pretty spot on.

Bomber1 likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm well aware. I'm more curious why you posted the exact same thing I posted re: sales from HDD (?) just two posts above...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  5. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I was on my way over to make the post so I did anyway... it's not a big deal...is it? They aren't selling well because of the 'bundles' they are selling well anyway. (says every chart all week)

6. mrjinks

No, it’s fine - just puzzled me. :wave:
    I‘m curious to know what the “true” sales are for this, and with bundling involved, we’re unlikely to ever know (like McCartney’s last album). Neil Young and Van Morrison only managed debut week sales of less than 10000 with their latest, and I think it would be interesting to know what Pete & Rog really sold. Obviously, the music is what really matters, but I find this stuff interesting and I know at least a few others do, too.

Just wish my personal copy of WHO would speed up its journey from the UK!

Jet Age Eric, Bomber1 and KirkK like this.
  7. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

I will say first off, I don't have the album yet (thanks Target!), but I've listened to clips and very excited by what I hear. Every track sounds like it might be something that stays on my playlist for a while. "Detour", "Beads On One String" and "Street Song" all sound very enticing.

But anyways, one thing that I think is cool about this whole project is that it, in my mind kinda scratches two itches. First obviously is the itch for new material from The Who. And from what I've heard, boy does it come through big time. While I'm not a huge Quadrophenia fan, I'd probably have to admit that it was their last truly great album, though some could make the argument for The Who By Numbers. As great as some of the songs are on Who Are You, Face Dances and It's Hard are, I don't think I'd say any of those were classic great albums. And though there are a few nice things on Endless Wire, to me it really just doesn't stand up. But this new one, from both the clips I've heard and from the opinions of people on here, really does seem to be striking a chord that nothing quite has since Quadrophenia. So for once, I think that the promotion might be truly correct: this is their best one since Quadrophenia.

Now the second thing I think this project fulfills for me is the hope that we could ever get another Pete Townshend solo project. And while some are saying that his "Age of Anxiety" project may have a solo album attached, I don't really believe that to be the case. He's even said recently (can't remember which article) is that writing for Roger basically is where it's at now and that is where people would be more likely to listen, so no more solo albums. But regardless, I felt like "I'll Be Back" and the four bonus cuts kinda provide a kinda Townshend EP to go along with the new Who stuff. Granted, "Got Nothing to Prove" and "Sand" don't totally sound fitting with the rest of the material, but regardless Pete is the artist and we know from early on in the genesis of this WHO album he conceived of both of those songs as part of the patchwork of the album, and therefore I dig it that these tracks have been issued as part of this project, albeit as bonus tracks.

Jet Age Eric, Bomber1 and Fullbug like this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I have to say I like the way the LP sounds but it is still a very loud master. Bernie Grundman did a good job though with the vinyl cutting.

I'm surprised how much Target has dropped the ball. When my Amazon preorder of the vinyl didn't look like it would ship on time I decided to preorder it for the same price from Target. Initially it wasn't supposed to arrive until this week but Friday morning got an email saying it would be delivered that day, so I was able to have the LP on release date!

Still sorry to hear those experiencing delays. It'll be worth the wait though!

Bomber1 likes this.
  9. Williambear

Williambear "X is for LA punk bands."

About 20 listens in now-- standing by my assertion that it's a slightly better overall album than Who Are You, It's Hard and Endless Wire, but not quite Face Dances. Which is amazing to me-- had much lower expectations. If That Gun Will Misfire was where I'll Be Back is, and Danny and My Ponies replaced She Rocked Me World, I'd like it even more.

Here's a track by track for me of the last five Who albums:

You Better You Bet > All This Music Must Fade > Athena > New Song > Fragments
    Don't Let Go The Coat > Had Enough > Ball And Chain > It's Your Turn > Man In A Purple Dress
    Cache Cache > Cooks County > I Don't Wanna Get Wise > Mike Post Theme > 905
    Sister Disco > The Quiet One > It's Hard > Detour > In The Ether
    Beads On One String > Music Must Change > Dangerous > Black Widow's Eyes > Did You Steal My Money
    Eminence Front > Hero Ground Zero > How Can You Do It Alone > Trick Of The Light > Two Thousand Years
    Daily Records > Guitar And Pen > Street Song > I've Known No War > God Speaks Of Marty Robbins
    It's Not Enough > You > Love Is Coming Down > I'll Be Back > One Life's Enough
    Who Are You > Another Tricky Day > Break The News > You Stand By Me > One At A Time
    Rockin' In Rage > Wire And Glass > Why Did I Fall For That
    Tea And Theatre > A Man Is A Man > She Rocked My World
    Cry If You Want > Bonus Tracks (I like all three, but I love Cry If You Want).

Now THAT's a music nerd post right there!

The MEZ, DiBosco, Zack and 2 others like this.
  10. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I was told they would be shipping tonight..tomorrow.. check your accounts. They did blow it though.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Target had vinyl to order online? I don't see any on the site now.

How much was it?

Bomber1 likes this.
  12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Most have shipped. Is it the Who store or other? I have been following HDD for years... They do make mistakes though. Billboards last chart has a number of differences from HDD last week. HDD also missed their own projection on #1 by 10K units last week.(Frozen 2) So there could be error. I find this end of things interesting as well. I would HATE to lose to an artist that only sold 2K physical product!! Streams.. ugh. I have to say. that with strong pre-orders on site- Target- strong iTunes and Amazon.. plus bundling...AND Xmas! I was expecting 120K. I don't know how I missed by so much. Unless they aren't counting the late Target ships that are just now charging.. (opt in?) Idk..... will be interesting!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    The MEZ and mrjinks like this.
  13. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Don't remember but Barnes and Noble at $22 is the best I have seen. ps- Walmart gave in and carried WHO

zeppo1 likes this.
  14. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

My triple vinyl arrived yesterday but the sleeve is badly split at the top. I'm sending it back. :mad:

15. mrjinks

I was going to buy a Target copy, but when I heard (quite belatedly) about the Townshend-signed copies, I decided to make an eBay flipper happy. More than I wanted to spend, but I love the idea of having a signed copy. Plus the UK deluxe versions look quite cool to me.

Bomber1 likes this.
  16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I think PT is on record saying that this performance is what made him want to make a new album (EW)

Herman Schultz, Shoeshine and Bomber1 like this.
  17. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

They are cool. Good choice.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Funny enough, I've been listening to this constantly, but when I'm not, Endless Wire melodies are floating through my head. Go figure.

19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Not that chart positions matter, but if the mess at Target ends up costing them a #1 album, that would be sad...

20. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

It might be a bit hard to appreciate across the pond what a seminal, gut wrenching disaster the Grenfell fire was in the UK. It's still very much in public consciousness here, meaning for a British listener in particular those lyrics are extremely, extraordinarily upsetting and powerful. I've played it to a few friends, saying what it's about, and when it gets to those lines, without exception the reaction is "oh my God" and an emotional response.

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Hey it's a good album. If this had been released in the 70s it would have been a smash - bigger than'.. by Numbers,and 'Who are You', imho. I hope it will be smash anyway , in spite of the day and age.

22. stem

stem Forum Resident

Did you have a chance to give it a listen ?
    I am wondering about sound quality of the triple vinyl.
    Has anybody else heard it ?

Bomber1 and Bill like this.
  23. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Face Dances weak? :eek: I reckon of all albums by the Who, I've only played Who's Next more. I miss Keith's playing on it, but the songs are really good.

cageyc, davers, Zack and 4 others like this.
  24. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Pity! I was expecting they'd honour the order I made and which went through as paid, even though my address was given as in Japan. Instead, they cancelled it just now. :cry:

Still, a signed copy of the Deluxe CD is on it's way to a relative's address in the UK, :agree: so I'll just have to wait for that to be delivered, then wait for my relative to ship it here. :waiting:

Here's the message I just got:

Delivery 1 has been cancelled

Order No. C4400913 — Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:18:04 PM

Delivery 1 of your order has been cancelled because you have requested us to cancel the item(s) [you better bet I did no such thing], or we have cancelled them on your behalf to release available items [hmm, grits teeth, bears it].

Cancelled Item(s):
    1 x WHO SIGNED Softpack CD
    If you have already been charged we will issue a refund to you straight away which you should see on your next bank statement.

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Nope. I left it sealed up.