"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

First listen this morning, i like it!
    popped it onto a TDK SA 90

[​IMG]

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Is it auto tune or Melodyne?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Anyone played the picture disc? Got one coming from the acoustic gig ticket thing; wondered how bad it sounds...

4. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Yes at first it sold out on the instant the clock turned to 11.30 today. However odd tickets kept becoming available (I guess as they got released from people's baskets) so persistence was my friend and I managed to get some. An easy website to use but no Captcha checks etc so I am sure bots would have bought plenty.

5. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

So happy right now!! I am going to see them with my Dad on the 12th of February in Kingston!! Managed to get tickets with multiple windows opened secretively at work, well worth the risk. :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

6. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Will that put them over Rod? Fingers crossed! (I still love you, Rod)

7. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I equate it to 'Pollinator' by Blondie and 'All You Need Is Now' by Duran Duran; very strong late-period albums by legacy artists, that, unfortunately, will remain unheard beyond their hard-core fans.

8. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Perhaps it's already been noted, but Street Song is about the Grenfell Tower fire.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

As to sales, historic significance and sustained popularity The Who are in an entirely different universe than Blondie and Duran Duran. Both great bands, but The Who are one of those groups like The Beatles and Stones that keep getting discovered by new younger generations of fans. Not that The is not truth in your statement that this will not be the go to album new fans in decades to come.

It’s still their best album since Who Are You. :)

wavethatflag and Weirwolfe like this.
  10. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

If they don't get to #1, it's not from a lack of effort from the band/label, that's for sure! I was initially going to support my local indie store, having already bought the deluxe CD, triple vinyl and cassette from the Who-store (plus the SHM-CD from CDJapan), but made an exception and ordered the standard CD & vinyl from Amazon UK yesterday in hopes that it might help.

Bomber1, Eiricd and Herman Schultz like this.
  11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Quite nerve wrecking this....
    It’s been a while since I gave a toss about chart positions...

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Is it me or does worrying about chart positions seem somehow un-Who-like.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Surferghost, Who'sTommy, ARK and 3 others like this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

So what’s up with Roger’s throat now? He just had another operation.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What is Pete referring to with “we sing our street song”? It’s the title and the most frequently repeated line in the song and I’m not sure what it has to do with the fire.

15. Herman Schultz

He has to undergo a laser operation once a year. Just an in-office procedure. Those pre-cancerous polyps are never completely gone, so they have to stay on top of them.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Pete has referenced chart positions going back to his banter on Live At Leeds. Perhaps even earlier. So no, not un- Who-like to talk about the chart position of WHO. Fans are getting behind the band , hoping they get the #1 record in the USA that has eluded them. And hopefully their second #1 album in the UK.

Bomber1 and Herman Schultz like this.
  17. Herman Schultz

I'm getting the impression that all those people ringing their loved ones to say goodbye is the titular street song.

wavethatflag and Weirwolfe like this.
  18. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

"Time out of Mind" won 3 grammy awards including album of the year. It is considered right up there with Dylan's best works. Forgive me, but the new Who record is not right up there with Who's Next, Quad or Tommy. Not even close. I don't believe there is a proper later day Dylan record analogy...as Dylan's originals since and including TOOM are vastly superior to the new Who record.

I think a proper analogy would be to a later Rolling Stones record. Legacy band offering a decent later day effort, but not approaching their best work....something like Bridges to Babylon perhaps....

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This album is great, even the “adult contemporary” sounds of She Rocked My World.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  20. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The Who/Stewart battle for number 1 reminds me of the controversy (and the resulting album sales spike) back in 1966 when Ron Nasty was misquoted...

RayS and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  21. Happy Jack Sprat

Happy Jack Sprat Well-Known Member

Street Song's lyrics indicate that the voices are the cries of the dying. With the possible exception of Black Widow's Eyes, this is surely the darkest song which PT has produced as The Who.

wavethatflag and Herman Schultz like this.
  22. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Arguably, the most famous *issue* was around a chart position when "I Can See For Miles" only made #9 in the UK.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Sounds like Melodyne to me.

jlf likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

On the upside, we got a Helter Skelter of a response from Fabs- :cool:

Seriously though, to this today. Townshend often comments at live shows when a song they are playing charted.

25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I can't remember which album or song, but I think The Who were snubbed of a #1 back in the day by the smallest of margins. A few hundred copies, even less...