"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I think it was I'm A Boy

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Iirc, it was Adam and The Ants. The song was I think Athena. I 'll have to think a bit on this....

Edit, see post below.

Bomber1 likes this.
  3. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

It was Adam and the Ants beating The Who's Face Dances to #1 by a mere four copies in 1981.

Bomber1, Quadboy and reb like this.
  4. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I don't care how little anyone cares about chart positions - that hurts!! :)
    Pete's current signing crusade would have made the difference back then :)

Herman Schultz likes this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think I'm working my way to this very conclusion. I like It's Hard and Face Dances, but to me those albums were released under the specter of "Oh no, Keith is gone," and "Does Pete still want to be in the band?" In that way those aren't "happy" albums. This one is like a rebirth; a celebration. I don't miss Moon or John at all on this album.

Sure, you can say it will never be the same without the four principals together, but isn't that line getting old, cold, and annoying at this point? It certainly is for me.

If this is the band's last album, they went out with a bang.

I also disagree with the poster who said Dylan's Time Out Of Mind is equal to something like Highway 61 Revisited. Not in my world. Not that the former isn't a really good album, it is. I also disagree that WHO is somehow the equivalent of Bridges To Babylon. I don't remember Bridges being received this well at all, although I am a big "Saint Of Me" fan. I guess if you're a bigger Stones fan than a Who fan, you might think Bridges is the equivalent of WHO, or better.

Aftermath, Bomber1, xj32 and 2 others like this.
  6. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Yes, and no. Pete has been seeking validation - even a "license" from the public since he first started writing songs, and "Who am I writing for?" seems to be one of the first questions he asks when working these days. That is not primarily a "commercial" premise, but the receivers/participants are part of the format for him. This time around he wrote for Roger, and what his perception of a contemporary Who-audience would be. He also knows that Endless Wire was generally not received well by their audience. He may on one hand say that he does what he wants to do, and doesn't care what anyone thinks, but on the other hand he clearly wants the music to resonate. He is in the "travel business", as they say.

I'm sure a #1 album means more to the label than the band (bomber1 has said as much), but I'll be hard pressed not to believe that the buzz the album generates doesn't sit well with the band, and for all we know it might just inspire more Who-activity in some form or another.

There is always the "consumerist"-perspective to consider when caring or even talking about sales of any product, but the amount of records sold in 2019 is so tiny compared to even 20 years ago, that we might as well have been talking about a Fugazi or Minor Threat-record going to #1. Also given the unbelievable charity work The Who have done alone since the late 70's, buying a bundle of formats when they release their second album in 13 years should not make people feel guilty.

bato, Aftermath, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Exactly. Pete has talked about being upset over Miles' failure (relative to prior singles) on the UK chart, and how it caused him to question whether he'd lost his ability to write a hit, resulting in him going back and digging up discarded older 1964-65 songs for new singles (Magic Bus, Call Me Lightning) because he felt he'd lost the touch.

bato, DrBeatle and wavethatflag like this.
  8. wavethatflag

Bingo. In the documentary Lambert & Stamp, Pete talks extensively about reflecting back to the audience what he sees in them, physically and thematically. For instance, he talks about being on stage in the early days and seeing someone in a really sharp jacket. He bought himself the same one and wore it on stage, and before long he saw more people wearing the same jacket. (I'm not sure if that really happened, or if he was just posing a hypothetical example.)

Along the same lines, he's said that he tries to write as a Who fan, looking in from outside the band.

Anyway, to me, songs like "Ball And Chain" and "Beads On A String" put to music concerns a lot of people (the audience) are having these days.

bato, Aftermath and Devotional like this.
  9. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

The label actually because they wanted an "L" -- I agree. Not the best choice!

10. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Wont do them any good. No resales and you need an ID matching buyer to get in!

11. wavethatflag

From the Rank Speculation and Unfounded Rumors Dept.: Whatever, if anything, Keith Richards says publicly about WHO, he's listened to the album and was inspired to call Mick and say, "Have you heard this mate? Let's kick their ass with a new one!" Then, we get a great Stones studio effort next year.

Macca is also paying attention.

Is "Sand" only available on the Japanese CD?

12. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

the bonus disc on EW could and should have been so much more. I think mine is a 7 track audio disc. Others had a bit more? One edition came with a dvd from the show with about 7-8 tracks?

With so much video in the vault, at least from the last two decades - it would be a great value to throw a dvd/blu ray on as a bonus.
    Same goes for the current album. (take note, Who productions! :) )

13. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

...so, when do they stop counting sales in the UK for next week's charts - midnight?

Bomber1 likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Best Buy sold an exclusive 2cd / 1 dvd set.

And yes, I saved the hype stickers.-:D

15. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I saw the Lambert and Stamp documentary for the first time a few days ago (really prompted by this album) and I found that very point was a good on in helping me understand this album. Also liked the quote from Roger in USA Today.

"I’m glad we made this album, and I understand why it’s so important for Pete to have this out there. He doesn’t want to be thought of as a writer of old nostalgic hit records. He’s a man of today, we’re musicians of today. We’re not dead and (expletive) buried. And we’re not doing a pastiche of our music from the '60s."

For me the track that resonated the most is "I Don't Wanna Get Wise" it's obviously a bit about him and Roger, but also surely the audience too. The first four are just tremendous openers, then the album settles down a bit but with great variety. For me the three bonus tracks are integral to the album; "This Gun Will Misfire" is just terrific one of the very best songs, particularly the instrumentation; "Got Nothing to Prove" a deliberately fun nod to the past; and "Danny and My Ponies" may be a downbeat finish but it is a really touching song.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Listened to the album last night at work and again this morning at home. This is a frickin' excellent album. Roger sounds fantastic, the songs are well-written and performed with style, with some rock & roll angst weaved throughout . Pete seems to have found his inner voice AND singing voice once again. Great news. Beyond busy (as most of us are) so a song-by-song review will have to wait. Quite possibly the best album from old (said with love and affection) 60's rockers this decade. Ron

Weirwolfe, Jon H., Aftermath and 8 others like this.
  17. wavethatflag

Well put!

I said earlier in this or another thread, "If it's better than Endless Wire, it's gonna be a great Christmas," and here we are.

(Please feel free to substitute "Christmas" with "Holiday season," if need be.)

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Digital available in Japan only on CD and download.

Vinyl, 10" single bonus disc included with the double 45rpm lp.

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Greg Lake played bass on RGLB.

Herman Schultz and twicks like this.
  20. wavethatflag

But it's the only Who video I have with Roger performing in shorts!

21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

22. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I'm only a casual Who fan but this is a great record!

23. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

cs2003 likes this.
  24. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Rolling Stone This looks better... here's what a fair #1 looks like.... (streams..ridiculous!)

Jet Age Eric, cs2003 and Eiricd like this.
  25. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

On topic: Impressive they moved so many physical units.
    Off-topic: I am shocked that not 1, but three Dean Martin Christmas comps are in the Top 100!

Herman Schultz, Alan57 and Bomber1 like this.