"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  2. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I think Slip Kid was last done in 2015 or so, it and Quick One were the wildcards at the start of that pre-MOVIN ON tour, though neither lasted long in the set.

UPDATE: Mar 24, 2016, in DC according to setlist.fm.
    That set:
    The Who Setlist at Verizon Center, Washington

According to notes, it was a last minute sub for Eminence as Pete was having voice problems. It had mostly been dropped after May 2015.

Sci-Flyer and Herman Schultz like this.
  3. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

SLIP KID

PhoffiFozz and Sci-Flyer like this.
  4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes I was glad I saw one of the early shows in that 50th anniversary tour. So Sad About Us was another one I was pleased they did.

Unfortunately as the tour progressed the more interesting songs were dropped.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  5. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  6. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  7. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I like the first half of the new album more than the second half (I got the deluxe).

The auto tune gets rather grating by the end.

davers likes this.
  8. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

Now the Who album has been with me a while, I’ve realised that I love everything on it except one song that I will never like “I’ll be back”, but that’s just one song. The strike rate is exceptionally high. The auto tune doesn’t bother me at all. I think the writing is especially good. Townshend still has it after all!

The songs keep surprising me, with their twists and turns. “She rocked my world” was a song that took longer for me to really enjoy, but now I love it!

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I like the music and melody for that song but find the title embarrassing.

wavethatflag and Libertine like this.
  10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

"She Rocked My World" is one I have had some intermittent trouble with. I find it does NOT work as sort of pleasant kind of background sound, as the others do---you have to be paying close attention to it to see its merits, which exist, tho it is ultimately my least favorite on the lp and I insist a ridiculous choice as the finale, which I think should be Street Song in the Who trad of mostly epically big endings.

11. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

How “Street Song” wasn’t the final song on the Album I’ll never understand.

12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well we have a live rendition of 4 of the new songs. I really hope they offer up at least 1 or 2 more. Hopefully 3 or 4.

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The whole thing is a tad leering. I guess I don’t want to hear about the ghost of groupies past. But whatever, I’m decades out of my 20s.

Musically I like it

14. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I am pleased to say I have secured my tickets to see them at Wembley arena in April. They can play as many songs off the new album as they like that night.

I’m a bit upset I couldn’t see them this week as the venue is only a bus ride away, but the Wembley gig helps. I was just waiting until all those unavailable tickets became available again, as they do.

Herman Schultz and wavethatflag like this.
  15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Maybe they'll play a new song from Age of Anxiety!

16. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

See you there then!

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Pete should have played a banjo.

18. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. wavethatflag

On my way through WHO again. Still loving it.

My intent was to listen to All This Music Must Fade only, but that's not gonna work.

Herman Schultz and adamos like this.
  20. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I would say that Street Song is the Who's best anthem since Who Are You.

Discuss.

21. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I totally agree!

That Pete felt a need to write such a moving song about the most horrid London tragedy impresses me every time I hear it.

I really think they could close all future shows with Street Song. It’s a song that is so worthy of their legacy.

Coming from west London I think hearing that song live might be a very emotional ride.

The power of songwriting huh!

Geordiepete likes this.
  22. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

What a great record and Street Song is so moving. I never saw The Who coming with such a masterpiece!

Libertine likes this.
  23. wavethatflag

So, friends, countrymen, -women, and Who fans, back to my theory that "Hero Ground Zero" does allude to the 9/11 tragedy. At some point in the song, I heard the "klieg lights" reference, and thought, "Didn't they use those to illuminate the site?" I just googled a NYT article stating that a year after 9/11, klieg lights still bathed the site. Yes, such lights are primarily used for stage productions. But if I were a first responder, or really anyone else who was there and made it though that day, I'd say "Hero Ground Zero" is definitely about me. Pete can say whatever he wants, but no way that song doesn't reflect the event.

To me, the song can be about rock heroes fading from the stage, but it also can be about someone like a first responder who was there, suffered, and for whatever reason--lack of services, neglect--feels put out and forgotten.

Anyway, I think it's a brilliant song, probably the best one on the album in my opinion. Pete's still a genius, and he'll tell you himself. :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Herman Schultz, Dog Ear and adamos like this.
  24. wavethatflag

It's so hard for me to compare songs across decades, but if I just evaluate the two songs as songs and nothing more, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. But what's an "anthem" exactly? Yeah, I'm being difficult.

I almost can't believe this album happened. My favorite of 2019 by far.

Herman Schultz and Shoeshine like this.
  25. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Well, it was intended to be a mildly provocative comment... ;) On that basis, I don't think I should define it - it means what people take it to mean I suppose.