"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I only bought one at the time, not sure why. I just bought two more. There’s two, one with a green cover and one with yellow, that I can’t find anywhere at the moment. But I bet they pop up eventually.

The best thing I did collecting wise, or one of them anyway, is picking up his Lifehouse chronicles set.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I remember liking Pete's "Gateway Remix" version of Who Are You that ended up on the Lifehouse Chronicles/Elements album. I think it even came out as Best Buy exclusive free CD single.

Is that the one with the rap? It's been so long long since I've heard it.

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's been a while since I have played my Lifehouse box (apart from the demos), but yes I think you are right.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Yes, part of the rap is in there. It's a very cool remix.

5. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

On the site of a Dutch record store, there is mention of a "Deluxe Edition" of "WHO", including a bonus disc "Live at Kingston". The release is supposed to be on October 30. The Who played shows on 12 and 14 February 2020 at the PRYZM in Kingston.

Who | Who -deluxe- | 2 CD | 0602435129433 | Sounds Delft

slipkid, dee, Elliottmarx and 2 others like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Interesting. I don't like the album enough to acquire a second copy for some live tracks, unless there are interesting inclusions beyond the typical warhorses (i.e. Substitute, I Can't Explain, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You).

slipkid and All Down The Line like this.
  7. Who'sTommy

The Kingston shows were acoustic, and included "Tattoo", "She Rocked My World", "Squeeze Box", "Break The News", among others.

slipkid, dee, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

Interesting. I would rather see an exclusive release of the live material than have it tacked on to a new edition of WHO, which most deep fans already acquired. Why coerce the fan-base into buying WHO all over again just for some live tracks? Clearly to give a boost to the sales of WHO, but it is a low move by the band.

slipkid, Hep Alien, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  9. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

My favorite track is Street Song.
    Detour and All This Music Must Fade are top shelf Who songs as well.

This is the best Who album in 40 years. An unexpected triumph. These guys seem to be at peace and you can feel it in the music. As an old guy I really really love I’ll Be Back the sentiment is uplifting.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  10. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

You can probably purchase the tracks individually digitally, or stream them. Personally I’d love to see this released. I’ve sent clips from the shows on YouTube and the banter between the band and the audience was a real highlight of the sets, I hope they keep that in any official release.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Well, Pete certainly had a burst of inspiration. Roger seemed reluctant to record the album, and even recently said he wasn't happy with it.

DrBeatle, No Bull and beatleswho like this.
  12. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Based on the tepid-to-non-exist promotion, I sure got the sense that someone didn't love the album.

No videos.
    No interviews after it was released.
    No talk show performances.

The album came out December of last year - so lock down had nothing to do with a lack of a promotional push.
    I don't really buy the Daltrey had to have surgery story much either.

13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I cannot imagine why Roger was unhappy with this effort...

Herman Schultz likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Well , to be fair, the 2019 tour was supposed to coincide with the album release as a promotional tool. The recording process got delayed, partially because of Roger, and the tour went forward on schedule. By the time the album was released, the tour dates were near completion. And once the 2020 shows were postponed/cancelled, all potential promotional tie-ins were done.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    No Bull and Elliottmarx like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

Based on what he recently said, the finished recordings turned out to be significant departures from the demos, which he apparently did not like (he liked the demos, not the finished masters). Plus, he revealed the fact that he and Pete had the finance it, which seemed to agitate him.

slipkid, DrBeatle, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  16. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

This is new information to me.
    I am a massive Who fan, and love the new album.
    I probably appear like a troll in this thread, and I hope that isn't true.
    But since the very beginning, this project has been so strange and unprofessionally discussed, that I am so very fascinated by what really happened.
    It has, to me, become one of those really unclear rock stories.

From Townshend announcing it in a Rolling Stone interview.
    Then Daltrey "couldn't hear" the demos because of a cold or something. He sent out unapproving vibes.
    Then, when he could hear them, he loved them but felt they would be better served as a Townshend solo album.
    What's next? Townshend's super unprofessional recording studio vlogs which he quickly bored of.
    By the time we get to the ridiculous sitting-on-a-scooter photos from the strange Wembley press conference, it was clear that there was no vision at all.
    The Wembley show itself was huge, and all we got were lousy audience phone clips - they didn't bother producing a video. Astonishing.

Album is finished. Some hype. Some advanced singles. Some interviews.
    Album is released - nothing. Absolutely nothing. An acoustic gig on a NYC rooftop. and Two acoustic gigs in London. Barely promoted.

Very bizarre. Very, very inept.

Artistically Townshend and Daltrey succeed at a very high level with Who.

But as far as a 'campaign' to brand and market the album - there was absolutely nothing.
    If we are learning that this thing was self-produced, then I guess they got cold feet when they
    saw what a marketing campaign in 2019 costs. Like I said, this is one of rock's new mysterious.

No Bull, DrBeatle, unclefred and 3 others like this.
  17. Herman Schultz

The only negative statement from Roger post release that I recall is him saying that the bonus cuts on the deluxe edition angered him. He said something like, "They're not The Who." As for the album proper, he said that he thinks it's their best since Quadrophenia. I'd say it's their best since Endless Wire, but I'm a huge fan of Endless Wire, so that's no dis.

18. Herman Schultz

Do you recall where you heard/read this?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

It was from a 2020 interview, posted in the past couple of months, perhaps in the thread relating to the concert footage the band is presenting on youtube.

20. Who'sTommy

The Who's PR has always been a laugh. It could have been so much better. Have a look at their merchandise online, it's silly really. This album deserved a better PR campaign.
    Because it's awesome. And then Roger starts to piss over the album, he didn't like the producer, he didn't like the bonus tracks - he starts to sound like a grumpy old man who's living in the past.
    A new WHO album that's actually great - and yet so much negativity and missed opportunities around it. It's a pity.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes, I think this was from the Roger interview that I posted on the YouTube concert thread.

He indicated that he was not happy with the production of the album. He was also ambivalent about the prospect of a new album (even though Pete was using the lockdown to write a new album). As you say, he had to help finance it.

22. PacificOceanBlue

What is so strange about Roger's reaction to the album is that for years he campaigned to record and release new music as The Who. And when Pete suddenly wanted to create a new project at the end of 2018, Roger was lukewarm to the idea and almost had to have his arm twisted to do it. And then when the session work was up and running, he didn't seem to be fully engaged, and was partially responsible for the ongoing delays, which ultimately played a role in not having new product available to coincide with the 2019 tour.

23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

You would think with the critical and commercial success of Who that everyone involved (including Rog and the label) would be enthusiastic about Pete wanting to do a follow-up.

No Bull, dee, Elliottmarx and 5 others like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

It seems like WHO is probably the final chapter in the band's recording history, at least with respect to new material. Pete expressed signs of interest in recording on a handful of occasions after Endless Wire, but nothing substantial ever got off the ground until last year. These guys are getting older, and likely do not have another 14 years between projects to procrastinate.

No Bull, DrBeatle and Elliottmarx like this.
  25. Who'sTommy

Pete has already been writing new material, during the lockdown. He wants to record another album. It would be a pity if those plans fell through, because of Roger.

dee, Elliottmarx, The MEZ and 2 others like this.