"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Loses half a point for Goin' Mobile ...

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  2. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Oh I've no idea. Was merely a question/observation.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That’s my favorite song on the album. The synth guitar solo is unbelievable.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

At the risk of perpetuating the OT discussion, I'd say it's 75% of what I want in a Who song. It (along with Cry If You Want) are the two songs on the record where I really miss Keith Moon. Kenney's stiff, martial drumming on Cry If You Want is a terrible choice for that type of song, and I can only dream of what a peak-era Moon would have done with a song like that, and how it would have made a really good song into an all-time classic. I've Known No War meanwhile has that section in the middle where literally nothing changes from 3:20 to 4:30 or so. It almost sounds like there's a scratch and the record is just playing the same thing over and over again. I don't think Keith would have been able to resist doing something creative in there to relieve the monotony. It almost sounds like a demo where space was left to overdub something later, and they never got around to doing it.

mw1917, Clarkophile, izgoblin and 3 others like this.
  5. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Pete did make a comment last night at the Hollywood Bowl while introducing Zak that Ringo was at the show.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Great pic of the pair.

7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Thank God you made this post Czeskleba ! I would've thought it's evident to any forum veteran here, that as you said. With only 2 songs released so far. It's difficult to not stray off a bit, trying to keep the conversation going, until we get more songs or 30 sec clips, or more detailed credits, info on the bonus tracks etc.

Richard Evans, is the webmaster at the official WHO, as well as the art-graphics designer for a number of WHO albums, & other famous albums. Point being, he's in a position to know if Ringo played on 3 of the new WHO tracks, credited or uncredited. Perhaps when we hear more of the new songs, we'll hear some tunes that appear to have dual drummers...but I'd also point out, the tracks originate with Townshend's demos & drum machine, so it's possible Ringo would've only played certain portions of a pastiche or 'assembled-overdubbed' drum part. Anyway we don't know if Richard Evan's was kidding or not. I asked him, but he didn't respond.

I do believe, I could be wrong, But I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed, the 3 bonus tracks are from the new album sessions. As opposed to old demos like Sand, which itself is a 4th & seperate bonus track of a 65-66 home demo. Maybe Ringo & Zak do father & son dual drummers! Naw..

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it’s not that mysterious that Ringo went to see the band his son plays drums for?

9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

... or IS it?!

;) -E

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  10. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Well, of course! "Won't Get Fooled Again" does the same.

11. Herman Schultz

I don't know. I think the production on Endless Wire is part of its charm, like Exile on Main St.

12. Herman Schultz

No, all it's saying is that it's superior to By Numbers, Who Are You, Face Dances, It's Hard, and Endless Wire, and pointedly not as good as Quadrophenia. Personally, I do think it's possible that WHO will be the best thing Pete and Roger have done together since Quadrophenia. We shall see.

Detroit Music Fan and Shoeshine like this.
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I've heard a lot of people say that but I really like it. It's a cool device to build tension leading up to the strings and Roger's re-entry. It takes a lot of guts to do that, kind of like Pink Floyd's neverending Shine On intro.

14. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I hear it. I love that song and I like It’s Hard in general.

I accept that The Who, as a dynamic force, was simply unsustainable in their original incarnation - even if the line up never changed. So I while I prefer the 70s Who, I can appreciate most of what came after as I respect Pete as a writer and performer and have always loved Roger - one of my favorite rock voices. And for whatever Pete’s mood of the moment is, Roger has always been all in for The Who.

I DO get a wistful, my god, what if Keith were here to unleash his holy hell on both Music Must Fade as well as I’ve Known No War - although to be fair, I think the latter is one spot where Kenney’s locked in beat works very well.

If the latest single is a fair indicator, I think I will probably enjoy the new album.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To me it builds monotony rather than tension. It's hard not to contrast it to WGFA, where the long instrumental break is varied (both the keyboard part and what Keith does with the drums) yet subtle and does create a building tension which is then relieved in spades when Roger comes back in with his scream. Knowing the speed at which the songs for It's Hard were written and recorded, it's hard not to conclude that the break in I've Known No War was simply something where they didn't put in the time to develop the song.

Clarkophile and Ryan Lux like this.
  16. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm really excited for the new album. As much as I love the original band, I can find pleasure in the 3 post Moon albums. There is just something special when Pete and Roger team up, that's just me though. I listen to Endless Wire without being forced!

Only thing I noticed is Amazon has the album coming out in December, maybe they have it wrong.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  17. Herman Schultz

The release has been pushed back to December 6.

ccbarr likes this.
  18. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up, the waiting is the hardest part.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes we shall. I am optimistic that it will be a good album, but there is a lot of first-rate material and performances on By Numbers and Who Are You, as well as Face Dances and It's Hard, so I am skeptical that it will be better than those albums (even the initial two post-Moon albums, which both had their moments). By Numbers is a top-tier album and I think it is highly unlikely that anything Pete and Roger do in 2019 will surpass it.

20. Herman Schultz

Well, I think Endless Wire already surpassed By Numbers, and I love By Numbers even more than I love Who's Next. :)

Blaklazer likes this.
  21. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Interesting, that's also the anniversary of the 1973 Largo, Maryland show. Maybe will finally get a release on that one too. ;)

[​IMG]

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Every listing that specifies Deluxe CD will be the 14 track version.

Note that the site has a seperate item number for Deluxe CD and Standard CD.

The triple lp will include the PT demo sand.
    The Who - Official Store

Edit:

Here is a link to customer support.

You can ask them if the bundle will include the Deluxe CD with bonus tracks

The Who - Official Store

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Misterioso , hmm sounds familiar-;)

24. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I find it hard to even compare. I mean, 37 year old Pete and Roger is so different to 75 year old Pete and Roger that I'm not sure direct comparisons even mean much. Especially with the change in the world, music, recording, you name it.

All we can hope for is that WHO is a good album. The initial reviews says it is. Comparing to the old Who, hell how do you even start?

25. Blaklazer

Blaklazer Forum Resident

Me too, EW is my 2nd favorite official who album right behind quadrophenia. I think by numbers has great songs on it but similar to my gen, and aqo, i dont often visit it.

i honetly think the new album will make top 5 for me. I loved the work Pete and Roger did on alaihy