"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I'm really surprised by this.

I guess this album is Endless Wire Pt2

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Exactly!

Definitely not what was indicated by the vlogs at all

johnny moondog 909 and Odysseus like this.
  3. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

If anything the vlogs that Pete posted made the recording of the album seem like a tightly run ship being operated at maximum efficiency.

I'm pretty sure that the vlogs showed that (nearly) all the instrumentation for the backing tracks was done in only three days with no real lounging around or tomfoolery.

oneway23 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As I said upthread, I'm not as enamored of Zack as many fans are. He's certainly not the second coming of Keith, and his presence isn't what will make or break this album. It will primarily come down to the quality of the songwriting, and based on the tracks we've heard so far, it seems notably better than what we heard on Endless Wire.

izgoblin, DrBeatle, Shoeshine and 2 others like this.
  5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I (apparently) naively assumed that all that was left after the vlogs was to have Rog do two-three weeks of vocals at his home studio. They made it seem that the basic tracks (at least) were all but done n' dusted.

Odysseus likes this.
  6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Precisely.

7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I'm not implying anything of the sort. I just think he's put in the years and earned the right to drum on the entirety of what will likely be their final statement.

Davido likes this.
  8. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

There were some very strong songs on EW, but there were also some very weak songs as well.

I've always felt that the main problem with EW (other than John's death) was that it wasn't a focused endeavor. The Wire & Glass 'mini opera' felt unfocused and out of place with the rest of the album, and there were several songs on the first half that felt more like songs that Pete just had lying around over the decades (I'm sure he'll claim most of them were written for Lifehouse like he almost always does) instead of actual songs written/recorded specifically for The Who.

izgoblin, DrBeatle, Shoeshine and 3 others like this.
  9. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

It is a shame that Zak won't be playing on the whole project. I think we should all be positive though as what we have heard is indefinitely better than the tracks from Endless Wire.

J_D__, MPLRecords, Bomber1 and 2 others like this.
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Earlier in the thread,. We were discussing a report, that Daltrey recorded all his vocals in one session.

oneway23 and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, it was his choice not to do it. It's not like he wanted to and Pete said no.

12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

This is NOT Endless Wire. Each song is crafted and every musician is perfect for each track. You'll see.

I Don’t Wanna Get Wise is next single. Yep. an app has a sample Music Walk of Fame app.? whatever that is

13. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Final? noooooooo

oneway23 likes this.
  14. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

I just did this. (went to Google Play on my phone, searched Music Walk of Fame app, downloaded it and went to "Who Preview")

It's only like a ten second sample.

But it sounds excellent. Roger sounds killer.

I might be hitting @johnny moondog 909 levels of anticipation.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

It's the Age of Anticipation!

16. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

^The man in the brown jacket (Roger is seen shaking his hand) is John's Son , Chris Entwistle.

18. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Not possible. :unhunh:

19. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well what kind of song is it ? Rock ? Ballad ? Fast or slow, whats it like ??? Cmon

beatleswho likes this.
  20. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Sounds like a winding up to a great rocker. Pete backgrounds w/ Roger in great form ("WE GOT WISE!!")

21. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Didn't he mention that he was going to record some songs with just Pino and Zak or something? Like potentially solo stuff?

22. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Cool to see him there and so friendly with them. He kind of looks like a stockier version of his father.

23. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Not that I saw or recall seeing.

24. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I hear it too. Sounds like a soft rocker in minor tone. Pete voice with autotune repeting I Don’t Wanna Get Wise and Roger answering We Got Wise. There’s a cool drum fill that reminds me to Quadrophenia. The guitar in the back is in a marching rhythm, like in Dirty Jobs chorus. There’s a synth layer i think in the back too, not sure. Seems interesting, but I’m not a big fun of the autotune effect. Maybe i need to get use to it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  25. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

What is Pete's explanation for all the studio drummers?