"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

If they're doing red polydor cassettes......will there be a red polydor cd?

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Care to elaborate?

3. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Keith Moon wasn't available. :p

4. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Zak got bored with how long the recording was taking, so he went to Jamaica to record with someone else. It's not like Dave Sardy and Pete Townshend kicked him out. He left on his own. I imagine if he'd been more patient, he would be drumming on more tracks.

J_D__, Jet Age Eric and oneway23 like this.
  5. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Ultimately, he had the offer to be a member, and chose not to be. He prefers being a hired hand, and fair enough too, it's completely up to him. As someone who is a freelancer, I more than get that wish not to be tied down to anyone.

But while I think he makes a big difference to the live band, I just can't get so exercised about it on the album. The Who is Pete and Roger, but the unified (or otherwise) sound on the album is a matter for the production rather than the additional personnel. Take something like Empty Glass - loads of different musicians, but the album had a cohesive whole that mattered far more. If they get it right on this one, I suspect the people playing on it will be a minor issue.

6. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Makes sense to me, too.

That's exactly how I feel about it, too. Thanks for putting it so well.

Bomber1 and Shoeshine like this.
  7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks Herman & Shoeshine for the knowledge!

Bomber1, Shoeshine and Herman Schultz like this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Pete’s solo album is finished. May be released next year.

9. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

YOU KNOW THIS FOR A FACT ?? Cause that would be something...Anyway

Can't find the Get Wise clip, & i'm not real keen on downloading yet more google apps...from the description , I tried not to cringe at the thought of autotune, used as a vocal effect, the way we used to use phaser or delay or effects that sound good.. there was some of that on the Music Must Fade, on Townshend's parts...Only Because It's The WHO I got past it in 2-3 listens....Townshend did say back in Feb-March that parts of the album, would have experimental & contemporary elements, so anyway can't find it....I read about 4 blogs & press blurbs saying it's lyrically the sequel or new My Generation....but from the descriptions I don't see any musical connection at all....I'm hearing the tempo is slower ? & that much like Be Lucky & Music Must Fade, the new one has a belting snarling Daltrey vocal, & a lot of Townshend answer vocals & 2nd lead/harmony vocals.

beatleswho likes this.
  10. Blaklazer

Blaklazer Forum Resident

What is interesting is that he has a few ideas for an Age of Anxiety sequel. He has teased for the past few years (and again on instagram earlier this month) of another scoop series. If the who album does well maybe we will have a hurried sequel too?

J_D__ likes this.
  11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

For those that know, is this in the can Pete album supposed to be basically an AGE OF ANXIETY concept lp, or just random songs?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Pete has also teased a possible Scoop installment for late 2020 or 2021.

dee, Odysseus, J_D__ and 1 other person like this.
  13. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Johnny, I’ve been listening the 10 seconds preview various times. I thing the connection with My Generation is not so much in the music but more on the lyrics. An old man that not want to get wise as gets older. He prefers to stay young. About the autotune (an effect that I’m not fan of) is well used, like those “my my my my ge ge generation” from The Punk and The Godfather”. It build something interesting. The guitar chords make various descending chords with that marching rhythmic. Daltrey sound very solid. Seems like an interesting song, sounds fresh and new. They are not recycling their music. They are making new music.

14. johnny moondog 909

Ok ! Can't wait to hear it !

15. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I think it's supposed to be a concept album. It's the same project as the Floss rock opera he was talking about about 10 years ago.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I know the question's been answered, but here's the exact quotation from Zak:
    "I'm not on much of the new Who album. I was waiting around for the sessions to start, but nothing was happening, so I ****ed off to Jamaica. I've been recording with Toots And The Maytals."

ARK and Herman Schultz like this.
  17. johnny moondog 909

Clearly is a heavily conceptualized work & album. Townshend spoke at great length about it over the years. Some of the concepts have und ou btedly changed in the decade he's been talking about it. What's most interesting to me, is the assertion it's fully recorded. Townshend alluded to that, during the period of the WHO album vlogs last Feb-March

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Exactly. With the exception of Face Dances and It's Hard, every album Pete has recorded since Keith died has featured multiple drummers (and usually multiple bassists as well). He clearly doesn't like being tied to one rhythm section. At this point, Daltrey and Townshend are the Who. The presence or absence of anyone else doesn't make it more or less the Who.

ARK, Herman Schultz, Bomber1 and 3 others like this.
  19. johnny moondog 909

With all due respect Czeskleba, this new album is a WHO project Not a solo Townshend album. Some of us....have a different belief than you might have, namely..

In an unspoken & 'sensitive' type of way
    ...because both Moon & Entwistle died so prematurely....in all but name Zak is a band member in The WHO..not necessarily a full equal member...more a junior member...but member nontheless.

It's a subjective question & partially semantics....Zak is Moon's god son, playing live in the WHO for what 23 years ? Some 9-10 years longer than Moon did....somewhat -'somewhat' like when Bonham's son played in Zeppelin...there aren't a lot of similar examples....

The train of thought goes something like this.....YES the original WHO is gone, & to their credit...Townshend & Daltrey haven't simply gotten a drummer & bass player to 'Ape' a WHO style rhythm section....but rather have continued through the musical & personal loss..

BUT speaking both musically & to ( some ) extent personally, The WHO sound, is a group sound....& it needs rock drumming on most songs.....& it is very sensitive, because Keith Moon was a unique drummer & personality. But a widely held belief, by me & many others, is having a drummer as part of the band, lends itself to any new songs they record..because regardless of anything else, The WHO are a rock band, & having Zak as the actual or defacto drummer in the band...is about as good as they could hope to get...It does affect the sound...& his zany positive vibe during the first sessions shows & is felt & heard on some, perhaps more esoteric level.....the interaction of 3 musicians band members, instead of just 2.

Beyond all that, YES Pete Townshend is the big wheel in The WHO. He writes the tunes, does scads of preproduction arranging & recording, conceptualization, sings nearly as much as Roger, with all his package backround vocals, 2nd lead vocals etc, & of course his guitars..

But it's a WHO album & many believe Zak drumming most or all of it, Roger's unique voice are important too. & just as a rule of thumb, bandlike is something you expect out of a WHO record....certainly visually a picture of 3-4 guys looks more like a rock band than just 2...& having zany Zak, younger, daffy, as the 3rd guy, makes it look & sound more bandlike imo.

Having said all that, it's gonna be great ! Anyway...And as Bomber pointed out...Dave Sardy & Pete Townshend, produced every song in a meticulous & individual way...deliberately choosing different drummers, & overdubs, like orchestra or harmonica or ( on 1 song ) Bentmont Tench. Zak may end up on 7 out of 14 tracks, in spite of our big discussion ! & of the remaining 7, I'd wager there are likely 1 or 2 that aren't rock drum oriented...either a nearly drumless ballad, or something suited to artificial drums...and they probably got a few songs, that Zak couldn't have done what the other guys got on tape.

ANYWAY...nobodys all right or all wrong...I think Endless Wire had great writing, but poor editing & no one playing the role Dave Sardy played on this one..

WHERE is the new track, or the sample, are we allowed to post the sample here ? Anybody know who drums on this one ? We have a list of drummers for each song here in the thread, but I don't where..

oneway23 likes this.
  20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It was in an interview or article I have read. It’s the kind of thing a Who fan remembers.

21. johnny moondog 909

Yeah JD didin't mean to sound rude, but people misread, misremember, I do it daily !!! Not doubting you so much as verifying...we have insiders here that could answer nearly every question..but usually they don't.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

@johnny moondog 909

Re: Dave Sardy

Did I not read, that Townshend spent 1 million in studio time to correct issues he had with Sardy's production ? Hence, resulting in a delayed release ??

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Zak has been performing with the Who longer than Keith did, but during that time they've been a nostalgia band, performing music created when Keith was a member, and Zak has had the job of playing drum parts created by Keith. So you can't really compare duration of time in any meaningful way.

If the songs which featured Zak were all guitar/bass/drums, but the songs without him instead featured banjos, ukeleles, string sections, and klezmers, then you would have a point. But I'm guessing all the songs on the album are rock songs with basic rock instrumentation as their core. It's not like the Zakless songs will be less "bandlike," they will simply have a different drummer. And I've never come away with the feeling that Zak has a really strong, distinctive, recognizable style that has become integral to the Who sound, so a different drummer to me isn't going to make a big difference, as long as it's a competent rock drummer (which appears to be the case here). BTW, I don't recall seeing anyone characterize Zak's personality as "daffy" or "zany". Where do you draw those characterizations from?

mw1917, Shoeshine, oneway23 and 2 others like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

From his goofing around in the new album vlog sessions last Feb-March...he had a happy upbeat zany mood going. Watch it. He's playing a tympani part on a kick drum,, goofing around in the control room. I'm not insulting him or attempting to, I think his good cheer was probably a big positive for the tracks.
    What I read or saw rather, was a sarcastic quip from Townshend, that Universal-Polydor put up a million dollar recording budget & Dave Sardy had managed to spend most of it.

I didin't read anything about Sardy being incompetent & poor Pete had to go redo everything because of it. I interpreted it more as, Dave Sardy is a studio rat ( loves the studio, gear etc ) & spent every hour & dollar he could, going over stuff with a fine tooth comb...which possibly bugged Townshend. A little. Usually the label recoups recording, manufacturing, promotion costs , before distributing royalties, so more it costs, less you make. Unless you made it better than it would have been otherwise, & it sells more because of it.

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Let me get this straight, on the 22nd The Who have a new album coming out, Paul McCartney is releasing a new two sided single, and Michael Nesmith of the Monkees is releasing a live album of a 1973 concert. Wow, great day for classic rock fans!

J_D__ and johnny moondog 909 like this.