"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Well I knew the airplane crash part - I think Pete mentions this in the O&S liner notes... or somewhere... plus "the wings of the aeroplane have just caught on fire" is kind of a giveaway. :)

jethrowup likes this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Astute & succinct reply to why & what.

As he said in the above post...not limited to, but speaking of say The WHO, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Beach Boys...& many more

It was a new sort of combination of these 60s giants, to have a mixture of songs, utilising 1-4-5 blues progressions, variants of them, pop songs & progressions, & everything from East Indian sitar & tabla, to 20s vaudville to whatever else, country, folk, orchestral-classical-Moody Blues, To Jazzy rock-Steely Dan in 73-74 onward, & say synthetic & organic keyboards with punchy horns ala Peter Gabriel in 1980 whatever it was... The Beatles Hey Bulldog, Back In The USSR, so many were some type of variation on a 1-4-5 type of thing...

Probably half, or let's just say a ton of classics,& hits, from Elvis & Chuck Berry straight through to now,, have utilized that type of thing..

JLF is right when he says the production, or i'll add the quintessential 70s-WHO type sound..

I get what your trying to say I think, & agree with part of what you're saying...I don't think or expect Ball & Chain is the best song on the album, & it seems like a pretty weird, even very poor choice to me, as the lead single on what's probably, The WHO swansong studio album..

But it sounds like them ( except the bass guitar ) it's good, it rawks...it has a lot to say lyrically..whether one agrees or not with the sentiment..

After hearing it 8 or 10 times now, I've said to myself..Well I may not like every track or song, but it's probably much more 'bandlike' & 'Wholike' than Endless Wire...with better production because they brought Dave Sardy & company into the project....I was a little shaken hearing Ball & Chain as the lead song, some here love it !, we just have to wait & see.. I don't expect they're all blues progression songs !!! Don't forget what Hero Ground Zero sounds like already !!!

Ryan Lux, Zeki and Elliottmarx like this.
  3. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

When E released his autobiography he had a “reading” in a church in London where he would pull random members of the public out of the audience to read a section of the book and in between sections he’d do a song. The last person he pulled up on stage was Pete (who knew he was going to be called) and he did a great reading.

Helmuth and twicks like this.
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

The few advertisements I've seen for the newly announced UK dates don't explicitly mention the orchestra. Has anyone confirmed that these dates will be a leg of the Who with orchestra show?

5. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Sorry, I just saw this post. I couldn’t agree me. I even got chastised before for saying it was a Pete solo album. I’m glad somebody else agrees!

6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Love the title, the cover and the song!!i’m totally in. Ball and Chain is a blues, nothing new, but it’s obscure, with layers full of something new, something hiding. The musical pauses are beautiful, those orchestra sounds are haunting. The descending guitar chords at 3:30 aprox are incredible.

somnar, dee, Ryan Lux and 3 others like this.
  7. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I haven't checked them all but the email I got from Leeds First Direct Arena does mention the orchestra Latest music, comedy and family events in Leeds at the first direct arena

"Following their stunning return to Wembley Stadium in July, the legendary rock band are back with a full orchestra to announce a date at the first direct arena for 2020, along with a brand new studio album entitled ‘WHO’ – their first in thirteen years."

8. oates

oates Forum Resident

That's a fair observation but unlike many old school rockers (Stones, Led Zep) The Who didn't milk the blues formula much during their peak years, and they can get away with this now occasionally without it sounding too predictable - I also wonder if Roger's work with Wilko Johnson (all of which was pretty much blues-based) has given him more of a predilection for a genre that does actually put less of a demand on his voice, and suits the lower register of his mature years.

Unfortunately, the new Who album has gathered a momentum of hype / pre-publicity / optimistic expectation that it might struggle now to live up to. I'd dearly love the guys to trump Quadrophenia but that cannot ever happen. It should trump Endless Wire, It's Hard, Face Dances and maybe even Who Are You. Time will tell.

jmxw, dee, jethrowup and 5 others like this.
  9. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I'm a bit stunned seeing all the album title comments. New who music and people are worried or talking about the name of the album. Odd, Ball And Chain is all I have heard so far, but I like it. Will be getting it on vinyl.

somnar, dee, JeffreyB and 3 others like this.
  10. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I love E and the Eels. Eels have been opening their shows with "Out In The Street" for the last two tours.
    E also appeared in the webcast shows "In The Attic", back in 2007.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Only problem I have with the album title is that an eponymously titled album far removed from the debut seems to indicate (whether intentionally or not) that the album is some sort of definitive statement on who the artist is. And with half the band gone, that's a tough sell from the word go.

But then again, it's all about the music. As long as it's good, I guess I'm happy with the title.

jethrowup likes this.
  12. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

I'm with you.

But in all fairness, the hype seems to have originated with our friend Roger, who first claimed it was their best record since Quadrophenia, then said it was their best since Who's Next. This was in last month's Uncut Magazine, I believe.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, since we only have one song to listen to so far, there's not much else to discuss.

That's pretty typical though. How many times have the Stones suggested a new album was their best since Exile on Main Street? It's natural for an artist to want to be excited about their latest work. Realistically, we all know they aren't going to top even the worst Moon-era album without Moon and Entwistle. Moon in particular was just too important to their sound. A realistic expectation would be something about on the same level as It's Hard, and better than Endless Wire. I'd be happy with that.

14. whotony

whotony Forum Resident

I’m just wondering when those of us who were told that we get a free cd of the record will get notice of shipment.

I think this was for anyone who bought tickets using the fan club or maybe it was Ticketmaster I can’t remember.
    We bought tix for Philly and Fort Lauderdale.

PhoffiFozz and jethrowup like this.
  15. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I love the artwork, like the title, and am highly enamored of “Ball and Chain.” I’m very optimistic about this release.

16. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The advanced tracks are pretty good. Gonna buy this for sure

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh dear. It should be good though. I think he knows making a comment like that will make people remember it and the new album coming up, whether he means it or anyone agrees or not. It's publicity.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Love the avatar. Such a great album.

brianvargo likes this.
  19. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

That's cool. Nice vocals by E. Only thing I'd heard from them is Electro shock blueswhich was rather sober and depressing.

20. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

That is one of E's "down" records, written after his sister committed suicide. The album "End Times" is also very, very dark, written after his divorce. But he has also released some upbeat, "happy" records, like "Wonderful, Glorious" and"Daisies of the Galaxy". Love him, so much variety on every tour. Every time he tours, he plays the songs in a completely different way.

21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Exactly. A very different kind of blues. Not often you hear these atmospheric touches in a blues. And it works well.

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm 44 years old and I'm getting crankier as I get older. I hate almost everything new. Nothing is as good as as it once was. Not movies, not music, not technology.... Everything and everyone seems to just keep letting me down.

But I kinda liked Endless Wire. Even the awkward moments were charming. I don't love it -- it certainly has its lesser songs - and of course it's not even quite as good as It's Hard - but I like it.

I refuse to listen to the new Who songs in advance. Instead, I'm going to order the album the minute it's available and will decide what I think of it nearly as soon as it arrives in my mailbox.

As for the title and cover, eh, it's a dumb title, the cover is not great but fine by me - but I don't care. It's not 1973 anymore and there's nothing I can do to change that. The music is what matters, and I'll either like it or I won't based on its own merits.

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

How about an album cover of Roger and Pete peeing on a concrete piling?

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Mike Post Theme is the song from Endless Wire that has the classic Who sound to me.

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Weird to think The Two have been together longer now (2002-present) that the classic 4 man Who were (1964-78) :/