"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'm hearing at Who official, we may not get any specifics on the 3 bonus tracks...not sure if its true or not..

My only other complaint or minor disappointment, just imo Ball & Chain is kind of weird choice to kick this thing off. Obviously that won't be an issue for more than 60 days...they did something kind of similar in 2006, using a truncated, shortened 6-7 minute section of the mini opera as the lead single-promo...which I think flopped, except in Canada where I think it was a near the top of their singles chart.

If anyone knows anything more about the 3 ? Bonus tracks, what they are, demos, outtakes from the new sessions, titles, & what configuration they are sold in. Vinyl does me no good, if we just purchase the Deluxe CD...do we get all 14 new recordings ? Or ? Please post here or pm me if you understand about the bonus tracks.

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

They tried that but they left the urinary medication at the hotel & couldn't pee.

mBen989, VQR, Radagast and 3 others like this.
  3. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

For the streaming version

izgoblin, sharedon, Zeki and 16 others like this.
  4. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I’m imagining Jerry Stiller’s character in Zoolander.

The Big Guy likes this.
  5. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

It’s the backing vocals.

“It’s Not Enough” sounds like 80s Who to me.

6. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Zak Starkey has (for all intents and purposes) been with them since 1994.

1994 was 25 years ago.

In 1994 The Who were celebrating their 30th anniversary.

In other words, Zak is 5 years shy of having been with The Who for half of their career.

Zeki, ssmith3046, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Still no U.S. Amazon listing. Listed everywhere else, wonder what’s up?

George McClellan and WhoTapes1 like this.
  8. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Hm. Roger said Pete gave him 12 demos for consideration for this album. There are 11 songs on this album. I'm not sure if "Guantanamo"/"Ball and Chain" would be one of the demos or not...so that leaves 1-2 demos left over. We also have "Sand", of course, which may or may not have been one of those demos.

9. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Yes, my understanding is if you buy the Deluxe CD, you get all 14 new recordings.
    Since they haven't told us what these tracks are yet, one of them might be the Sand demo, which so far is only on "The Who Store exclusive limited Triple vinyl format"

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I swear U.S. Amazon always seems to lag behind everyone else, but surely they’ll be listing it soon. I have a balance there that I’ve been saving to use for this release.

maccawings likes this.
  11. Johnny,

I think there’s a communication breakdown somewhere. I don’t follow the Who’s album vlogs. This is my first introduction. I have been under the impression from some previous posts that the album was to be called “Detour” but WHO had been chosen instead. I was certainly not slagging a song I haven’t heard but rather the possible album title. Hence, the Old Sock comment. For the first time in decades, I am actually looking forward to hearing what these guys have to play. All the best, mate.

Won’t get fooled again,

Bill

Ryan Lux likes this.
  12. Nope. Gimme “Eminence Front” and I’m good to go with latter-day Who.

And really, I agree, Old Sock is the album title equivalent of wearing sweatpants in public.

Cheers,

Bill

jethrowup likes this.
  13. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Quite simply one of the best SHF posts I have ever read! Well stated and turning 53 last week myself turned my own crankiness up another notch :cry:

Looking forward to this release, although not at the insane level of anticipation I felt for Endless Wire, which I still enjoy, despite Trilby, Jaime, and In the Ether, ugh!

Although OK, I like the Guantanamo Pete version from Truancy much better, but how cool we even have 2 versions now to compare. The cover is striking and Peter Blake all over, who knew Face Dances would get some notice 39 years later?

Will await word on the promised copies
    connected to the tickets for the Indy show we attended, a fantastic show where the band and orchestra clicked and a packed crowd showed their love.

izgoblin likes this.
  14. Bitblur

Bitblur Forum Resident

Interesting though that Zak is one of four drummers on the album. There's him, Carla Azar, Joey Waronker and Matt Chamberlain.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As for me, Im waiting for the Super Deluxe Package of all four albums and a bonus blu-ray disc called "How: The Making Of Why, What, Where And When" included.

Also will have a bonus-bonus disc of demos called "Whatever".

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Just wait until your 66 :)

GoodKitty and izgoblin like this.
  17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I wouldn't say "No" to that. Especially if it was based on new or unreleased song.

18. oates

oates Forum Resident

The time will come (soon I expect) when any song can be artificially transformed into a Who performance replicating the classic era sound. Aural equivalent of CGI. All of Pete's unused demos can be fed through the process to create dozens of new Who albums! No musician need lift a finger.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  19. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

As long as it doesn't sound like a Frankenstein affair, I'd be open to the possibility of hearing The Ox & Moon play again.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm calling it, "Shoot Again." :laugh:

22. Meddows

Meddows Forum Resident

[QUOTE="johnny moondog 909, post: 22128765,
    My only other complaint or minor disappointment, just imo Ball & Chain is kind of weird choice to kick this thing off. Obviously that won't be an issue for more than 60 days...they did something kind of similar in 2006, using a truncated, shortened 6-7 minute section of the mini opera as the lead single-promo...which I think flopped, except in Canada where I think it was a near the top of their singles chart.
    .[/QUOTE]

It’s not entirely accurate to say it flopped in certain territories.
    It’s format excluded it from charts in the Uk due to length.
    There was (is?) a time limit on what’s considered to be a “single”. Similar restrictions exist in different markets too

23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Very sad that the duo of Daltrey and Townsend continue to appropriate the Who name.

willwin and cungar like this.
  24. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Love the cover art.

Would have preferred "Detours" as a title.

Love the references on the cover. How many can you spot?
    Magic Bus
    Sell Out
    Pinball Wizard
    The Detours
    Maximum R&B
    Love [Reign?]
    By The Numbers
    ?Who's Next? [Ali]
    Quadrophenia
    Batman
    another Pinball Wizard [or was the first on Pictures Of Lily?]
    Face Dances

John Bliss, izgoblin and jethrowup like this.
  25. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Richmond-Upon-Thames / Eel Pie Island

jethrowup and jmxw like this.