"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I hope 1972 Paris, Stockholm or another show from that tour was well filmed and they have the footage:)

2. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

There are things. First thing is all of the new activity.

Herman Schultz and J_D__ like this.
  3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

You aren't willing to say whether they have bass & drums ! Wow !@

How about video #4 what day will that be ? Is it a 4th song ?

4. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

"It's Hard" came out while I was in college. I retire Wednesday this week (12/4) before the new album comes out. During my entire working career, the Who released ONE album of all new material. Oh well, I was probably too busy to listen much anyway. That changes on Thursday. Good timing!

Sci-Flyer, Elliottmarx, Ulli and 15 others like this.
  5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Congratulations!

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Roger's return to the memorial there was very moving to me. I hated hearing the Who music that was backed to the video of him at the memorial. Perhaps it was fitting for those who tragically lost their lives there in that they were going to hear some of that music and see the band live. It was distressing to me to hear those songs set amidst such a tragedy as they are used in the video of Roger's visit to the memorial which is otherwise quite touching and heaing as an observer.

I know Pete can say and write some beautiful things in writing and also say confusing things in intervies that are either misunderstood or things that just seem simply self-serving or gratuitous.
    I hope for his sake and those whose lives were destroyed that he doesn't put his feet in his mouth if he and Roger do indeed return there for a concert, or a benefit, charity kind of event. Peace.

reb likes this.
  7. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

J_D__, dee and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  8. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

The WHO Cincinnatti ( ? Spell ? ) tragedy is just that, no fault of the Band's or unique in rock history either... there was the Stones Altamont concert, where the Hell's Angels security people stomped someone to death, whatever they did. A few years ago a big act headlining a club venue & a fire killed people trapped in the building. Or the artists killed in small planes, flying in bad weather, Buddy Holly, Rick Nelson...someone has probably written multiple volume books on tragedy in rock. But yes very sad...No way should or could the band be held accountable.

What's impressing me right now, is the big multilevel marketing campaign to push th8s album, by the label(s), Who management & whoever else is doing it.

They're on tv, radio, internet, media is pretty thick with WHO, Townshend, Daltrey interviews, stories, past present & future ! The prevention of album leaks surprises me ! Good for them...

There are things that could've been better, releasing the album months 'after' the tour ended seems rather lame or counterintuitive, & with Daltrey's annual throat scraping...I'm guessing ? He can't sing for a few weeks ??....because I would think, no expert am I, but common sense says , do at least 6 or 8 big tv spots on chat shows etc....seems like they're doing well with print & online media, I'd think The Tonight show & Saturday night live & a few others in USA, & Parkinson & BBC, whatever's big in UK would help...

But overall despite any foulups, this campaign seems nearly Beatles Anthology or McCartney Egypt Station level, big time marketing !..... In my mind because it's such a rare event- 2 studio albums in 13 years....or just 3 in 37 years....& because it's such a strong album....I'd be so happy for the band, & label.... if the album peaked or maintained for 3-4 or 5 consecutive weeks, instead of just 1 week like we see with recent McCartney & similar acts. I really hope Un8versal & Polydor keep the big promotional spending going for at least a couple months. I hope Daltrey & Townshend cooperate & play new songs & hits on all the big tv shows, I hope they twist some arms to get some important radio adds etc.

Getting cranky I want to hear Detour, Street Song & Rocking In Rage & Danjy & My Ponies & Sand !!@!

WHO Who we want Who
    WHO Who we want Who
    WHO Who we want Who !

9. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Who'sTommy, J_D__ and Jet Age Eric like this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

4* review in the Metro newspaper today in the UK. I can't post a link as I'm posting on my mobile...

Herman Schultz likes this.
  11. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

That's a fine piece of writing from that reviewer. He's only been given 300 words and he's got his point across superbly. Not because he likes it, but because he's nailed it about the band.

"What made Endless Wire sing sporadically makes Who hum throughout with energy, tension and clarity". - this is wonderful writing and an object lesson in succinctness and pointed judgement.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  12. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Bomber1 likes this.
  13. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

:laugh:

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

RE: New activity

What is the plan in regards to the 4K videos

thanks

15. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

16. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Same as in the UK, and almost all the newspapers and magazines have now reviewed it.

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I thought it came out earlier in the UK ... My response stands! ;) The new Entertainment Weekly has a two-page spread on the album cover ... -E

18. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I'm not saying there aren't any - but just look at the reviews over the last few pages, almost entirely UK newspapers not US ones. Just seems surprising, that's all, given I'd suggest that the Who are a bigger name in the US than in their homeland.

reb likes this.
  19. Maccastarr

Maccastarr Forum Resident

well, it still appears to be lost on many . . .

Herman Schultz and Shoeshine like this.
  20. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I was in college too, a freshman. Vividly remember a kid walking down the hall in my dorm singing "Just a girl, just a girl" to himself. I wish I could retire with you!

rswitzer and Herman Schultz like this.
  21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Those look more like soapbar type pickups.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Gibson

[​IMG]

23. dee

dee Senior Member

A different piece I was referring to here also, with Roger, in person...
    Memorial...Roger is visibly struggling in voice and body movements with the gravity of it. And yet there is the literal memorial fund, scholarship, the gathering there, that is meant to offer some relief to those aggrieved and still living with it.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Ahh! Mini humbuckers like he had in his Les Pauls. Very interesting!

Herman Schultz and reb like this.
  25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Very hard to watch that video. Wish they'd not used the music in it. It's good to remember and commemorate those who were lost, though...

MortSahlFan likes this.