"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

If those who care care, they are announcing and pre-selling some other new US dates in May, another Vegas run, maybe others? This is along with the makeup dates already announced for the rog-illness cancellations toward end of last run.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

A short true story, that i'm guessing is pretty typical of the new album, & i'm hoping will boost sales the first 2 weeks, by an extra 5-10 K..

I first told a friend about the new WHO several months ago, & he was hopeful & open minded, but sort of dubious he'd like it more than Endless Wire or It's Hard or Face Dances...probably like it less than those....but hey great he said, the WHO at least wrote & recorded something..

My friend & I are of similar age, late 50s, both songwriters musicians, big fans of Beatles, WHO, Stones,, etc...so as each song became available i've sent him a link, & various quotes or articles....

So first I sent Ball & Chain...we both had similar thoughts, he replued, Daltrey really sounds like an old Bluesman..it was pretty good, but we didin't know yet, Daltrey's vocal was in "bluesman" character for the song !!!

Then After I heard All This Music Must Fade, i was floored & sent him a link....he replied, Wow that's a good one.. then same routine for I don't wanna get wise, we both liked that one..then today he writes & says, this new WHO album is better than I ever thought it would be, & then adds

"It's Really Nice To Have The WHO back isin't it ! "

Long story short....I think that type of reaction is unfolding in thousands of living rooms, car stereos & headphones, & just & only because, fans like it, that simple....and I would add, in addition to all the formal advertising & publicity, word of mouth from classic rock fan to friend may be helping too.

I'd agree with earlier posters, thinking the WHO are making an error by not booking the biggest chat shows in UK & USA over the next 2-3 weeks to goose album sales...maybe they can't because Roger Daltrey's throat is healing. The WHO can claim ( maybe truthfully ) they don't care about chart placement or album sales, but the rest of us do care !!! Obviously Universal-Polydor has sunk a few million into it, & i'm praying they'll sink another million into the release campaign.

What i'm hoping, considering the whole backstory of the band & this album, is that in 2020 with the UK & European shows & 12+ USA shows, they incorporate at least 2-3 more new songs into the concerts, & continue to push WHO, with label support, until summer 2020....before veering off into promoting, greatest hits, live with orchestra album or Townshend's age of anxiety album..... people are responding to the album...& I'm hoping it will continue to sell through late spring 2020....maybe that's been the plan all along, a sustained promo campaign over 5-6 months, with concerts, tv chat shows, 1 or 2 music videos, controversial remarks to the press...instead of the modern trend of first week peaks on charts, by week 3 it's down to #84 or lower !!!

Isin't it nice to have The WHO back !!

DETOUR !!! DETOUR !! I NEED A DETOUR !!!

4. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

They've been doing a lot of stuff here. But UK chat shows don't have the same reach or cut through here as US ones do in America, it isn't the same thing.

They're doing Jonathan Ross next week, and while Graham Norton is off air, that's about the biggest one available, but you're not talking big viewing figures. We just don't love the chat show as much as you do over there!

If there's one they ought to do, it's the One Show. I daresay they probably will too.

5. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Rog is not up to that yet. 6 weeks. Pete could use a break too. After the holidays.. Don't forget Tommy had been out for 3/4 months then after Woodstock it shot back up the charts.

6. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

That's off. Roger needs time to recoup. They will be back in the new year.

7. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Oh is it? Fair enough. Thanks.

Bomber1 likes this.
  8. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Well I've done my share. I'm too embarrassed to even admit how many versions of WHO I have on order. With the Who being my favorite band of all time and
    me being somewhat of a collector, I've ordered: the softpack CD, the deluxe CD, the regular CD in a bundle with the cassette, the Japanese version, and of course
    the download so I can hear it on release day (cause the other stuff may take a little while to get to me). How about that johnny moondog!!!:D:D:D

And yes I know....I need help :shrug:

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh how I love this thread!!!!! You "Who" fans have been so much fun to hang out with! I thought I could take a "Detour" from the record today and listen to some more of my RSD titles, but wait, did I just co crazy, a day without the new "Who" album, no fing way!!! Off I go...and I am going to crank the hell out of it and sit back with total amazement!

Outstanding!!! That's cool as all get out, love your post!!! Look out @johnny moondog 909 ! ha!

10. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Got my shipping notification today that my copy from the ticket offer is on its way!

Can’t wait to hear this album! The singles so far have been great (have even heard “All This Music Must Fade” on a couple local radio stations!)

Given that most positive reviews are saying this is the best since Who’s Next or Quadrophenia ( which are my favorite Who albums), I’m really looking forward to it!

11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

For anyone keeping track I think these are all the configurations. Have I missed anything?

Standard Edition CD
    Ex-US deluxe w 3 bonus
    Target US w 3 bonus tracks
    Japan SHM CD w 3 bonus tracks + Sand demo
    Mojo Softpak edition

Standard LP
    Website deluxe 2LP@45 + Sand 10”
    Indie LP w best of bonus disc
    HMV w best of bonus disc and special Obi
    Indie UK picture disc

Cassette

Rolling Stone Germany single (My Generation/Ball and Chain)

Website music and merch bundles

Bomber1 and LonesomeDayBlues like this.
  12. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

I want to share my happiness with @johnny moondog 909 @scotti and @TheBigGuy !!!
    These are exciting and unique times. I can’t believe we are living this new Who album moment. Today i received the email from the Who Store telling me that my 45 RPM 2 LP of WHO has beem dispatched!!! I still don’t receive an Amazon Uk notification for the Deluxe Cd.
    1 DAY!!!!!!!!

WE NEED A DETOUR RIGHT NOW!!!!

13. Randal_SS

Randal_SS Jammin' Econo

No email confirmations here for (1) my Who Store order for the US 3X LP version, nor my (2) Live Nation/Ticketmaster with-concert-purchase CD.

Blaklazer and Fullbug like this.
  14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I got an email today saying my free cd from my ticket purchase in May was shipped out.

I ordered the standard vinyl edition from Amazon initially, but seeing that they had no estimated ship date I just canceled it and ordered it from Target for the same price.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Blaklazer

Blaklazer Forum Resident

Me neither and i pre ordered in september. I am just gonna trust it comes

16. Randal_SS

Randal_SS Jammin' Econo

Same... pre-ordered in Sept as well.

17. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Just wanted to chime in and say that the album cover is hideous. That is all.

18. Williambear

Williambear "X is for LA punk bands."

Got email confirmation of concert CD and Vinyl order this evening.

Bomber1 and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  19. johnny moondog 909

So question ?? New Zealand is nearly or about 24 hours ahead of Pacific standard time USA..so does that mean New Zealand will have it roughly 22-24 hours before California ???

20. marblesmike

Yep. My guess is that a lot of people will start getting their copies tomorrow.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  21. johnny moondog 909

Including you old pal ???

22. marblesmike

Nope, I'm on the east coast US so I'm waiting almost as long as you, unless one of my copies shows up tomorrow.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  23. johnny moondog 909

Ok its Friday in New Zealand, & in a couplr hours, it will be in Eastern Australia & Japan !!

Is anyone going to post sound samples from NZ amazon or Amazon Japan etc ! We wanna hear it !@

24. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

3 Stars, my fing a$$! Now I'm angry...ha! (found out they listened to it through a pair of $5.00 earbuds) Having fun, reviews do not bother me and this, is a 5 Star + record!!!!!

Bomber1 and johnny moondog 909 like this.