"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The 2 LP set is an indie release limited edition and the Hits LP is cream colored vinyl.

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm gonna buy this album but it sounds like vinyl is the way to go, right?

scotti likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazon appear to have put back the vinyl delivery date by at least a week (was expecting it today).

4. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Not in my book. Not at all.

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Time for a new book. ;)

Bomber1 likes this.
  6. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Uh, wow!

I didn't have high expectations for this album. The name, cover art, and (out of context) the singles all screamed "filler" to me. I couldn't understand, in the wake of "As Long As I Have You", why they felt the need to put the band's name on this record.

I had no business doubting The Who.

"Street Song", "Beads on One String", "I'll Be Back", and "Break the News" are top-tier Who. The rest of the album, including the parts I don't like, work pretty cohesively. All the song titles should be in double-quotes to get the point across that this is, as usual, sarcastic, self-deprecating Pete Townsend doing his usual, uncomfortable, glorious thing. The arrangements are organic, energetic, and distinctively Who without sounding cliched or cheap.

I feel like the two streaming bonus tracks ("Nothing to Prove" and "Danny and My Ponies") actually flow pretty well with the album, and in my headcanon, they are a legitimate part of it. (Maybe "She Rocked My World" just does nothing for me.) I love how that former, a 1966 demo, works beautifully as a closing statement on what could be their final album (with "Danny" acting as some sort of denoument).

If this winds up being their last album, it doesn't disappoint. If they decide to keep cranking out things of this calibre... that's great!

My "2010s" playlist is almost over, and I did not expect to have The Who capping it off.

7. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

In the UK Amazon charts, it's currently number 6 (deluxe) and 8 standard). In the rock sub category, it's 1 & 2.

I mean, I don't want to assume, but it's pretty promising on day one.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  8. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

My local record store (deemed top 10 by Rolling Stone no less) only got the CD today.. was told to check back on the vinyl ...could be a couple of days, etc.. not sure what's worse... not getting it in on release day (WTF) or the store clerk seeming to not know who was the Who or that they had an album out today.

If I didn't have store credit....

Meanwhile over on Amazon... they don't seem to be carrying the vinyl.. just from other sellers.

Strange.

9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Went to my local FYE to buy it, and it wasn't on the "new releases" shelf. Hmm, maybe in with the Who? Nope, not there (though I found the 2013 Tommy CD, which I'd been after for a while - at least there was that!). Asked the guy at the counter if they'd already put up all the new releases. "Yep, they're all out on the floor." Oh, well, I guess I'll just - hey, wait, what's that stack of CDs next to the register? Hey! There it is!

I have to say, I didn't particularly care for any of the three pre-release singles. I listened to all three and found 'em to be pretty weak. My initial impression of this album was "I'm gonna get it because it's the Who, but I don't expect much." Well, I'm playing the CD now, and I can't help it, this is bringing back that rush that I had when I first got into the Who back in 2014. I feel like a kid again. Wanna know the best part? I'm only up to track three! The same songs that I thought were lame are now making me feel like a kid again. Funny how they're all at the beginning - now that my opinion on those has been totally flipped, I'm in a much better mindset for the rest of the album.

Long live the Who!!!

EDIT: All right, some people were doubtful that this was as good as people were saying. I know this because I was one of them. I AM CONVERTED. THIS ALBUM IS ****ING FANTASTIC. I'm not even halfway through it and I intend to stand by this statement!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'm friends with a buyer at Rolling Stone in Norridge and he has been telling me of the nightmares of distribution and it's only getting worse. He did indeed tell me last night that they did not get the new Who album for release day.
    It's extremely frustrating for them.

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You would choose wisely with that decision! Enjoy! 7 full listens to the standard black 180g, and it sounds fantastic and if you crank it up, it breathes quite nicely. Nice bass/bottom end and you can really hear the background in detail. Really nice job with this.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

How about the 45 rpm vinyl? Worth the trips from the couch? If so, happy to walk!

Bomber1 likes this.
  13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'll put up a more detailed review later, but for now... I'll just say this is a great album and I love it so far.

Incidentally, I think the bass playing is awesome. It jumped out at me several times. I do not have the credits for the album yet, so I'm not sure if it's all Pino. But it sounds like him throughout most of the album. I'm not sure why people have a problem with him.

Roger is absolutely wonderful throughout the album. He sounds amazing, like he did on "Be Lucky" and As Long As I Have You. There are a LOT of great songs here. But most of all... kudos to them for making an "album". There is variety, there is a sense of The Who of old, but there is a lot of modern direction on here. In a good way. And to my ears, there is some of the most "tasteful" use of autotune used as an effect on this album, that I've ever heard. (Although I don't love all the places they used it). I think I audibly spotted Zak on at least 4 songs and I think all the drumming works well, so all that talk about not using Zak is a little funny in hindsight.

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Here’s my ranking:
    1) Quad
    2) Who’s Next
    3) Who By Numbers
    4) Sell Out
    5) My Generation
    6) Tommy
    7) Who
    8) Who Are You
    9) A Quick One
    10) It’s Hard
    11) Face Dances
    12) Endless Wire

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

What don’t you like about it?

Bomber1 likes this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

There is a 45rpm version?
    I was all set to get the 33RPM version tomorrow from my local Sainsburys. £22 but I have a £4 voucher so £18.
    I might hold fire....

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Who website has a three record set. The album at 45 rpm spread over two, and Sand, a 60s demo on the third with another track. Very tempting.

J_D__, Bomber1 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Would like to hear about this one as well. Being a Jazz fanatic I have many 45 rpm records and they almost always sound better than the 33 1/3 versions. With that said, I am so happy with the standard version, not sure I would want to mess up the flow of this record. I like this album one side at a time, not so sure about about having this one that way. I can't imagine it sounding that much better, but as always, I'm all ears and would sure love to hear comparisons. Nice call out...

Bomber1 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe it has something to do with the 3 LP set. I ordered 9/13/19 but, haven’t received an email. I emailed c/s yesterday. No reply yet.

Bomber1 likes this.
  21. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Mine is:
    1. Quad (by far)
    2. Who's Next
    3. Tommy, especially for the playing.
    4. Sell Out
    5. Odds and Sods
    6. Who By Numbers
    7. The Kids Are Alright
    8. Who Are You
    9. My Generation
    10. Who
    11. A Quick One
    12. Who's Missing
    13. Two's Missing.
    14. Magic Bus: The Who on Tour
    15. Endless Wire
    16. It's Hard
    17. Face Dances
    18. Who's Last (definitely)
    Forgot Leeds - 4.5

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"Break The News" is a very interesting tune. Not very Who-like, but I enjoy it. The melody in the middle of the song is very reminiscent of "Almost Blue" by Elvis Costello - and since Elvis is the reason I'm a music fan, I approve!

I don't know if my opinion will stay with repeated listens, but honestly, I expected this album to suck. I expected it to sound like two guys past their prime trying too hard. I guess I should have learned my lesson when I had the same expectations for the 2017 concert that bowled me over (and, for what it's worth, was as good as the Elvis Costello concert I saw at the same venue the month before!).

But even if my opinion does change, I definitely think this was a grand way to spend twelve bucks and spend an evening. Pete 'n' Roger have my undying loyalty. Rock on, lads. :righton:

(Oh yeah, and it was also amusing to discover that one of the drummers from my favorite band appears on this album!)

Herman Schultz likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Probably late to the party, as I imagine a lot of Who fans heard it before (it was the first time for me--at least to my memory), but I love the arrangement on the bonus track "Got Nothing to Prove"

24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

The song itself is a real gem.

J_D__ and Terrapin Station like this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’d say it’s on equal par with Pete’s White City album. Maybe better as I need a few more listens.