"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I know

2. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Gardo, Detroit Music Fan and zeppo1 like this.
  3. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

My theory, and this has never been eluded to by Roger or Pete, but it's what I think - when Pete got into trouble with the law in 2003(4), Roger was the first person to say in public that, "I've known Pete Townshend all my life and he IS NOT a child molester!" It just seems like a statement like that, when Pete was at the lowest of low points in his life, could go a long way towards repairing any relationship, no matter how broken. It seems to me like that's when the relationship really changed to more of a brotherly love type relationship. I could be wrong, like I said, it's only my opinion.

izgoblin, Gardo, Dog Ear and 3 others like this.
  4. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think to some extent I've read interviews with both of them, stressing & agreeing with your point...That Daltrey quickly came to his moral defense & Townshend appreciated & was moved by that.

Also I've read them both say, Entwistle's sudden death was a pivotal moment where they had to decide to either come closer or drift apart, as the only 2 left.

I'm sure there are other pivotal moments as well...Just simply growing into old men, as the last 2 original members...they have both talked about the profound reality, of their current age, passage of time, changes in perspective & their lives..

Townshend a lot of his recent songwriting, alludes to aging, & though Daltrey was not keen on doing the new album at first, I suspect as he got into it, he began to relate & internalize, many of the themes in Pete's new songs...

I've seen Townshend tell a story, about Anyway Anyhow in 65, & Daltrey's cowriting credit, Where Townshend explains, Roger basically helped arrange & rearrange parts of the song, & continues to do so on WHO songs to this very day. But without nicking Pete for a co-credit !

Daltrey recently speaks about how he needed to get Townshend's blessing to change tense, a few words, phrases, ( So he, Daltrey ) could get into the songs with conviction, & his own psyche & interpretation...

So all that does speak to a kind of trust & deep relationship, even though socially they rarely mix or even speak, unless something requires both their attention.

ANYWAY 24 DAYS TO GO !! Doesn't anyone have an opinion or knowledge, of whether we should or will hear anything new , prior to release day on the 6th ?

I ask because, from what I recall of new albums in recent years, by classic artists.. Stones, Pink Floyd, McCartney, Dylan etc etc. Normally either radio spins at least 1 or 2 new songs a few days or week before. Or the Radio or Internet broadcasts a special on the album, interviewing the artist & giving a preview of at least part of the album.

I remember just recently I believe ( BBC ) & others did that with Beatles White album 50th. Can't remember if the WHO My Generation box set 50th, did that or not on 2015. I think Endless Wire had quite a bit of pre-release previews.

But with just 3 weeks to go, wouldn't we have read or heard something already ? About a radio or internet special ? Why wouldn't they want to set up something like that ?

Gardo likes this.
  5. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

It’s SO good.

It really, really is. You play it back-to-back with Ball and Chain, and it’s just... like... Pete, how have you done this???

The band’s a favorite, but Pete was to me the least likely rock star to bring it at age 74, and to bring ol’ Rog’ along with him! It’s really amazing.

The rest of the new LP could be **** — and we KNOW it won’t be — and it would still be a good album based on the strength of these 2 songs released so far.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Gardo, Who'sTommy, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  6. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I just took a look on Amazon, but I do not see any album by The Who available for purchase or even for pre-order. Can anyone provide a link? Thank you.

7. Detroit Music Fan

https://www.amazon.com/WHO-LP-Who/d...who&qid=1573685613&sprefix=the+who+who&sr=8-1

There’s those SEO issues some of us have been complaining about, Bomber1. I admit, I believe the new LP will do fine without taking SEO into account over the title. And, really, it’s a very fitting title, despite any complaints from me.

Meyer and Bomber1 like this.
  8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I'm a little bit confused, since by all accounts this has been totally in the can for months, that they are waiting this darn long to release it. All the press and fan energy connected to tour will have months to dissipate. Seems really silly. And I hadn't even thought of the internet search idiocy of the non-title. I feel that a lot that COULD have happened commerically with this LP will not because of bad biz decisions.

Meyer, Bomber1 and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. Detroit Music Fan

Although I complain about it and better SEO might have come in handy a little, I do not believe it will be the deciding factor on whether or not the album’s a success.

I also think fan appreciation of this album in the long run is going to be way more important than initial sales for its real success.

Supposedly, two or three factors went into any “delays” in the album. This has been stated by Pete in interviews, by moderators on The Who boards, it has been quoted on The Who boards and quoted here. Feel free to dig for it, but I’ll summarize what I remember. The delays were partially because the producer Dave Sardy was working hard on the mixes. The delays were because the labels wanted it released closer to the holidays. And the delays were because the labels wanted more time to press more vinyl for the release.

I wouldn’t worry about the tour. They’re touring the UK with a stop in Ireland too in late winter and early spring. They maybe coming back to the U.S. in the spring for at least a few dates including the New Orleans Jazz Fest, although I don’t know that anyone but Pete has said anything near official about that last part. Pete just had his novel published. And there is an art installation with music coming along with his novel.

It actually sounds like they’re dropping the LP in the middle of a lot of touring and a lot of Pete activity. If they add a few more songs from the LP to the set lists, it is just about as perfect as could be for promoting the LP.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, we know the original agreements signed by Pete and Roger called for the album to be ready for the summer touring — obviously that didn’t happen, but clearly the label wanted to tie-in the album promotion and sales to active touring. Still, they had fall dates and it appears the album was ready by then. Who knows how extensive 2020 will be with respect to touring, but it seems bizarre to release this album after several months of touring when most activity will cease.

11. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

The record company held the release for the 4th quarter (Christmas) because they love the LP. It was ready. It was a decision by UMG. The tour cranks up again in March.

13. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

The Beatles released 'The Beatles' in 1968. No problems there. 24× Platinum (maybe the fans will give 'WHO" a nickname too! (the White album...the great album?)

Interscope/UMG has bought advertising on Amazon etc. that when you search even basically "The Who" the first thing you see the top of the page is the new album. I don't see why there would be any issue finding it.

2 songs? You haven't heard anything yet........... strap in.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  14. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Detour.

Odysseus and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  15. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

A good old fashioned 1960s/ 1970s rock LP conversation. Have missed it. :righton:

MPLRecords likes this.
  16. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Detour would've been an excellent name for this album... for many reasons.

Definitely would've been better than just WHO.

slipkid likes this.
  17. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

@Bomber1

Will we be hearing another song before the Dec 6th release?

Odysseus likes this.
  18. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Depends on whats under the hood. They liked WHO so it's WHO. Just be glad they rejected:
    Who's For Tennis? :sweating:

Odysseus and beatleswho like this.
  19. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

possibly

zeppo1 and beatleswho like this.
  20. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Ticketmaster bundled the upcoming WHO CD with the purchase of a pair of tickets for the American tour just ended. I assume those CDs will count as units sold. If so, 100,000 units will easily be surpassed by the bundling practice alone.

slipkid likes this.
  21. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

23 days !

Odysseus likes this.
  22. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Often with these bundling maneuvers the ticket buyer needs to opt-in for the "sale" of the record to count.
    Bundling helps (a lot) but it is not a guarantee of huge, huge sales.
    Townshend is hoping for 100,000 for a reason, surely that number is in his head because that is the expectation that's the team is talking about.

Bomber1 and Odysseus like this.
  23. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I've heard that the Search Engines worked better in '68 than they do now.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

World Health Organization

25. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I was glad they abandoned the WHO2 or WHO2K names that were being thrown around for what became Endless Wire back in 2006.