Who are the most underrated guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Dec 16, 2016.

1. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched and was surprised to not find a general thread on this topic, only threads focusing on one specific guitarist.

What guitarists do you find to be underrated?

My pick is Glen Buxton from the Alice Cooper band.

DooDee, Sean, RebLhoj and 15 others like this.
  2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Two that immediately popped into my mind are Adam Granduciel of The War On Drugs and Dave Rawlings, partner of Gillian Welch.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Larry LaLonde, I think is underrated (that he's next to Les Claypool doesn't help).
    East Bay Ray from the Dead Kennedys is a great player, especially for a punk player.

ism, PinkIsTheSky, vonwegen and 8 others like this.
  4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Elliot Easton from The Cars.

5. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

6. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Malcom Young comes to mind first - he's one of the best rhythm players in rock as far as I'm concerned. Right up there with Keith Richards in getting the tempo and groove just right.

Of course, I'd also like to see people like Deniz Tek, Sonic Smith and Bob Mould get more recognition for their amazing talent and style.

7. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Rick Witowski from Crack the Sky.

[​IMG]

8. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Ron Asheton!

vonwegen, Reever, mr.datsun and 18 others like this.
  9. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

John Lees - lead guitarist of Barclay James Harvest.
    Raymond McGinley - lead guitarist of Teenage Fanclub.
    Dave Gonzalez - lead guitarist of The Paladins.

10. ...without question Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column. Contemporary of Ian Curtis of Joy Division on Factory Records late 70s / early 80s.....now only big in Japan or so it seems ...

The Factory Music Film "24 Hour party People" closes with :-

"From God. And the Lord said unto Tony: Vini Reilly is due a revival. You might think about a Greatest Hits. It's good music to chill out to."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Francis Dunnery when he was a member of It Bites, I saw them live a few times in the '80s and he is such a talented musician and singer.

12. Phil Keaggy isn't terribly well-known outside of Christian Rock fans.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Dave Alvin
    Gerry Leonard

vonwegen likes this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

WTF does “underrated” mean for the guitarists being mentioned? All from acclaimed, best-selling, highly esteemed, popular, mostly hugely successful and/or legendary bands that *nobody* to the best of my recollection is running down, dismissing, criticizing, damning with faint praise, or saying anything that equals underrating them.

I’d be fine if the idea was to namecheck and extoll guitarists that aren’t talked about enough for their creativity, technique, style, whatever. Or just say you love them and highly recommend listening if you’ve missed their work, that you wish they were more famous, remembered by more people....

But this “underrated” thing is just a plague of bull$hit. It’s a crime to plaster that word all over somebody’s good reputation unless you can back it up with some actual evidence than somebody is talking about these guitarists in a negative or unfair fashion.

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I've seen videos of him, and I hate Christian rock for how gutless and preachy it is, but that guy is a great talent.

16. My favorite Keaggy album is The Wind And The Wheat. It's all instrumental.

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

James Dean Bradfield

19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'm with you on the underrated stuff, they're the one's we probably haven't heard of.

mark winstanley and mikedifr0923 like this.
  20. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

this guy...

[​IMG]

'Luke'.

21. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Robyn Hitchcock!

22. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

Lee Underwood - guitarist for Tim Buckley from Goodbye And Hello through Starsailor. He occasionally worked with him after that.

Some of my favorite work of his is on Happy Sad (I really love his solo on Strange Feeling and his backing work on Buzzin' Fly) and throughout Starsailor. He subsequently went on to be a writer and critic and wrote some interesting stuff. He did some later recordings (80s-90s) that bordered on being New Age and unfortunately weren't that interesting.

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's pretty simple. Underrated in this context just means that you don't feel that they have gotten their due respect as a guitarist. Yes, most of them come from respected bands, but few of them get remembered as great guitarists in their own right.

24. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

or this guy...

[​IMG]

25. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Me, I don't think I am even rated.

Sean, BDC, mark winstanley and 12 others like this.