Who are the musician's musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slideroni, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Hal Blaine

2. John Paul Jones

DJ LX likes this.
  3. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

ALBERT LEE-HANDS & FEET......EMMYLOU HARRIS'S/ROSEANNE CASH'S LEAD GUITARIST OF CHOICE....AMAZING!!

DJ LX likes this.
  4. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

anybody who's been in Toto or recorded with Steely Dan ;)

5. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

Bruce Langhorne​

6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I think G E Smith fits this description. He could join any musician/group and make them sound better.

Another Steve likes this.
  7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Mark Knopfler's not a fan... at least as it concerns JB's solo on "Private Dancer."

"The song Private Dancer, as many of you will know, was written by Mark Knopfler - and when I interviewed him last year he told me the song was ruined due to 'them drafting in Jeff Beck to play the world's second ugliest guitar solo.'" The worst guitar solo in the world

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Doc Watson who influenced many...

Zappateer likes this.
  9. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Marty Stuart

Ever time he comes to town I usually see tons of local musicians at his gigs.

Another Steve likes this.
  10. Michael

Slash...

11. Michael

umm. No! LOL...

12. Michael

good one!

13. Michael

just think about it...Les Paul has his guitar named after him and millions of guitar players still play "his" guitar everyday...one of the best guitars I ever played, BUT heavy as hell! Great, great sound...a guitar that makes one shine!

Marc Bessette likes this.
  14. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Paul McCartney

15. stargold

stargold Forum Resident

John McGeoch

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  16. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

[​IMG]
    CHRIS SPEDDING

melstapler and danasgoodstuff like this.
  17. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Danny Gatton - at least that is what a guitar playing friend to me.

18. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Warren Zevon

19. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Randall Bramlett

[​IMG]

Randall Bramblett (born 1948) is an American musician and singer-songwriter, whose career as a solo artist, session player, and touring musician, has spanned more than three decades. He has worked with Gregg Allman, Bonnie Raitt, Goose Creek Symphony, Robbie Robertson, Elvin Bishop, Steve Winwood, Bonnie Bramlett, B.J. Thomas, Widespread Panic, and Roger Glover.[1] He plays keyboards, saxophones, guitar, mandolin, and harmonica, and his songwriting is influenced by blues, folk, and gospel music.

20. Reeves Music

Reeves Music Well-Known Member

There was a multitude of studio musicians that were the "first call" people when you were recording.

The principle collective groups in the US were The Wrecking Crew, The Nashville A-Team, The Muscles Shoals Rhythm Section, The Funk Brothers, The Memphis Boys, Booker T. and the M.G.'s, The Section, MFSB (Mother Father Sister Brother), The Andantes, The Memphis Horns, The Ron Hicklin Singers, and The Jordanaires.

Some of the groups and individuals have been mentioned, Hall Blaine, Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, Chet Atkins, etc. There's a full list of them at the bottom of my web page at:

Reeves Piano and Synthesizer Music The Unsung Magicians Behind the Music Page

Reeves

21. Justanamericanboy

Justanamericanboy Forum Resident

The Band

All of them !

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

there are simply too many to list.

Go into Nashville on a weekend, head down to Broadway and poke your nose into several clubs.

If its a friday or saturday nite, you're likely to get treated to performances by working, touring virtuoso players who are either between gigs or tours or on short break before their big tour starts up again.

i'll offer one up, has anyone mentioned Elliot Randall? Best known for playing the guitar lead intro to Steely Dans Reelin in the Years but I daresay he has been largely forgotten... helluva guitar player, that guy

Elliot Easton of the Cars too.

Like I said, too many to list. People who listen to mostly mainstream pop or country are not like us here on the forum. They care about the singer and more or less nothing else.

Recordfan likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

NRBQ members 1966-2006

24. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Col. Bruce Hampton Ret. (RIP)

Died the ultimate musician's musician death (sad but true):

"On May 1, 2017, Hampton was honored by his friends at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia for his 70th birthday. Dubbed Hampton 70: A Celebration of Col. Bruce Hampton, it was an all-star concert featuring Widespread Panic members John Bell, Dave Schools, Duane Trucks, and Jimmy Herring; blues guitarist Tinsley Ellis; Peter Buck of R.E.M; steel guitarist Darick Campbell; saxophone player Karl Denson; Drew Emmitt and Vince Herman of Leftover Salmon; Jon Fishman of Phish; banjo player Rev. Jeff Mosier; guitarist Warren Haynes; Drivin N Cryin frontman Kevn Kinney; Atlanta jazz-staple Johnny Knapp; Chuck Leavell; Athens rock-troubadour T. Hardy Morris; 13-year-old guitar prodigy Brandon Niederauer; slide guitarist Derek Trucks and blues singer Susan Tedeschi of the Tedeschi Trucks Band; John Popper of Blues Traveler; funk bassist Kevin Scott; keyboardist Matt Slocum; Denny Walley of Frank Zappa fame; gypsy-metal guitarist Emil Werstler; Oliver Wood of The Wood Brothers; and MLB pitcher Jake Peavy. The Colonel’s Sling Blade co-star, actor Billy Bob Thornton cancelled due to illness.

During the encore performance of the show, Hampton suffered a medical emergency and collapsed on stage.[17] Onlookers and his fellow musicians initially either did not notice that Hampton had collapsed, or thought it was a ruse. As a result, Hampton lay face down at Niederauer's feet, his left arm draped over a stage monitor, as Niederauer soloed on "Turn on Your Love Light". The band played for several minutes before Hampton was taken offstage; he died shortly thereafter at Emory University Hospital Midtown in Atlanta, Georgia."

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Hendrix liked Sha Na Na at Woodstock; supposedly a good deal of the musicians there seeing them liked them and got them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.