Who are you currently obsessed with?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

The Kinks. I finally have all their deluxe versions of their albums from the debut Kinks up through Muswell Hillbillies. The 3 disc VGPS was $50 total and Muswell Hillbillies was $40, but the rest of them were around $15. The only ones I had were the first two albums, and the new Lola set. I like that the deluxe versions of The Kink Kontroversy, Face To Face, Something Else and Arthur have that clear plastic sleeve instead of the sticker like the others have, wish they all had sleeves. Anyway all the sets came at once, so I've got a ton of listening to do, should be fun. :)

Also bought the 3 CD 1 DVD set of the CSNY 1974 set and that is coming today, didn't think the Kink sets would come so quick!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Criminy pete and BIG ED like this.
  2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Currently obsessed with George Duke in the Frank Zappa era, and various inter-related zigzags spinning out of that. I'm actually kinda "roleplaying" pretending that I'm coming at it from the other direction, like from Cannonball Adderly, then into George Duke, Jean Luc Ponty, and now who is this other rock dude with the beard and the guitar, up there playing ROCK, with a bunch of freaks and George Duke on synth. I'm sorta pretending that I've never heard of Frank Zappa before, and I'm checking out George Duke, as if Zappa was unfamiliar to me and this was just some crazy weird rock gig that George took on, and it stuck! And it's awesome hearing the music that way...There are a lot of recordings and videos in this area of time that I sorta knew about, but never really listened to before now. George Duke and Frank Zappa....those two together were really fantastic....

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That's a great record.

Mine, currently:

Sunn O)))
    mid-late '60s Stevie Wonder
    Dave Van Ronk

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Most recently, I'd say The Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope (not really "obsessed", but heavy exploration/playing.

A couple of years ago I went a little nutty for The Bee Gees - especially the '60s stuff.

rockinlazys and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. dlank

dlank Forum Resident

Ace frehley's Space Invader Cd.
    I don't know why I like it so much but I do. I play it over and over and over..........

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  7. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Replacements. Heading out tomorrow for the show.

8. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

I just discovered True Widow. Slow, creepy, smooth........been on heavy rotation for a few days now.

9. notesofachord

Got a mono myself last year. :edthumbs:

10. notesofachord

I got the 5CD version of The Stranglers' Old Testament box set earlier this summer (it contains basically their entire '77-82 UA years material).

So basically that was >80% of what I listened to during the first three weeks of July.

I think that qualifies as an obsession - right? :winkgrin:

Criminy pete and Tristero like this.
  11. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Dave Mason. I am very familiar with Traffic but now exploring his solo work.

tyler8 likes this.
  12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Oh nooooo!!! Another "Dark Star"!!!:

JJ

Sternodox likes this.
  13. worldwidewarhol

worldwidewarhol Well-Known Member

The Cure (Paris is on in the background) and Death Grips are probably my two most current obsessions.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

:sigh: I'll miss the Death Grips.

15. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I've heard a lot of great things about Death Grips....they were supposed to open the show I went to with Soundgarden and NIN...I don't really know what happened but I heard they broke up....not sure how you can fall apart when a GREAT slot on that tour presents itself...something pretty major must have gone down./

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. worldwidewarhol

Death Grips were sort of known for being a bit antagonistic to...well everything lol, their record label, fans, etc. It reminds me of when they were scheduled to play Lollapalooza a few years back but never even had the intention of showing up.

rbmitch2 likes this.
  17. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Art Pepper. His 1975> material is just brilliant. Can't stop listening to it.

18. worldwidewarhol

I will forever be kicking myself for not seeing them at Bonnaroo in 2013.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. SpinningInfinity

I gotta hear them now!

worldwidewarhol likes this.
  20. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

The Swans last 3 or 4

21. SpinningInfinity

damn they are good....I just checked out about 5 songs on youtube....just random picks...it's very cool.

going to have to grab these...for sure

thx/

worldwidewarhol and JohnnyQuest like this.
  22. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Saw him this weekend and obsessing a little. Diggin' his later stuff at the mo'...

23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I see I'm not the first one in this thread to say Jenny Lewis. I've been listening to The Voyager, mostly. But also the previous two. Maybe I'll dig up the Rilo Kiley, next.

24. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

[​IMG]

I don't really listen to a lot of hip-hop but I LOOOOVE this album!!!!!!!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. demetri_j

demetri_j Forum Resident

Helen Stellar

LordJohn likes this.